Disappointed with Rega RP1 - what are the alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ergalthema

The platter wobbled about 2mm and there is a beating noise from the motor. Rega sent me a new subplatter and platter. It is slightly less wobbly. Rega told me to run the TT for 48 hours to break in the motor. It has been over 24 and the motor is still as loud. I can hear it in the room with the dust cover on.

Here is a video: https://vid.me/Zy0U

You can see the slight wobble in the hub and hear the noise if you turn up the volume a bit.

I'm considering returning the TT. I'd consider trying another RP1, but now that I've searched for "Rega motor noise", etc., it looks like may people have the same problems. My budget is $500 (and that's pushing it). Are there a few popular options that stand out in that range? I know that people like to recommend used turntables, but I've tried that and had bad results. I want something new with a warranty.

I'm aware of the Pro-Ject Debut III. The negative reviews I see are about equal to what I've seen of Rega, if not more. So, I'm skeptical.

And I know the AT-LP120 is popular in my price range.

I have a barely-used AT95E cartridge, if that matters.

So, even if the TT isn't pimped-out with audiophile parts, I'd like something that looks and sounds correct without a record on it. Is that too much to ask? Of course, I want a decent sound when it plays too.

I understand that you don't used but consider this. Say the average Japanese turntable sold for maybe $300 back in the day. Then consider what that would be in today's dollars. Then look at the used market. It would seem to me that your $500 would go a long way and you would have something that a new table in the same price range, can't touch.

Sure sometimes vintage stuff is going to have issues but they were made in an area when products were designed to be repaired. Sure some chips and other parts are unobtainium but I've had many vintage turntables over the years, and today, and have yet to find one I can't fix. For $500, should be able to find a pretty decent used Thorens, Denon, Technics, Dual, whatever floats your boat. I have a 1976 Empire 698 purchased for $60 that other than a head shell repair, lube, belt, and a cartridge change, has worked flawlessly. And it's beautiful to boot. If I get sick of that, I have a B&O 3400 and a Miracord S-45, both working perfectly. And I have a little more than a C-note into all of them.

I would return the TT. That type of movement and noise is completely unacceptable and they need to know it.

New at $500 is going to be a problem if you want something partially decent. I think the AT-LP120 would be a reasonable option and you'd save some dollars to put towards vinyl.

Send that junk back and let then know your not happy. There's really no excuse for sending out a turntable like that.

I picked up a decent thorens td 160 with a shure m91ed a while ago.it took a few hours of tweakin' to get it dialed in.i have other decks,the (3rd) rp1-p.pack , a technics sl -q2 and-just sold denon.the rega, even with it's issues was top dog for a while,until i got that $300 thorens.it now comes down to which cart,and how much i wanna spend. That sl,i got for $80.loaded with a good cart,it's killer for what i paid.that bloody rega arm, however,is really good,and you can hear it.you can get a great used deck,if you look around.would i pay again for the rega,knowing it's faults?.i'd buy it used,simple mods can improve it.

Had simular problem

I have a MMF2 purchased new 15 years ago and I noticed simular issue after about 6 months. I added some synthetic oil to the bearing and issue went away.

If you are looking for new in that price range, though some will disagree, I listened to a couple new Duals recently, both for less than you $500 budget and they sounded nice. Maybe not in the league of a properly functioning Rega, but better than the one in your video by far.

I find the sound of that motor rather soothing.

Seriously, it is pretty loud.

Thanks for uploading that video. A useful documentation of a problem that the manufacturers should never have allowed.

I've been lucky with my vintage TT experience.
I've owned a Micro Seiki DD-40 (Micro DD-7) from 1976 and currently use a Micro DD-8 from 1977.
Nearly 40 years old but they run stong, accurately, and noiselessly.

(Age based joke in 3...2...1...)

Go vintage.

It is about the only area in audio where I shamelessly recommend vintage - sub $1k tables.

It's a new table, you're under warranty. Apparently Rega these days has a lot of QC issues - even on their more expensive tables. Sucks for the customer but if you want one you just need to keep complaining until everything is taken care of...

A great way to ruin a companys image... I think they have got away with it simply because the people who like the Rega way of doing things have been patient to get one that works right. That's for the better decks.. at the entry level I fear the sad reality is many people don't have a clue what a well functioning turntable should be like, so they can take things like motor noise etc. as something that "belongs to vinyl" or something.

Vintage isn't my preference either for many reasons. But be it economy of scale, R&D costs, greed, whatever; one just can't buy a good turntable for less then a grand now. You could get a "vintage" Technics that was built in the 21st century for your budget and be very happy.

Send it back for an entirely new one. I had an RP1 with none of those issues so I know they exist.

Return it to Rega and see if they can sort the problem. They're a reputable company who stand behind their products.

If you want to raise the stakes, contact Rega in the UK directly.

Last edited:
I'd send it back ASAP and get a refund,then go the vintage route and buy something Japanese made from around 1979 within your $500 budget... really there's no excuse whatsoever for companies to be churning out junk TT's like that in this day and age!

I'd send it back ASAP and get a refund,then go the vintage route and buy something Japanese made from around 1979 within your $500 budget... really there's no excuse whatsoever for companies to be churning out junk TT's like that in this day and age!
Are you accusing Rega of turning out junk? That's libel.

I'd give Rega a chance to make it right. $500 isn't throw-away money now, any more than it was 20 years ago. If Art K is using one, I pretty much guarantee they aren't "junk".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom