Disappointed with Rega RP1 - what are the alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be gone with the Rega, ship it back to Amazon, get a refund and say good by for good, no second, third chances. Go to the U-Turn site put in your order for a new Orbit, I guarantee you that you will be pleased with the performance/sound quality with money to spare from your Amazon refund.

remove belt and spin spindle

IF you havent packed it up yet I would at least remove belt and spin the spindle with the power off to see if the noise is still there and if spins smoothly so you know for sure if your issue is the motor, spindle or bearing.

IF you havent packed it up yet I would at least remove belt and spin the spindle with the power off to see if the noise is still there and if spins smoothly so you know for sure if your issue is the motor, spindle or bearing.

I couldn't hear much noise spinning the spindle with my fingers. I moved it up and down a few times (I have done this before - thought I'd try a few more times) and turned it on. It was very loud without the belt.

Good luck on the return, I hope all works out. It sucks that you got a defective table and could not enjoy the product out of the box. Now you have to set a side time to return it to the UPS/ Fedex location and wait for a new unit to be shipped. I have no experience with the U turn, Rega, Pro-Jects, Music Hall's, or AT-120's listed in this thread.

These things happen.. even the much fanfared U-turn had a batch of bad spindles despite the rigorous QC, so if the temperatures weren't just right, the spindle would have a lot of friction and cause enormous wow & flutter. They fixed it quickly. The ones in the Wirecutter review were of the batch that suffered the issue, and that's why the table fared so badly in that review.

On this forum the most vocal group of people were claiming the reviewer didn't know what he was doing and implied he was basically bogus or bought off, while all the while it was a problem with the U-turn tables, just like the reviewer said...

The eternal wisdom in this is that people on the internet don't know what they are talking about, because everyone is full of opinion (including me), as it is easy to have an opinion, but much harder to have the knowledge to back it up :D

Reading the internetz it seems Rega really has bad QC issues these days, even with their upper range models, hopefully they have sorted that out or sort it out soon, but whatever you do, I hope you get a good and working table soon :)

Rega blues

O Rega, O Rega , Where out there.Like I posted earlier, about being on my 3rd deck.I still dig it.knowing it's issues-slight platter wobble, minute hum, cheap clown feet, it is still a great deck.My dealer handled all returns, no questions asked.when I returned the 1st one because of a slight hum, back in his store-no hum!He gave me another one, and I upgraded to the upper p.pack for a slight upcharge.you are getting a fantastic arm.they call these "entry level" Thats bull,they are well above that. The Pro-ject, and Music Hall seem to have issues too.When you put in a killer cart into this deck, the arm will complement it to its full potential.I have other decks, but I like it's company.

O Rega, O Rega , Where out there.Like I posted earlier, about being on my 3rd deck.I still dig it.knowing it's issues-slight platter wobble, minute hum, cheap clown feet, it is still a great deck.My dealer handled all returns, no questions asked.when I returned the 1st one because of a slight hum, back in his store-no hum!He gave me another one

It's great to hear you're finally satisfied with one... but really should a newbie vinyl enthusiast have to go through all of that... especially nowadays,as it's more-or-less on-line purchasing which therefore makes it a lot more hassle and expense sending back returns!
At least we're finally getting somewhere now :D

Last edited:
Most "newbie enthusiasts" don't have to go through that at all. You have to realize that mostly you only ever hear about problems on forums. I'm sure there are many thousands of "newbie enthusiasts" who are quite happy with their turntables.

As that same poster you quoted said, it's also way above an entry level deck.

Have you ever owned a Rega turntable, by the way 70? What did you think of it?

Reloop rp-6000. You will have to get the audio technica at-1240 dustcover though. I've tried most of the hanpin's out there and this was my fav. I have yet to compare it to the plx-1000 but I have a feeling it would hold it's own. I have seen it sell new for less than $400 new. Mine was $420 and that was a while ago. Anything below the 6000 is turkey food and the 8000 is def. mostly dj features. The 7000 would not be bad if you wanted to up your budget a bit.

Last edited:
Customers are saying this is no longer an issue. Here is U-turn's info from their Reddit AMA:

Thank you for that information; I hadn't heard of that issue with U-Turn before. Any company could have an issue like that; it's nice that they took care of it, and their customers, so quickly.

I sympathize with your situation as I'm sure it must be difficult, or at least inconvenient, to be without the support of a local store. I'm fortunate to live in an area where I can handle and audition the Denon, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, and Rega turntables that have been mentioned in this thread. The turntables I've seen from these companies all worked great, as well they should since they were set up and checked for proper operation by a qualified dealer prior to being put on display. Whatever route you opt to take, I hope you are able to speedily end up with a good-sounding turntable free of annoying defects.

