Trouble with C Clip - Suggestions?

ringading

I am restoring an RCA Victrola console and am now working on the TT. It does work but struggles a bit through the change cycle, most likely due to built up old grease.

In removing the slide mechanism to get to the flywheel I came across this little c clip that needs to be removed. I have tried to remove with a small screwdriver but cannot seem to budge this baby. Note that below it is a washer and below that is a spring that holds the whole thing in compression.

I don't want to force anything and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to remove one of these? Is there a tool that can be used with the two small holes on the arms to pry it open enough to get it off?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Attachments

• DSCF6880.JPG
    DSCF6880.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 95
you need either proper circlip pliers https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...nOygPEloLQCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1000&bih=532
or a pair of long nose pliers and maybe grind the ends to suit .
you need external pliers by the way

The needle nose pliers can work but it's a PITA because you have to spread the jaws and handles apart to remove the ring, (sometimes referred to as a "snap ring") so it takes two hands. Also, with the needle nose pliers, there's a greater chance that the snap ring will go flying off into the ozone when you remove it.

Best is what petehall suggested, external circlip pliers or "outside snap ring pliers". Ideally, you'll want one that comes with several sizes of replaceable jaws so that you have the right size for that snap ring and any others you may encounter.

These are pretty slick. They have a set of replaceable jaws and can be either inside or outside.

http://www.amazonsupply.com/williams-pl-1600c-snap-ring-pliers/dp/B001DNRNEY

John

I've had success using 2 small nails. First gently spreading and pulling back on one side of the clip, while holding the other side stationary, to a point where I can get a jewelers screw driver into the slot and pop it off. Just do it on a carpeted area, so the clip won't bounce into a dark hole, never to be seem again. You can always get spares at the local hardware store. If you have arthritis, get help.

Yep use snap ring pliers. When their that small. They are really tough to get them off without them.

What everybody has said.

And although it is not impossible to remove those with out the proper tool, those little clips have the ability to launch themselves into space at close to the speed of light. :D:D:D

External snap rings of this size require the proper size tips on the pliers. If you want to do the job right, get the Snap ring Pliers set with adjustable handles for internal and external snap rings and replaceable tips. Sometimes the 90 degree and 45 degree tips come in pretty handy.
Just sayin'.

John - thanks for the link. Ordered a pair. I have used other methods for years with mixed results. Never lost a clip but have sent my fair share flying. Then spend two hours trying to locate it. Not fun.

After I lost one working on a TT, that I really wanted to get up and running, I drove straight to my local ACE and bought a snap ring pliers with an assortment of ends. You really need to have these in your TT tool box.

I have the HF set, comes with a bunch of different sizes and shapes. Not amazing quality, but good enough for my needs. I got them on sale for the cost of a greasy cheeseburger and they have proven far more useful.

I have the HF set, comes with a bunch of different sizes and shapes. Not amazing quality, but good enough for my needs. I got them on sale for the cost of a greasy cheeseburger and they have proven far more useful.

Hey, don't knock greasy cheeseburgers! ;)

John

Concur that investing in a snap ring pliers kit is the solution. They're like a plumber's basin wrench: Specialized tools that are good for only one job. But sure saves a heap of aggravation when that job needs to be done.

Wow thanks for all the great suggestions and especially the links. I have a Harbor Freight close to me so I will run up and grab a pair that look like they will fit.

God knows I have spent my share of time on hands and knees looking for the clip that took off like a rocket.

If successful I will post a pic.

Well, I picked up pair at the local big box store. Snapped the c clip in two when I pulled it off. The tool I got was not great - had to file down the pins so they would fit and the interchangeable heads would come off easily if you moved them the wrong way. I guess that is what you get for $14.

Ordered a set of c clips so I should be set for awhile and don't have to worrk so much about losing them when they fly off into the nether regions.

OOPS!

It's possible that part of the difficulty was your technique. Spring steel isn't all that "bendable". If it were, it wouldn't be springy. Adding to that is the age of the snap ring so it's a good idea to proceed cautiously. My preference is to spread the sides of the snap ring just far enough to get it free of the ditch it fits into. It reduces both the possibility that it will break and that it will go into low earth orbit.

John

One version of the old Jesus clip. That's what you say as it flies out of sight. First place I encountered these little demons was on a quadrajet carburetor.

heh, I know the Q-jet clips of which you speak. Ford used a different one on their AOD kickdown cable. There is a little brass bushing and a clip that vanishes with a curse.

Back
Top Bottom