What kind of nutter buys an SACD player in 2014 ?

The heart of the Oppo, the ESS Sabre 32, is manufactured in Fremont California, very near where I work. Which DAC chip does the new Marantz use?

CS4398 - a modestly priced chip that Marantz gets a lot of mileage out of. I'm of the view that it's less about the silicon than the implementation, but you'll find plenty of people who try to tell you 'All SABRE DACs sound the same'.

Marantz use the CS4398 in most of their CDPs and several of their SACD players - the NA11S1 and SA11S3 flagships uses the DSD1792A from TI - I believe this was initially a Burr-Brown chip until they were bought out by Texas Instruments in 2000. No shortage of reviewers out there who seem completley unaware of the changeover.

http://www.ti.com/product/dsd1792a

There was anothe thread somewhere on this forum about Pioneer completely exiting audio/video market.

In a way, yes, the company Pioneer is indeed exiting pthe AV business. However, the brand Pioneer will continue under the control of Onkyo. What will Onkyo do with the Pioneer brand is the question on everyone's mind.

Back
Top Bottom