Does anyone modfiy a Technics SL1350 to play 78's

OnlyStantons

HI All I have 3 Technics SL1350's, one is set up for 33 1/3 only the other has both stackers and sits around until company comes around, and the third collects dust. I read here that the mod can be done but I'm not that talented. So I am reaching out to all in hopes someone may know someone who would be willing to make this mod, or should I just invest in another table ?

May or may not be doable. However, I recommend no changer use for 78 discs. They are best single played. Especially WW II era discs. A Technics SP-15 is your best 78 friendly Technics with an Audio-Technica ATP 12-T or ATP 16-T tonearm and no mods needed. And the arm tracks easily at the 3-5 grams many 78 Discs need.

Kent is right on the money (yet again) :) Reason for not stacking 78's is that they don't have a raised edge like LP's, so they'll scratch each other when stacked and they're fragile- chewed up spindle-holes can be very problematic. If the SP-15 is out-of-range, I'd try to find an Elac-Miracord 40H,50H or 770. They're not finicky, still reasonably priced and are capable of sounding very good with even modestly-priced cartridges (think: Shure M91, or M-55).

Yes, it is absolutely doable. I have one and modded it to play 78. If I wanted to stack 78's I can and have for fun, but only 2. I don't recommend that just because of the arm angle with the thickness, but obviously you could, and they were made with that in mind. I do stack 45's on occasion as I have the 1350 45 stacker.

If you do take the previous advice of not stacking then you can easily use your 1350 to play 78's with the quality direct drive it offers on single play. There is no need to spend the $$$$ for a SP-15 or opt for the idler drive of an olde changer. If you wish you could use the more common and excellent performing single play Technics direct drives like the sl-d2 and invest an extra $5 and a half hour to do the mod. I just modded an Sl-d303. It's easy and fun.

Search modify technics 78 rpm on here.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The 45 RPM discs have raised label areas, so scratches less of a problem. The WW II era 78 RPM discs were made out of limestone, laminated cardboard, and shellac. They were delicate even when new. These wartime shortage born discs were also the reason for the demise of the Capehart turnover record changer as well. While the 1300 and 1350 can and have been modified for 78, I recommend 78 RPM be played singly. And auxiliary weights for the headshell may be needed as the slightest warp can send the tonearm flying on 78 RPM discs. So, some amplified explanations on the subject.

Thanks for everyone's concern about stacking 78's but I have no intention of stacking 78's. I only stack 45's and a batch of less than perfect 33's for company's amusement. I am looking to dedicate this table to single play for 33 & 78's only.

I gave my daughter my Dual 1219 when she started collecting 78's, and now am looking for someone who can make this mod for me. There's no one locally willing to do this.
Guys I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy give me a blowtorch I'm good, a soldering iron and electronics in my hands and well it isn't pretty.

I said in my mod post that if you are not comfortable in popping one open and using a soldering iron, don't attempt it. It's too pricey a unit to screw up, and you don't want to injure yourself. But it is an easy mod and the results are great. So, pay the man.

Back
Top Bottom