Soundlabs in Salt Lake City...

That's a shame, but may explain why they haven't sold. I'm not sure that's the same set I originally posted about though, it looks like the set I was talking about is still available on 'the bay'. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sound-Lab-e...85?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2ecc0db62d

...not as pretty in black and maybe too far away from you, but I think that (South Carolina) seller has been trying to move them for almost a year! Originally he wouldn't ship and that always makes selling speakers harder, though I think he softened on that when he re-listed them at a lower price. My guess is at this point he'd probably be very open to haggling.

Between their obscurity and size, electrostatic speakers are always difficult to sell, but if a seller doesn't know much about them and/or won't ship, they're almost guaranteed NOT to sell.

...not as pretty in black and maybe too far away from you, but I think that (South Carolina) seller has been trying to move them for almost a year!

Yeah those have been up for a long time.... along with this pair which the guy has a ridiculous price on.

All of them I guess are real early R1's?

The A3 is I guess the successor and this looks to be a nice pair in NYC! Closer and I might have jumped!!!

But I think I'm taking Cliff's advice and holding out for some Dynastats....

The only pair of those I have found are in Norway!!!

44_1675170974.jpg

Last edited:
But I think I'm taking Cliff's advice and holding out for some Dynastats....

only pair of those I have found are in Norway!!!

Well on a whim I decided to email the guy in Norway. He responded that sadly they had been sold. But he was able to communicate in English! :thmbsp:

You never know where in this world your "Holy Grail" will appear! ;)

These showed up on daBay at a ridiculous price, but I thought it worthwhile to document what a full blown R1 looks like with the subs. I guess technically these are the SL6000 Panels with SL5000 Subs.

Interesting how the subs are dual 10"(?) units (one on each side of the enclosure)!!! Bet they rock!!! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 36
  • $_57a.jpg
    $_57a.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 25
  • $_57b.jpg
    $_57b.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 35
  • $_57c.jpg
    $_57c.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 31
  • $_57d.jpg
    $_57d.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 24
The guy in North Carolina dropped the price another $100 - now @$700 for the set of 2 SL5000s & 2 SL6000s. At that price, I'm getting temped to fly out, rent a van and drive them back!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sound-Lab-e...85?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2ecc0db62d
I'm up to my ears in 'stats right now and I really don't like them in black, so doubt I'll cave and get them, but it really IS tempting!!

God, you're right Cliff. I just realized these are the SL6000/5000 Combo. The pair I spotted were in Alabama and were the natural wood with white socks. The guy has Best Offer, so maybe use this ad to snag those.

Here's the link.

So would the ones in NC be worth pursuing over say...my Apogee Centaurs? I'm guessing yes? Hmm, I'm in NC...

So would the ones in NC be worth pursuing over say...my Apogee Centaurs? I'm guessing yes? Hmm, I'm in NC...

I don't have any listening experience with either the Apogee's or the Sound Labs, but my first thoughts would be that the Sound Labs are true Stats (vs. Ribbons) and with the dual 10" bass cabinet, I do believe it would be a step up.

Cliff (Frommer) can give you a better feel for this.... he knows Stats!!! :yes:

Looks like they might have sold...not on da bay anymore and don't see them on CL either. Good thing for me anyway...I just bought a pedal steel guitar and am on buying probation...er vacation...er something.

Yeah, it does look like they might have finally sold... I was watching them and they ended, but said the seller re-listed, then when I went to mark the new listing, it popped up as "removed, no longer available", so I would guess he got an acceptable offer.

FWIW, yes, I would take SL6000/5000s over Apogee Centaurs. Particularly at roughly the same price. At least unless I had a small room... the Centaurs are pretty good speakers too!

These would cost me a lot more, unless I could sell the Apogees at a profit. I did find another link to the ones in NC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201173001563?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My Apogees are in a basement too...wondering if 'stats hold up as well in kind of a cool, somewhat more humid, area? I think ribbons would be more robust, but correct me if I'm wrong there.

My Apogees do sound REALLY good to my ears. They're not in the best shape cosmetic wise, but I may put a little work into them. Guy offered to sell me a set of replacement VIFA woofers for $75 for the pair. Same guy has some replacement ribbons for sale on that auction site...thinking about bidding on those, since one of my ribbons is curled...just in case. Depends what price they go for.

Never heard a proper 'stat in my life...I'm way past due there. Never heard a good horn either, or an open baffle with a SET amp, or, or, or...so many speakers, so little time, and mostly so little money!

Never heard a proper 'stat in my life...I'm way past due there. Never heard a good horn either, or an open baffle with a SET amp, or, or, or...so many speakers, so little time, and mostly so little money!

LOL... you and me both Hawkeye!!!

Course what I have for "Acoustic Cone Drivers" ain't half bad!!! :yes:

Yeah, they are back up here... guess maybe the deal fell through for him. I'd jump on them if I was as close as you!!!

Some day my Dynastats will come!!! :music:

Last edited:
These Soundlabs are really tempting me...

Crazy that I can't find much info at all on them...for example, can't find the original MSRP or really any info on this specific model. I have read that it was a small company, so maybe not many were sold. I've heard rave reviews on the A1's and A3's but not much at all on the SL6000.

And then I come across these on CL...

Not that I know any better Hawkeye, but I'd say those Soundlabs are probably a step up from the Maggies and it doesn't look like they require anything to get them singing (those Maggies are hashed).

What I do know is Soundlab quality is over the top. I've scoped these for a while and they all look really well built... look at the prices for the newer gear! Usually prices like that don't get bestowed on gear that hasn't met the demands of expectations in the past!!! :thmbsp:

I think you'd really enjoy them if they fit your room. Remember, being a dipole means they need some room to breath!

Go Hawkeye, go!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom