NAD vs Rotel

Just a quick note on the 'there is no difference' argument being made: what Arnie's argument comes down to is that there are few reviews that do real measurements of amps. Reviewers do tend to spend more time than I like talking about amps as if they were wines. Still, the lack of current bench measurements to capture something does not mean it doesn't exist.

Arnie makes essentially the same argument about DACs: once DACs are good, they are indistinguishable in the parts of the signal that amplifiers work with and speakers make audible. Yet there are measurable differences even between what are (by reputation) very good DACs. There are measured and quite large differences between the Peachtree DAC-IT and the Auralic DAC. In Stereophile's measurement of the spectrum of 50Hz sinewave signal, DC–1kHz, at 0dBFS the differences between the two DACs are clearly above the noise floor of most amps. In other tests on the two which Stereophile performed, they had to use completely different parameters to test the DacIT because their standard parameters gave meaningless results.

I would be very interested to hear whether there's an objective measurement that can distinguish between the ability of different speakers to create a coherent image. I tend to think there isn't one at this time - but that certainly doesn't mean there couldn't be one. I get the impression there isn't one, because I haven't seen one used.

That certainly doesn't mean there aren't differences in that ability, but that measuring it in a useful way is hard. I think we've all listened to speakers that sound very good but don't image well. And others that sound ok at best, overemphasizing chunks of sound - and yet image surprisingly well.

Right now, I have an NAD 2600 amp and a BK 1400 amp and I would say that side by side, given the rest of my equipment, they are about neck-and-neck. But I agree with Arnie that it's very challenging to listen to the amps objectively - even a db or so of difference in sound output, while not making a speaker sound louder makes that speaker sound better. A test of different speakers fired by different amps drawing from the same source? It's a harder test to do than I understood.

I'm reading up on the Rotel 1570 because it looks like a nice step up from the NAD (at considerable price!) while retaining a lot of what I find convenient about it, including

- the option to drive four speakers
- the ability to drive a sub with volume controlled from the main amplification

The onboard DAC is a very nice option to add, and there's a preference for a high quality integrated over separates being expressed by She Who Also Gets a Vote.

For those who are familiar with the Rotel line, though, a question: Rotel has a set of very nice integrated amps. At the price of the 1570, there are some other excellent pieces of equipment - how well does the amp hold up in comparison
- to its competition
- to its smaller Rotel siblings, assuming I can do with 60 watts into 8 ohms?
- what else would you recommend I listen to?

Most of the input will be coming via fiber from an Oppo 103, a mix of CD, streaming from the (very nice) digitalconcerthall and flac and mp3 streaming from a NAS.

Last edited:
I did the opposite. A NAD C 162 preamp and a Rotel RB 980 BX power amp. I had a Rotel preamp/tuner. First the tuner died and then the phono section developed a grounding hum.

So to bring this back to the topic at hand, unfortunately the NAD C375 aint working out. I listened to it almost all day yesterday. In more than a couple songs, such as reggae and blues rock where the bass guitar is very apparent, at high volumes (however nothing ridiculous) the woofers would make a very unpleasant sound...like they were bottoming out. Now the RTI A7s I'm running are rated to take 300 continuous watts. I think the NAD (and the Rotel would be too) is slightly underpowered. Is it possible that it doesn't have enough current to control the woofers on this speaker? This hunch seemed backed up when I set up my old tsi400s and they SANG...clear as could be. The amp could manhandle them unlike the RTI A7s. So now I'm looking at taking it back and going in the direction of a smaller integrated amp with a nice dac (built in or external) that I could take to my dorm and could run into a new or used b&k or parasound power amp with around 200 watts and more current at home to run the A7s...Does this sound like a good idea? Also can anyone recommend a nice integrated amp with modest power and a nice dac built in or external (with coaxial and pc usb) that I could use effectively as a pre-amp (hopefully under a grand)?

I used to own a set of RTiA7s. I ran them with a NAD L53 (all in one DVD/CD receiver) rated at 50 watts. Never had any issues driving the Polks. I'm surprised that your NAD 375 (rated at 150 watts (with substantially more for transient peaks) is having issues driving the benign load of the RTiA7s (89 db sensitivity and 8 ohm load). weird...

Yep - head over to AVS science forum - look up a guy named Arnyk there. Talk to him or just read his posts. You should see what's he's running to. You have to remember though - he's talking about amps performing in their parameters - not clipping, and not something wrong.

You ever try it? I did - my Hk AVR 520 with the main two channels driven by a PA2000 bridged to 100 watts per side - vs my NAD 375 - sound IDENTICAL to me. Oh, you have to level match it too.

Try it. Or better yet, talk to him about it. First think he'll ask you is YOU prove it - with graphs that clearly show in the same room, with the same speakers, and the same db level, the differences in the sound which can be measured - he has them - a machine can't hear the difference - so how can we?

Just a side bar here, that Arnyk guy is a crank. He loves to have debates that never end. He's rude and belittling to those that disagree with him and is one of those guys who loves the sound of his own voice. He has said that a $20 dvd player is all one needs for music reproduction. 'nuff said.

Just a side bar here, that Arnyk guy is a crank. He loves to have debates that never end. He's rude and belittling to those that disagree with him and is one of those guys who loves the sound of his own voice. He has said that a $20 dvd player is all one needs for music reproduction. 'nuff said.

I've been into it a few times over there with him - so I wanted to argue some stuff here - using his comments. I can hear differences myself which is nice (my ears aren't golden but at least they're not tin ears like he has lol).

He has been in the business a long long time though, he's shown pics of himself on various panels and stuff. Still - he is a 'bit' of a blowhard lol

Back
Top Bottom