No love for current Marantz range on AK ?

This was definitely the opinion of my highly trusted dealer who sells the Oppo digital players as well as Marantz, Luxman, Rega, Yamaha and others. A very bright and clinical sound.

Pioneer makes some decent SACD audio only players in Europe (e.g. PD-70, PD-50) and they use the same DAC as the Oppo (ESS Sabre). Reviews of those products have mentioned a harsh, overly bright and fatiguing sound FWIW.

I have relatives in silicon valley (Mountan View, CA, home of Oppo is in the heart of silicon valley). My cousin is employed at an internet marketing firm there and there is opinion that Oppo, although a very good product, has upscaled its audiophile profile via rigorous, almost relentless audio/video forum presence. Similar to Emotiva yet with the product to (almost) back up the hype.

I have little doubt that Oppo has used any and all means at it's disposal to raise its profile but the 105 is one hell of a Swiss army knife. I'm less concerned about advertorials and the like than the fact that it will play virtually any format I know of and I absolutely adore what it does with Blu-Ray movies. I briefly considered just getting a PS3 or even PS4 for movies and games, but I'm happy I went the extra mile. If I had a large SACD collection I suspect that I might have opted for a dedicated player, but for my needs the universal disc spinner is just what the doctor ordered.

As for the Marantz 'house sound', I would characterise my PM6005 as slightly warmer than my old CA amp, but that's fine with me - its my understanding that the higher end amps are much closer to neutral. In any case, short of a Lotto win this will be my one and only speaker amp for the forseeable future. :thmbsp:

I have little doubt that Oppo has used any and all means at it's disposal to raise its profile but the 105 is one hell of a Swiss army knife. I'm less concerned about advertorials and the like than the fact that it will play virtually any format I know of and I absolutely adore what it does with Blu-Ray movies. I briefly considered just getting a PS3 or even PS4 for movies and games, but I'm happy I went the extra mile. If I had a large SACD collection I suspect that I might have opted for a dedicated player, but for my needs the universal disc spinner is just what the doctor ordered.

As for the Marantz 'house sound', I would characterise my PM6005 as slightly warmer than my old CA amp, but that's fine with me - its my understanding that the higher end amps are much closer to neutral. In any case, short of a Lotto win this will be my one and only speaker amp for the forseeable future. :thmbsp:

This is what my dealers mentioned, the unit is a great problem solver. Have you found it sounding better as it burns in? Some report up to 200 hours needed to sound decent.

This is what my dealers mentioned, the unit is a great problem solver. Have you found it sounding better as it burns in? Some report up to 200 hours needed to sound decent.

All I can say is that it does a great job with movies and the few SACDs Ive played on it - I'm afraid I've got so many spanking new headphones (and another headamp incoming) that need hours on them that my priorities are slightly skewed atm - in due course, I'm hoping to get it all sorted. Unlike the obsessive I used to be, leaving something playing endlessly for 10 days simply to be able to tick a box like that no longer holds any joy for me - I'm just going to accrue the hours naturally.

Per a recent post over at CA, those of you who want a DSD128-capable source with a dedicated headphone amp can have one to match all that other high-end Marantz gear in your rack :D

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...ifi&subcatid=usbdaconverters&productid=hddac1

marantz_hd_dac1.jpg

If you want network streaming, the NA-11S1 is the player that converted John Atkinson to the merits of DSD as a viable format - 'While I've been skeptical about the 1-bit sigma-delta encoding format used by DSD, the sound of these files streamed to the Marantz was among the best I have experienced in my system'

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...&subcatid=networkaudioplayer&productid=na11s1

Marantz_NA-11S1_Front.jpg

And finally, Marantz havent forgotten those on a tighter budget who want to alternate spinning discs with DSD playback from a computer source -

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...d=hifi&subcatid=sacdcdplayer&productid=sa14s1

image-BFEA_53F46C07.jpg

Apologies if this post seems like a sales pitch, but after several years where Marantz seemed to be sitting on their hands they've shown that they're willing to throw their hat into the ring - it seems like it's taken them an eternity to release a dedicated DAC and their headphone stages have always been better than average : this seems long overdue IMO.

Looking forward to the reviews. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Hi everyone - I've finally subscribed to this wonderful site. I've been an audio enthusiast my entire life and am shocked at how it has changed. I am new to this site so bear with me.. Now that I'm older I am trying to acquire a more up to date system. I started with Marantz components long ago. Great stuff. But as the thread reads, don't see much on it here. Referring to the SR5023, it does not have USB or net connectivity - correct. I have an Integra 40.3 in my LR (which I really like) and will be getting something for the BR. BTW don't see much on Integra either. Any suggestions? I really need some advice on media servers and interface but I guess that will be another thread. I'll be active in the photo submission threads as well.

