Turntable hunt

RGA

One of the things on my soon to get list (soon as in the next couple of months) is a turntable. I am planning on a high end rig down the line but I'm kind of looking at a tide me over budget deck.'

I've had some Duals and Rega 2 clone and to be honest I'm not a big fan of the Rega presentation. Project was okay but a little thin sounding.

That said Pro-Ject has supposedly greatly improved the RPM 5.2 which comes with an Ortofon 2M Red for an affordable price. http://www.whathifi.com/pro-ject/rpm52/review

I have been eying the Tri-Art Pebbles turntable for $1300 including the arm

Photo%2057%20Avatar%20Acoustics%20-%20tri-art%20audio%203.jpg

Waiting for Jack's review of it.

But when you add in a good cart it's up to $2000.

There is a shop selling refreshed vintage tables from Yamaha and Pioneer which is also a consideration - a good direct drive from Yamaha (GT750, 1000 or 2000) might be had for a reasonable sum and were well regard DD decks. And probably pick up the iFi Phono stage for $400.

I had a budget Shure m97xE and would rather go with an MC if possible. The Shure tracked well but just sounded a bit blah (although my Rega 2 clone may have influenced this somewhat.

Ideally I'd like a deck for $1,000 including the arm and cartridge.

Anyone try the above mentioned Pro-Ject?

FWIW The turntable I'm looking at down the road (well down the road 2-5 years)is the VPI Super Scoutmaster and the Triangle Arts Signature and Reference tables.

Thorens is definitely on the list as is systemdek, Roksan, and Linn.

I tend to like the suspended decks but I'm willing to try something else.

I'm in HK so it's down to what is available second hand when it comes to the liked of Thorens or Linn

Thanks for the reminder - I looked up their new models as well.

How long would this turntable have to tide you over do you think? My opinion is buy once right, get what you want-within reason/budget. If you are say thinking of the good old Audio Note table and arm(I have no idea what would have made me pick this one) in the future, start with the table or arm, do it in steps. Sure, you won't be able to enjoy it right away, but in the end you spend less on something you will enjoy more. Damn, so much for instant gratification!

Obviously too, if you buy used or buy reasonably cheap, something that can be moved on easily later, none of it really matters.

In my opinion, the Tri-art stuff looks nasty to me, don't really know why, and it may sound fantastic but.... This is what makes hifi or anything so much fun, we all have our own tastes etc.

Hi Tim

Yes my first choice was Audio Note because I owned the TT2/Arm3/IQ3 back in Canada and it's a terrific unit. The problem is it took them 10 months to build the thing and the price has jumped significantly.

Further I don't want a deck where I have to lift the platter to change the speed. With the TT2 it has two motors and you have to adjust two places.
While it sounds great I found I didn't bother playing my 45s.

Further I want to go to an MC cartridge (never owned one) and with Audio Note their current entry level MC cartridge is the IoII Red/Blue for $6,000. The IoI Gold is $8,150 and then it jumps to $22,000 for their top cartridge which has it's own PSU. The IQ3 MM cart which I had is currently $980. And this is not counting that with AN MC you need a step up transformer which range from $3k-$20k so the entry level cart is $9k when you factor this in.

This is the AN half reference which jumps to $43k (The TT-Two is $2000 and the TT-One is $1500. Pretty massive jump from TT Two to the Half Reference

IMG_2745-audio-note-tt3-half-reference-turntable-small.jpg

The Triangle I have not heard - I am basing it on the show reports where the AN speakers with Triangle Arts was chosen by several people and reviewers to be the best sound at CAS. And Peter Bruninger who likes Audio Note more than me I think (if that's possible :D) uses the Tirangle Reference has his magazines reference turntable. I think they look cool but you're correct - to actually live with the shiny chrome and gold might be rather hideous. Kinda like Shanling which looks cool but for someone else. The Half reference from Audio Note is 3 TIMES the price of the top of the line Triangle Arts table however. eesh.

If I find a second hand AN table I might jump on it because I know the sound (the devil you know) but I also want to try something else. Just to see. Something I can get right away - can have it for 2 years before moving on.

Hey, that 8-10 months gives you time to start saving! Hah. One table that I would like to try is from Pear Audio Blue, the Robin Hood model with Cornet 1 tone arm. Availability over your way may be tough as actually listening to it would be as well. Not only do I like the looks of the plinth in the birch ply, but it also comes from great pedigree, whatever that means these days. A Tom Fletcher of Nottingham design.

I keep waffling on the idea of getting back to some analog, but after being "freed" of my table and all my albums-or most of them anyway about 10 years ago, it would be quite a costly investment to make and serious commitment as well. Many options out there though! Have fun in your quest! Tim

Thorens is definitely on the list as is systemdek, Roksan, and Linn.

I tend to like the suspended decks but I'm willing to try something else.