Kind of a tough spot here, as there are not many alternatives in the new sub $500 category of good turntables. My personal opinion is that the Chinese direct drive clones of the Technics 1200 are not great tables. I wold also say there are appear to be a lot of issues with the bottom of the line Project and Music Hall tables, and I would be wary about spending money on them. About the only table of note worth considering is the U Turn with the acrylic platter option. But I am not 100% sold on that arm, although the table seems to meet the minumum requirement for good vinyl playback. Spending more money doesn't seem to be a sure fire solution either, as the VPI Traveler looks to be discontinued and has had a checkered existence.

Now with all that said, I have had a Project Xpression III Classic in the house, and it was a very nice table. Yes it's a lot more money then the Rega, but it shows that a few steps off the bottom in the Project line can net you a very nice table. Perhaps I would look at the Project Debut Carbon DC Esprit. It's a bit more money than the Rega, but looks to be a nicely made table. Or if you can find a good deal on a Music Hall 5.1, that would be a nice table also. Both are more expensive than your Rega, but I don't see any other major alternatives for new at this price point.

Best of luck with your search, hope you find a table that meets your needs.

Regards
Mister Pig

Mister Pig has spoken! He has pretty much honestly summarized the present state of affairs with todays new entry level turntables from the U-Turn Orbit to $1,000+ turntables like the VPI Traveler to a T. At just about every step something is lacking in performance. The mfgs aren't totally to blame, they are trying to stay competitive at a price point that is unrealistic with consumers unaware of what it costs to mfg a competent turntable in what is a very low volume market. For instance I remember reading prior to the release of the Traveler that VPI was concerned that to meet the price point as to how much they could cut corners. I'm sure this has been the case with all the other mfgs right down the line. Since the OP has ruled out the consideration of a reconditioned, used or vintage table he is left with choosing the lesser of evils from the lineup of new turntables within his budget. Boils down to what he values more, a warranty or taking some minor risk with the potential for better performance.

Mister Pig has spoken! He has pretty much honestly summarized the present state of affairs with todays new entry level turntables from the U-Turn Orbit to $1,000+ turntables like the VPI Traveler to a T. At just about every step something is lacking in performance. The mfgs aren't totally to blame, they are trying to stay competitive at a price point that is unrealistic with consumers unaware of what it costs to mfg a competent turntable in what is a very low volume market. For instance I remember reading prior to the release of the Traveler that VPI was concerned that to meet the price point as to how much they could cut corners. I'm sure this has been the case with all the other mfgs right down the line. Since the OP has ruled out the consideration of a reconditioned, used or vintage table he is left with choosing the lesser of evils from the lineup of new turntables within his budget. Boils down to what he values more, a warranty or taking some minor risk with the potential for better performance.

Mark this day on your calendar, Majik and I are pretty much in agreement. I know you said no used, but I am going to toss my opinion out there as an option if those new choices don't work for you. If the $500 budget is set in stone, then IMHO (watch this Majik) find a lightly used Technics 1200 off your used market and put as nice a cartridge on it as you can afford, and call it good. The 1200 has a lot of parts available for it, requires minimal maintenance, and is a competent spinner of vinyl. I don't think you could go wrong with that table for the $500 range and under. If you want to invest money in it at a later date, have KAB USA rewire the tone arm, and use the silicone dampening trough option they make. But before you do that, invest in a quality record cleaning machine for your vinyl.

Once again, hope you find a satisfactory solution for your record spinning needs.

Regards
Mister Pig

It took me until now to realize that the motor sound is audible in the speakers. I have to put my ear right up to it while silence is turned up a bit, but it's there.

I also realized something I should have done a long time ago - lightly tap on the turntable while it's playing. I'm sure I did that as a kid, back when I would "scratch" crappy records on crappy turntables with no idea what I was doing. I was probably 10 years old or something. I've since become a very critical listener and ultra-respectful to vinyl and turntables, but I forgot some of the qualities of record players. I handle everything as lightly as possible, without touching anything I don't have to.

I just tapped around on the RP1 a little and instantly got a new perspective on how vibrations are transduced into audio through a turntable. I'm probably going to move my sub away from the base of the rack the TT is on now. Anyway, just thought I'd mention that.

It took me until now to realize that the motor sound is audible in the speakers. I have to put my ear right up to it while silence is turned up a bit, but it's there.

I also realized something I should have done a long time ago - lightly tap on the turntable while it's playing. I'm sure I did that as a kid, back when I would "scratch" crappy records on crappy turntables with no idea what I was doing. I was probably 10 years old or something. I've since become a very critical listener and ultra-respectful to vinyl and turntables, but I forgot some of the qualities of record players. I handle everything as lightly as possible, without touching anything I don't have to.

I just tapped around on the RP1 a little and instantly got a new perspective on how vibrations are transduced into audio through a turntable. I'm probably going to move my sub away from the base of the rack the TT is on now. Anyway, just thought I'd mention that.

Well you certainly may be having feedback issues with a subwoofer in close proximity to table. The Regan is a low mass design with no suspension. So getting it isolated from outside vibration is critical. One common solution is to use a wall shelf, especially on a load bearing wall if possible.

Your subwoofer could be feeding the motor noise back through the table in an endless loop, something worth exploring.

Regards
Mister Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom