Clean yer stylus, dammit!

soundweasel

First, some background. After selling my record collection several years ago I decided to get back into vinyl. I've had several good quality turntables -- Marantz 6100, 6200, Technics 1700 (still have and love this TT) and cartridges over the years, all of which were easy to set up and that delivered good sound. I then acquired a Kenwood KD-500 TT with a carbon fiber Infinity Black Widow arm and Ortofon OM20 cartridge.

Everyone was telling me how great this combination should sound, how great the arm was with high-compliance cartridges, etc. But I just wasn't hearing it. :no:

I spent hours aligning the cartridge, setting anti-skate, etc. Nothing seemed to deliver the results I (others) expected. In fact, I thought I'd messed up with the cart alignment because it seemed like the right channel output was noticeably lower than the left. After checking all connections -- amp, preamp, TT, speakers, I could only conclude it was the cartridge. :sigh:

For years I used a wimpy soft bristle brush to wipe any visible debris from the stylus but never used "official" stylus cleaner or a stylus brush.:no:

Well, my order of MFSL LP-9 stylus cleaner and brush arrived today, and I set about cleaning the stylus. Holy Moly what a difference!!:D Apparently the side of the stylus responsible for sound to the right channel had accumulated so much gunk that is now gone, that output from both channels is now balanced! And I am hearing the detail and experiencing the soundstage that was promised! The rate of improvement is quite extraordinary! :yes:

So I paid $25 for a half ounce of something that actually works as advertised. But honestly, the contents of the bottle smell suspiciously like isopropyl alcohol, which I've read is not appropriate for use on styli. :scratch2: Is it the brush that really worked the magic and the liquid is just a placebo?

Long story made short -- clean your stylus! It really can make a huge difference!! :D

I use an Onzow on mine. Dip the stylus in the "goo" about every 10 LP's. Should be more often but it is what it is. Always want a clean stylus... Thanks for the reminder.

I use Mofi LP 9 also, have for a while. That small bottle will last a really long time. I probably clean my stylus about once a week, but I also clean my records with a rcm and Audio Intelligent fluids which helps keep the stylus clean. I've also used Mofi cleaners but like the Audio Intelligent stuff better. Clean records and a clean stylus make a huge difference.
Keep em' clean :D.

RCM is also awesome!

I use Mofi LP 9 also, have for a while. That small bottle will last a really long time. I probably clean my stylus about once a week, but I also clean my records with a rcm and Audio Intelligent fluids which helps keep the stylus clean. I've also used Mofi cleaners but like the Audio Intelligent stuff better. Clean records and a clean stylus make a huge difference.
Keep em' clean :D.

Lovin' my VPI 16, too!

So I paid $25 for a half ounce of something that actually works as advertised. But honestly, the contents of the bottle smell suspiciously like isopropyl alcohol, which I've read is not appropriate for use on styli. :scratch2: Is it the brush that really worked the magic and the liquid is just a placebo?

Long story made short -- clean your stylus! It really can make a huge difference!! :D

Some stylus tip are bonded to the cantilever with adhesive, alcohol should not be use.

Alcohol has no effect on nude mounted stylus tip though. :music:

Alcohol

Some stylus tip are bonded to the cantilever with adhesive, alcohol should not be use.

Alcohol has no effect on nude mounted stylus tip though. :music:

Then I hope the MFSL folks aren't using it.

Must be my nose alignment. :scratch2:

i have a thread about a gel-like viscous fluid cleaner from Extremephono.com. They havent given it any particular name other than stylus cleaner. It has shamed any other method ive tried. Dry vibrating cleaner, conventional dry brush, blu-tack or magic eraser. you put this container on the the platter, then cue the stylus just until the needle is fully into the gel, then lift it right up.

it gets every side of the stylus, and i have fuzz and dirty dots on the top of it....once there are too many, you stir the mixture. They recommend a toothpick, but it seems thick enough to break one, so i used a tiny..3mm screwdriver to stir. i knew nothing of this company before, but i can sure attest to the quality of this product.

Cheers!

—dave

Hamsterdam - thanks for posting about that cleaner. I ordered one to check it out. Sounds very similar to the Onzow product but a bit more viscous. The Onzow requires a washing to clean. Run water over it until the grime is gone and let air dry. With the Solid State cleaner not sure I really like the idea of mixing the grime into my "cleaner" making it "dirtier" and "dirtier" over time. Am I missing something?

The MFSL LP-9 is my current liquid stylus cleaner. When I first got my SAS, I was not aware of its tendency to clean out the grooves due to its ultra tiny diamond. What I really like about it is the very soft brush that is in the bottle with the fluid. It lets me get to it at all angles safely. Afterwards with my 60X loupe any stylus is always spotless. The bottle of stuff will probably last longer than me.

I need to get a loupe...

The MFSL LP-9 is my current liquid stylus cleaner. When I first got my SAS, I was not aware of its tendency to clean out the grooves due to its ultra tiny diamond. What I really like about it is the very soft brush that is in the bottle with the fluid. It lets me get to it at all angles safely. Afterwards with my 60X loupe any stylus is always spotless. The bottle of stuff will probably last longer than me.

...because I'd like to see the difference, not just hear it. I must say I am glad to find out my right ear isn't failing. :yes:

Some great advice and recommendations offered up here. Keep the advice and insights coming, because it's an area I've pretty much overlooked (ignored?) for some time now, and I imagine I'm not alone. :thmbsp:

Try Last stylus cleaner, been around for at least 30 years and nothing but praise from users, no issues if used according to instructions. Last stylus cleaner removed all the built up gunk from preowned cartridges I purchased. Rarely have to use it since all my records are cleaned with VPI 16.5 and AIVS fluids.

Even though my albums are cleaned on a VPI 16.5 I use Last stylus cleaner and Last stylus treatment before playing every side of an LP. I also use a Magic Eraser regularly.

The Magic Eraser is fine for everyday cleaning but may not be able to completely clean built up burnt on gunk off of a neglected stylus. Agree with Mark B that the Last cleaner and Stylast conditioner are top shelf products that will significantly extend the life of the stylus.

The Magic Eraser is fine for everyday cleaning but may not be able to completely clean built up burnt on gunk off of a neglected stylus.

I agree. I have been using Moongel for routine cleaning which I find works rather well.

A while back, I picked up a B&O table and this is what the stylus looked like after using ME and Moongel:

draw_0729-2A.jpg

This is the same stylus after using a Discwasher SC-2 brush:

draw_0729-6A.jpg

Last edited:
What about the magic eraser? I read that it was good to clean a stylus.

Years ago I laid out $70 for something called Extreme Phono stylus cleaner -- a clear gel that you carefully dipped the stylus into to remove dust. It worked fine -- but no better than the Magic Eraser which you can buy for $5 in any grocery store. Search for old threads on it.

Back
Top Bottom