I'm in HK so it's down to what is available second hand when it comes to the liked of Thorens or Linn

Thanks for the reminder - I looked up their new models as well.

There's a guy here (Pittsburgh) that restores Thorens stuff. He almost always has stuff on agon. I've never dealt with him, but his work seems nice.

I'm with TimF.....get what you want now and not later, later probably will not happen. You are talking about buying used Thorens and such for a few 100 bucks then a VPI in the 1000s with a cartridge in the 1000s.

As you know a good TT will take upgrades and let them shine, so I always suggest looking for TT that will take to higher end carts and run them thru the best phono stage you can afford. You don't need a $3000 TT running thru a $800 phono stage....

You can see what I have in my signature and I am beyond pleased with the quality of output....I can still bump the cartridge a few levels and expect better results.

I'm with you and Tim on that Tri-Art. Looks a bit Flinstone to me. There was a fella over at Hoffman who was considering that deck. That Triangle sure looks nice.

Nasty is about the word I would choose as well. I agree, it may sound like angels from heaven, but purely from an aesthetic point of view... I wouldn't want that thing in my listening room especially when there are so many great tables that sound great and look great to boot.

Tastes run wild in all hobbies and all aspects of life. The great thing is that we all have choices.

Oh and yeah... I've been in this hobby for about 35 years now. If there's one thing I've learned, get what you want from the beginning, within financial reason, even if it means saving up an extra year, as it'll save you time and money in the end.

In my opinion, the Tri-art stuff looks nasty to me, don't really know why, and it may sound fantastic but.... This is what makes hifi or anything so much fun, we all have our own tastes etc.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-129357-avid-ingenium-turntable.aspx

I have heard and seen this TT, the Avid Ingenium. If I was to buy now, this one or a REGA RP-6 would be my 2 choices. After talking to several high end designers and manufacturers of TT, at AXPONA this year, they all suggested these 2 as the best lower cost TT.

Those two and the Well Tempered Simplex are tops at that price range to my ears. However I understand when folks don't prefer how one or the other sounds and have their own preferences. To me the Simplex sounds the best but I like how the other 2 look. I have to live with both the sound and the looks. As for this moment the RP6 is the keeper.

That Tri-Art sure does look like something that was whipped up in someone's backyard wood shop. I suggest you purchase the best sounding phono amp you can afford and then start with an reasonably priced table and cartridge. Because you can always scale up the table and cartridge down the road. I have tested 5 phono amps over the past 6 months and found they have more of a impact on your overall sound than the table or cartridge.

Not really sure what your trying to do but let try this.

Below $1500

Maybe A Mitchell Focus One or a Transcriptor, A Thorens TD-125, SOTA Sapphire.

Arm SME 3009, Cartridge Sumiko Blue Point EVO III

TD-125

IMG_1674_zps061ecf3e.jpg

Mitchell Focus One

IMG_1691_zps7c2c4441.jpg

Above $1500

SOTA Star Sapphire, The decks you can get for $1500 and up. Unlike the SOTA Sapphier above the "Star" is the first step into the vacuum platter decks from SOTA. You can also customize the decks with more options in performance and looks.

Arms can be what ever you want as you can grow into it. I have three Star decks all with SME arms a 3009, 309 and a Series V, that's a range in price $400 - $5000. I have them setup with the Sumiko Blackbirds and the 3009 has an Somiko EVO III $500 - $1200

SME Series V
IMG_1784_zps21d2fcf0.jpg

SME 3009

IMG_1801_zpsd8677d57.jpg

SME 309

IMG_1798_zps49ce0d16.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, that 8-10 months gives you time to start saving! Hah. One table that I would like to try is from Pear Audio Blue, the Robin Hood model with Cornet 1 tone arm. Availability over your way may be tough as actually listening to it would be as well. Not only do I like the looks of the plinth in the birch ply, but it also comes from great pedigree, whatever that means these days. A Tom Fletcher of Nottingham design.

I keep waffling on the idea of getting back to some analog, but after being "freed" of my table and all my albums-or most of them anyway about 10 years ago, it would be quite a costly investment to make and serious commitment as well. Many options out there though! Have fun in your quest! Tim

I might spend 1-2 months salary on a component but a year's salary is pushing it. :D

I like the Pear Audio's looks but not available in Asia.

624df81a6a-PearAudioBlue%C2%A9PeterUhan_0-2-1024x673.jpg

The other consideration with the smaller companies is how long will they be in business and what is the resale value like.

I sold my TT2/Arm3/IQ3 for $600 more than I originally paid for it. So there is this to consider.

I heard Nottingham table here in HK and it sounded excellent I must say. You have to spin the the thing with your hand to get it going though which makes me a little leery - and I can't find their website which seems to have closed. It was the Space Dek or something for around $2500 and the whole thing was great going through the very inexpensive iFi Phono stage ($399) which Michael Fremer liked a lot when you factor in the price.

Back
Top Bottom