The Modded OPPO BDP-103

needforspeed

The Spin Doctor
Subscriber
I purchased this about six months ago, And the on sale price of $349, Was a steal at that time. I had done my 103/105 research, And due to the price, Went with the 103.
Great video, Excellent audio, Out of the box. As nice as it sounded, I had read there were a lot of upgrade options out there, To put the 103 above
and beyond the BDP105, So two weeks ago, With $600 for a budget, I set out to get my "Analog" cd player fix.
Years ago I had sent my OPPO DV983 to a guy who owns ASi Teknologies, And he turned an okay sounding machine, Into a sweet sounding cd
transport. It's still in use by a friend who will not part with it.
I called Doug the owner of ASi, And asked him can he get this to perform with it's bigger brother, And will it be improved over the heavily modded
DV983. He basically told me it will blow either away, And other makes costing twice as much.
I always take those statements with a grain of salt, But shipped my 103 and went with the stage 1 mod which consisted of the following;

Power supply upgrades (Low impedance ultra fast rectifiers, super fast Rubycon Z series DSP/2ch capacitor upgrade, re-work AC inlet &
other sections of switching supply, hard solder all power connections)
Master clock upgrade to Dexa Neutrino reference clock
Extensive vibration damping
Extensive EMI/RFI shielding to entire unit
Transport mechanism tweaks
2CH Analog output stage rebuild (either RCA or XLR sections) (High quality audio signal transformers, silver wiring, etc)

I just got this back, And after a few hours of playing, This thing sounds just very smooth, And super detailed, I had stated over many times I wanted that warm analog vibe, As any digital player has that weird synthetic sound.
Doug told me this will need about 30hours break-in time minimum, So it's shocking it will get even better.
For around $1000, Have a great sounding player, That can perform with amount anything out in this price range or beyond.

Back
Top Bottom