The Absolute Sound Editors Choice Awards - 7 integrated Amps for less than $1000

It looks beautiful. 90W/ch at 4 ohms so probably 45-60wpc at 8?

Two issues for me- no phono stage, and my biggest frustration, no balance control. Perhaps only issues to me, especially the balance control, as many new product have seemed to have done away with this.

$849.00

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-120508-teac-ai-501da-integrated-amp.aspx

A modern day option for balance controls is 11 step dual attenuaters as found on Bottlehead preamps. Very handy to level out uneven channels.

I've been reading opinions of that Nuforce, and it seems to be a monster! The TAS reviewer even said it was "better than any conventional integrated amplifier I’ve heard priced under $2500."

I was thinking about taking a look at the NAD D 3020, but I may try out the Nuforce instead.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

On the other hand, whats up with both those NADs??
They look like NOS from the early 1990s ( especially that C 356 BEE )

Yeah, isn't it great?! :D

I'm a big fan of that Audiosource AMP-100 that gets recommended in the modern amps thread... but perhaps at less than $100 it was below the threshold for this comparison?

Does anyone have any opinion as to how any of these amps would compare to a re-capped vintage Sansui AU-719 or AU-717?

Short answer , probably not.
Long answer (new thread) with opinions on both sides of the aisle with ( I'm paraphrasing here) Pandosky line, " with so many purses swinging in the air its no wonder a head doesn't get bonked and a few wigs knocked off. My 2c.
If you have the opportunity to try it go for it!

I recently sold off some gear including a Jolida FX-10 which I'd used in a small den with small, inefficient Monitor Audio speakers. The Jolida provided a nice warm tone and very good clarity and imaging. Dynamics were adequate.

After I put the little Jolida on CL I wondered how it would do in my large front room with my Martin Logan Vistas, normally powered by a Jolida 302 of about 50wpc. So I hooked it up and was quite taken with how well the combination worked; the soundstage was very big, deep and wide, and the clarity was excellent. Dynamics were adequate. The little amp really did the trick and made me aware it's sonically compatible for use with loudspeakers of higher quality than many would consider with an amp it's price. Of course the big room helped too. But in any event until then I was unable to appreciate the sonic quality of the little bugger.

When the guy who bought the amp came over later that day to hear it he just about plotzed at the sound from the FX and the Vistas. Quick sale.

Tom, the FX-10 line is a well-kept secret. At a past Fest (2012?) Jolida used the FX-10 to drive a pair of mbl 121 Compact model speakers. Not easy, and 82 db rated. Many listeners, including some of the press corps, were surprised at the results. They had a little credit card-sized DAC that took a feed from an iPod and sent it into that system. MUCH better than the iPod direct feed, which the FX-10 would accept through its stereo mini jack. Small, inexpensive, and it works. Just like the amp.

When I bought the show demo unit, it came with some pretty nice 'old-stock' tubes, as well as the standard issue. The little Jolida responds pretty well to changing the 12AX7s, less so to rolling the EL84s.

In my 3+ decades as a modest home and mobile audiophile, when it comes to amplifiers of decent quality- a significant power rating advantage usually trumps most other sonic benefits. As such the Onkyo A-9070 would be on my short list if I needed a new amplifier.

I have been extremely happy with my Yamaha A-S500 driving a pair of KEF Q300 speakers. When listening to music in my 10x12 study, the amplifier simply does not exist. At 85 watts per channel with high current capability at low distortion, it is all I need.

I recently sold off some gear including a Jolida FX-10 which I'd used in a small den with small, inefficient Monitor Audio speakers. The Jolida provided a nice warm tone and very good clarity and imaging. Dynamics were adequate.

After I put the little Jolida on CL I wondered how it would do in my large front room with my Martin Logan Vistas, normally powered by a Jolida 302 of about 50wpc. So I hooked it up and was quite taken with how well the combination worked; the soundstage was very big, deep and wide, and the clarity was excellent. Dynamics were adequate. The little amp really did the trick and made me aware it's sonically compatible for use with loudspeakers of higher quality than many would consider with an amp it's price. Of course the big room helped too. But in any event until then I was unable to appreciate the sonic quality of the little bugger.

When the guy who bought the amp came over later that day to hear it he just about plotzed at the sound from the FX and the Vistas. Quick sale.

What prompted you to want to sell the FX-10?

There is a Jolia on my local cl..hmm, dude pretty much wants list price but maybee its worth looking at. Seen a few good reviews:scratch2:
Maybee time to take the plunge into tubes.
I wish i hadnt seen this..lol..i feel i may have some new gear by the end of the day.:music:

Last edited:
The one Jolida preamp I had in my room sounded closed in and weak in dynamics. I thought it may be a bad match with my VMPS speakers. I was borrowing one of those triangle shaped original Ice amps (forget th name) at the time.

However, I've tried integrated T amps that sound great with those same speakers.

This new Jolida looks really cool, but i'm skeptical. As for the Brio, the review seemed to hint that it needs easy to drive speakers?

The Nuforce is intriguing.

I am through putting stock in media created audio reviews. I trust reviews and opinions from real world users who have tried the components in their homes and did their best to fit them into their systems.

Even though I live in a major metro area (Chicago) I have extreme difficulty finding any audio stores to actually listen before purchasing.

Right now I have an NAD 326bee in my main system, kind of auditioning for use somewhere else later. I have to say I'm very impressed with this amp. It's driving a difficult 4ohm load, in my rebuilt SDAs, and performing wonderfully. Right now It's pushing Golden Earring-When the lady smiles. The Bass is thumping, treble crisp and clear, with a wide open soundstage, although it does lean slightly toward the low end, running in tone defeat at all times. These speakers have proven too much for my vintage receivers, putting my fully restored SX950 into protect within seconds. The 326 runs only luke warm, unless you push it to house party level for a long while. After about an hour your ears will be ringing and the amp is pretty hot. But you can still comfortably lay your hand on it, and it hasn't shut down on me yet. Impressive indeed.

Back
Top Bottom