I was reading a thread re the Marantz 2285B. I have always liked that receiver and almost bought one when they came out. Although it certainly is a classic and no doubt a fine sounding unit but due to it age it lacks the AV features of many current receivers - which are also good. I was researching the NA-11S1 and the NA7004 Network Audio Player(500.00 and 3500.00 US$ respectively)Advice? Piece it out with the Marantz receiver and components, buy a Marantz AV receiver or look elsewhere for something a little less pricey but highly rated?

Last edited:
Per a recent post over at CA, those of you who want a DSD128-capable source with a dedicated headphone amp can have one to match all that other high-end Marantz gear in your rack :D

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...ifi&subcatid=usbdaconverters&productid=hddac1

marantz_hd_dac1.jpg

If you want network streaming, the NA-11S1 is the player that converted John Atkinson to the merits of DSD as a viable format - 'While I've been skeptical about the 1-bit sigma-delta encoding format used by DSD, the sound of these files streamed to the Marantz was among the best I have experienced in my system'

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...&subcatid=networkaudioplayer&productid=na11s1

And finally, Marantz havent forgotten those on a tighter budget who want to alternate spinning discs with DSD playback from a computer source -

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...d=hifi&subcatid=sacdcdplayer&productid=sa14s1

image-BFEA_53F46C07.jpg

Apologies if this post seems like a sales pitch, but after several years where Marantz seemed to be sitting on their hands they've shown that they're willing to throw their hat into the ring - it seems like it's taken them an eternity to release a dedicated DAC and their headphone stages have always been better than average : this seems long overdue IMO.

The NA-11S1 is on my list. However, it appears that it is only offered in the United States in black. My gear is all the gold/champagne color of the reference series and I prefer the same for anything new.

Also, for those whom do not care for Marantz and think it is not worthy of the asking price, all I can say is try the TOTL. I am totally satisfied with these units and, other than the aforementioned NA-11S1, have not been looking for anything else and most likely will not for a few years.:yes:

Now that little HDDAC1 is gorgeous.

I think I want one.

marantz_hd_dac1.jpg

image-BFEA_53F46C07.jpg

Ive a Marantz SR7007 downstairs hooked to some Klipsch Reference speakers. Love it. Use for movies, sports and Spotify....also SACD spins.

The NA-11S1 is on my list. However, it appears that it is only offered in the United States in black. My gear is all the gold/champagne color of the reference series and I prefer the same for anything new.

Also, for those whom do not care for Marantz and think it is not worthy of the asking price, all I can say is try the TOTL. I am totally satisfied with these units and, other than the aforementioned NA-11S1, have not been looking for anything else and most likely will not for a few years.:yes:

It's on my list too, I'm in the same boat as you I want it in Champange or Silver to match all my Halo amps. I'm all about Marantz for my front end needs.

Wonder if Marantz SA8005 would work well with the KEFLS50

Currently running the KEF LS50 speakers which have excellent micordynamics, energy etc. Coupling with Oppo 95 which, from an audio CD point of view, sounds on par with the Oppo 105/105D. I find the player to have loads of detail but a bit too 'cool'.

Wonder if the SA8005 with DAC would be warmer and have more 'body' - thus possibly be a better match with the LS50 speakers. But also wondering if it will give up too much in detail.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

UL

I really enjoy Marantz products. I had a Marantz 2252B receiver for a long time and loved it. I'm really happy with my current Marantz PM8005 amp. I'm so happy with it that I have a Marantz NA8005 on the way to replace my airport express and Audio engine DAC.

Here's my 2252B that I owned. I made a custom solid walnut case for it.

^Nice case. Well done, my friend.

I just upgraded the firmware on my Marantz UD 7006 to easily take care of some transport rumble while playing Blu-Ray discs. Easy peasy.

Had several dealers tell me that the SA8005 and PM8005 wound better to them than the entry level Marantz reference products which cost twice as much. Marantz has some pretty remarkable products out at present.

Had several dealers tell me that the SA8005 and PM8005 wound better to them than the entry level Marantz reference products which cost twice as much. Marantz has some pretty remarkable products out at present.

And the last KI-Pearl SACD and amp series reportedly sound better than both the 8005 and the 15 series. Push comes to shove, I prefer the presentation of my Chord Hugo using the SA-14S1 as transport than via the Marantz' own DAC playing Redbook CDs but there's no arguing that the 14S1 is capable of some incredible detail retrieval. The Hugo is also a lot kinder to poor recordings and I suspect that applies to the 8005 series over the entry-level Reference gear.

Also FWIW, I prefer both DACs to my Oppo, but I suspect that it would be a lot easier to wow potential customers with the latter than either of the above.

Back
Top Bottom