integrated amps and receivers with MC stages?

dogwan

Dogwan
EDIT: at the suggestion of some of the contributors to this thread I have compiled the list to a spreadsheet which can be found here....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gs5hN-YUX8gQ3Qy_4Vna7M0RGdMz66zwq6Af4v5n86o/edit?usp=sharing

Also, see longer explanation in post #47.

Original post: How 'bout a list of integrated amps and receivers that have MC capabilities built in? I've never seen a comprehensive listing.

I'll start....

I have 2 Hitachis and they both do MC pretty well.

The first is the IA-1000 integrated, 1972, 55 watts, 2 phono inputs. Only one of the input is switchable between MC-MM on the back panel.

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

The second is a HA-7700, not sure of year, 70 watts of lovely MosFet power. 2 phono inputs, both switchable on the front panel. As an added bonus you can change the loading on the MM section. The MC section on this one is very, very quiet.

IMG_1923.JPG

Last edited:
That Hitachi is very Kenwoodesque.

Gonna be hard to do a comprehensive list. It was rare in the mid-70s and I was surprised when I saw that Hitachi had it. Some required transformers, Pioneer and Luxman to name a couple, as options to allow use but they plugged into the unit. By the early 80s the MC input became more common but not in receivers.

Good luck with your search. Maybe buy and orion guide on the bay and google each integrated amp and receiver and look for the mc option.

Another one would be the Yamaha CA-2010. This is an integrated amp. It has connections for two TTs. Phono 1 is good for both MM and MC. You can switch from the front. You can also change the loading on this one. Phono 2 is only for MMs and is set at 47K.

Sharp Optonica SM-4545, Pioneer SA-9800, Pioneer SX-D7000, Luxman L-507S, Luxman L-505U, Luxman L-550, Luxman L-530, Luxman L-525, Luxman L-510, Luxman L-480, Luxman L-435, Luxman L-430, Luxman L-235, Kenwood KA-7020, Kenwood KA-1100D, Kenwood KA-9077,

Yes, pretty hard to do a comprehensive list. I will add a couple I know of though as I have personal experience with them.

Mitsubishi did it on a number of models for example. The M-P01 (ok it's a preamp) has MM and MC, as does the DA-R20. I'm sure there are others.

Mitsubishi separates by Buhduh, on Flickr

Mitsubishi DA-R20 by Buhduh, on Flickr

It is just "WOW" this Hitachi.

I have an Onkyo Integra from the same era (model 732) which unfortunately lacks some text from the front plate, and i still have to refurbish it (it is supposed to be defective).
This does have a MC input also. I was surprised finding this feature when I bought it, because on many later well regarded expensive amps (like my Luxman L309V) it is "still not there".

BTW most of the not-budget amps from the eighties did have the MC feature, so this list would grow bigger than one might think at the start.

Last edited:
Technics SU-V9 integrated 120 wpc. Also has adjustable loading.

Sansui AU-919 integrated 100 wpc.

Sansui Z-9000 receiver 120 wpc.

There's loads of integrated amps that came equipped with MC stages as well as MM ones... a few of the top of my head would include: Technics SU-8077,SU-8088,SU-V9,SU-V5,Kenwood KA-907,Sansui AU-X1,Sansui AU-919.

The Rotel RA-1412 :thmbsp:

Power output : 2x 110W (RMS, minimum, 20Hz...20Khz, both channels driven, rated THD)
THD : 0,1% (rated output, rated power bandwidth)
IMD : 0,03% (1Khz / -1dB, rated output)
Frequency response : 3Hz...100Khz (main IN, ±3dB, 1W per channel, 8 Ohm, both channels driven)
Damping factor : 80 (±10%)
Power bandwidth : 5Hz...40Khz
Phono overload : > 300mV
Phono RIAA : ± 0,2dB
Phono S/N ratio : > 75dB (IHF-A, closed circuit)
Phono input : 2 - 4 - 8mV / 25 - 50 - 100kOhm Lines S/N ratio : > 95dB
Lines input : 150mV / 50kOhm
Outputs : 350mV / 3,3kOhm (record out RCA, 5mV input)
120mV / 90kOhm (record out DIN, 5mV input)
Bass control : ± 10dB at 100Hz
Trable control : ± 10dB at 10Khz
Loudness : + 10dB / + 3dB (100Hz / 10Khz, position 1)
+ 20dB / + 6dB (100Hz / 10Khz, position 2)
High filter : 12dB/octave above 8Khz
12dB/octave above 12Khz
Low filter : 12dB/octave below 30Hz
Subsonic filter : 12dB/octave below 15Hz
Muting : -20dB

pics_v2.jpg

I would imagine MC staging started entering the the separates first as home consumer goods.

How about a Sansui CA-F1 Preamp

712956-sansui_baf1_amplifier_amp_caf1_preamplifier.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, pretty hard to do a comprehensive list. I will add a couple I know of though as I have personal experience with them.

Mitsubishi did it on a number of models for example. The M-P01 (ok it's a preamp) has MM and MC, as does the DA-R20. I'm sure there are others.

Mitsubishi separates by Buhduh, on Flickr

I have this system, too! The preamp is really wonderful with a quiet phono preamp. The amp is sweet sounding and amazingly powerful.

Back
Top Bottom