Received a 220/50Hz table and have 110/60hz power

Funky54

Crap............ What should I do? Just bought a Roksan Radius 5.2 table only to finally receive it after weeks and weeks of waiting, and find its 220-240 / 50Hz. I live in the us with 110 / 60Hz. Is there any affordable gizmo that not only steps the 110 to 220 but also steps the 60hz down to 50Hz?

I am very very discouraged.

If YOU have succsessfully converted from 110 / 60Hz to 220 / 50Hz and ran a belt driven AC synchronous table reliably and regularly for longer than 6 months, please let us know in this thread.

Last edited:
Something in the owner's manual suggests that the motor might be switchable, perhaps automatically.
of the tone arm and connected to the phono input of the amplifier without pulling
on to the Radius5. It is important to ensure the phono input is correct with the
type of cartridge you are using and that the tone arm cable ground lead is firmly
attached to the phono grounding point.

Note that the cartridge/tone arm should be assembled according to
manufacturer’s instructions to ensure correct geometry, tracking weight and
anti-skate force.

Connect the power lead to the correct voltage mains supply and switch the
Radius5 on. The Radius5 platter will start to rotate at the speed corresponding
to the position of the drive belt on the pulley and the mains supply frequency. In
most countries, 220-240Vac supplies are at 50Hz and 110-120Vac mains are at
60Hz. If you are unsure of your mains supply frequency, you can check both
pulley positions and verify the correct selection by listening to a piece of music.
Please note that the motor body is de-coupled and it will oscillate back and forth
while it synchronises with the mains frequency and gets to the correct speed.
This method of mounting and isolating the motor ensures minimal motor noise
break through and stabilises the continuous running speed.

http://www.roksan.co.uk/pdfs/Radius5um1.pdf

John

That would be great news for the OP! :thmbsp:

I read that too. But it sure doesn't look like you can. Definitely no visable switch.

For a guy like me, this is some very serious coin to spend only to wait weeks to get the wrong thing. I'll probably lose shipping if I send it back. Who knows if I'd even get my money back. I'm just discusted.

No more. Way too much money to spend for nothing but disappointment and misery.

Last edited:
I read that too. But it sure doesn't look like you can. Definitely no visable switch.

For a guy like me, this is some very serious coin to spend only to wait weeks to get the wrong thing. I'll probably lose shipping if I send it back. Who knows if I'd even get my money back. I'm just discusted.

reading the instructions, it doesn't say there is a switch, it mentions attaching the power cord to the correct Vac input on the table, and then putting the belt on the correct groove vs line frequency.

reading the instructions, it doesn't say there is a switch, it mentions attaching the power cord to the correct Vac input on the table, and then putting the belt on the correct groove vs line frequency.

The version I received (5.2) only has two grooves and not four. I've seen an older version with a Manuel that does show four grooves, but I'm guessing either that's one they send to US distributors or its discontinued. As far as taps on the motor, I'm unsure. It's sealed and since I may return it, I don't want to open it unless I know for sure they are there. I purchased it from a Italian distributor not thinking or knowing of the issue.

Maybe Roksan will send me the pulley and I could use the transformers that convert 110 to 220?

As far as taps on the motor, I'm unsure. It's sealed and since I may return it, I don't want to open it unless I know for sure they are there.

No, I wouldn't do that. If the pulley's only a two step 50Hz one, I'd have to think it's a straight 220vac motor. Also, if the motor had multiple inputs, they'd be accessible without any disassembly.

I purchased it from a Italian distributor not thinking or knowing of the issue.

I'd contact the distributor and ask whether he has access to the multi-voltage model or, if it exists, a straight 110vax/60Hz model. Perhaps he would do an exchange. It might cost you freight both ways but a pulley and a SUT will cost you something too.

John

F54: Always hard to judge your actual options, if there's not much known about how that drive actually works. For example, the motor box might as well contain a DC-powered two-phase generator to drive a lower voltage type of synchronous AC motor - so that the mains power frequency would be pretty irrelevant, and you'd only need a little step-up converter for US use. Or it could be like the classic Dual belt-drives, which use a 110/115/120 V AC motor and in 220/230/240 V configuration simply burn away the other half of the input voltage with a resistor in series - so that these are easy to reconfigure, but require different pulley for 50 and 60 Hz mains frequency.

Hence it would indeed be wisest to check with Roksan or your regional distributor, if you don't want to open the motor box yourself and have look what's going on in there...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

When you bought it did you specify you wanted a US model? The problem is most of Europe, and in fact the rest of the world, is on 220v 50hz, so that's the default.

Before you do anything, contact Roksan and ask them. Forums won't help as they can only give educated guesses. I certainly wouldn't plug the thing in before contacting the maker.

When you bought it did you specify you wanted a US model? The problem is most of Europe, and in fact the rest of the world, is on 220v 50hz, so that's the default.

Before you do anything, contact Roksan and ask them. Forums won't help as they can only give educated guesses. I certainly wouldn't plug the thing in before contacting the maker.

I did not specify. I did not know I needed to. He didn't list specs anywhere showing it either. It was in English so no mental red flags jumped out at me.

I am so far, unable to make contact with Roksan. Their server keeps rejecting sent emails to tech or sales. The vendor is recommending a 110v tranny that doesn't address the 50hz vs 60Hz. I made mention and asked him to see what roksan says. I don't think he cheated me. I don't think he's used to shipping to the US. I may just have to return it. If I do I think l stick with my pl 530. Such a bad taste in my mouth over all this.

PM me with the serial number and I'll try to contact them. Was the turntable new, by the way?

Yes it was new. I finally was contacted by a Bob. He only offered for me to send it to them to change out all the parts. I'm reasonable sure not for free. Seems real silly to send a brand new never used table to change out all parts... Shipping... Costs of parts... Labor...

If you have connections that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom