Share your favorite moments in LIVE albums

I recently picked up a used (beat up but cheap) copy of Rare Earth's live album from way back when -- which I remembered fondly... and which is pretty good.

Yea I like the part where they tell the people to get out of the water. Because the might get electrocuted.

My all time favorite Duane solo is in "One Way Out" on Fillmore East.

There is a video moment from "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" when a little dog wanders onstage and the backup singers pick him up and hold him while singing (I think) "With a Little Help From My Friends".

Neil Young, Weld
Eric Clapton, 24 Nights
Pink Floyd, Live in Pompei
Pink Floyd, DSoT
Pink Floyd, Pulse
Just a couple that come to mind, no particular order,,,

Regards,
John

REO Speedwagon

Keep Pushin' followed by Riding the Storm Out.

Wore out my copy long ago. Note to self, replace it.

Good God, the seeds planted on this site can get expensive.

I've always thought this album was underrated. I don't play it often but, when I do, it draws me in. The interaction on "157 Riverside Avenue" is most enjoyable.

Do You Feel... in Frampton Comes Alive. Audience interaction, feedback, and sound all conspire for me to be special. If you see a VERY good youtube video of this song and the LP released music (it's edited but includes enough period and actual clips to be pretty true to the time), you'd see all of this playing out.

:yes: :music:
This has always been one of my favourites.

Pink Floyd, DSOT, On the Turning Away and Comfortably Numb still gives me goosebumps.

Paul "Mex" Gonsalves' 27-chorus solo on "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue" from the Ellington at Newport album. "Come on, Paul — dig in! Dig in!"

"SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH ARENA!"

Just recently picked up the 2014 reissue of Iron Maiden's "Live After Death" which I had on cassette when it was originally issued. Of course I had to get the LP reissue of such a pivotal album for me!

I have a live Tape of P,P, And Mary when they visited in 1964. We used Altec M-30 and M-20 mics feeding 2 Ampex mixers driving an Ampex 300 with 354 electronics an Altec tube mixer, a Mc 275 and 2 Altec 210 speakers. There's an Album of them at a college concert that sounds almost the same except the highs above 7khz aren't present like the tape we have and our tape is much quieter. You can actually hear voices in the audience when asked to sing along.

Other tapes I have of the US Navy Band, the Norad Band, and the US Marine Band from the 70's have a rich midrange and bass with clarity not found on todays CD's. I contribute the difference to the locations of the concert and the fact I was using 3 Neumann KM-86 for the direct pickup and 2 M250's for ambience pick up and AKG C60 for soloists.

Lets see there 4 or 5 generations between the master tape and the final LP, which degraded the sound. With todays digital recordings I guess that isn't an issue anymore.

Here again there is so much more clarity. We were using a Ampex 300-4 this time with the same MX35 mixers. Maxell had introduced UD tape by this time and with the aid of DBx professional noise reduction systems distortion was reduced and signal to noise increased . Yet there was that lovely tube sound to be enjoyed.

The thunderous response to Kiss after "Deuce" from "Alive".

The thunderous lengthy response to Peter Frampton after "Do You Feel Like We Do" on "Frampton Comes Alive"

The incredibly loud response to The Cure after "End" on "Show"

Seger's pause in Nutbush City Limits on Live Bullet

“As I told everybody last night, I was reading in Rolling Stone where they said that Detroit audiences are the greatest rock and roll audiences in the world. I thought to myself, ‘Shit. I’ve known that for 10 years."

You better watch out for the police....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom