beginner vintage receiver suggestions - $100.00 range

asciibaron

i am tired of a computer being the center of my musical world. over the years i stopped listening to music to relax, instead, it became the background to other things, mostly done on a computer.

i'm looking to pickup a vintage receiver that has enough power for the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer floor speakers (on my wish-list), has a great, warm sound, is pleasing to the eye (very subjective), and can handle my Technics SL-1200mk2, a multi-disc CD player, and stereo audio from my Raspberry-Pi based XBMC media center, and a tape deck (i has some great dj mixes!).

i'm drawn to the look of certain Pioneer SX series models and Kenwood KR x400 and x600 series. clean, simple lines and a lovely blue tuner display section. pure heaven.

i don't crave a system that i can crank to 11, i'm apartment bound for the next few years and keeping the peace is important. i'm looking for a clear sound that really lets the music come to life but not be a burden to my neighbors.

i listen to a variety of music but mainly early synthpop (anything on Mute) and deeper acid infused electronic music (Plastikman, Pete Namlook, Carbon Based Lifeforms).

my budget is as close to $100.00 as i can get, but if it makes sense to spend a little more, than so be it. this is my first step into this hobby and this receiver will most likely go into my bedroom as i learn and seek out other vintage receivers.

Last edited:
OK, here's a piece of advice -- go off the beaten path to get more bang for your dollar ---- although $100 will still buy a lot o'vintage if one manifests a little patience. A Pasteur said, "Chance favors the prepared mind." :)

So, here is some generic advice. Look for early-mid 1970s, Japanese made amplifiers or receivers from Sherwood or HH Scott. These weren't particularly popular then, and the subsequent fall from grace of those two hallowed names from 1950s hifi (and Fisher, too -- eventually) keeps some fine hardware - still! - at relatively bargain prices.

They sound good, and both companies' receivers of that era (still) featured really excellent FM tuners -- especially at their price points.

Here are a couple of relevant examples from Sherwood, e.g.

SherwoodS7100A by mhardy6647, on Flickr
DSC_0235 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
DSC_0236 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

I'll bet you could find a Sherwood S-7100(A), S-7200, S-7210, etc. in the Philly area for $20 or so if you look around.
The two above were both freebies from the "take it or leave it" ("Yankee swap") pile at our erstwhile town's "dump" (transfer station)

Second that!

I've got a lovely Sherwood S-7300 in my office beside me as I type. Very musical. Spec'd at 42 wpc @ 8 ohms. Up Canada way, the prices on these are climbing I think.

I have no idea what sort of wattage you'd need for your speakers, but low end mid-70's Harman/Kardon receivers often still go for cheap. Think the 330 range. Often these are sold as one channel not working, and it's usually just dirty switches and button contacts. I've had very good luck with them. Nice sound, and they've got jumpers to split pre and power.

Yes the hk330c is an attractive and very capable, albeit somewhat low-powered (20 wpc) receiver.

GMMlowpricehighperf by mhardy6647, on Flickr

oh... as long as I am still pasting stuff from my Flikr account :) here's a later "HH Scott" receiver that, if you find one, ought to be both very capable and pretty inexpensive.

Scott 350R by mhardy6647, on Flickr

My first real receiver was a Harman-Kardon 330B. It was considered pretty low end at the time, but it has an excellent sound. Many describe it as "tube-like". Also, it has a separate connection to use it just as a pre-amp if you should upgrade to a bigger amp.

I found one in good condition and bought it for my son. It's only rated at 22 watts, but I keep having to tell him to turn it down. It rocks!

You should be able to find a nice one for $100 or less.

those Sherwoods are great looking! i guess i have no idea where to look, the thrift shop type places i've visited haven't had anything vintage.

I am listening to a minty SX-3600 (30WPC) (i personally love these floroscan meters) I found mine local for under your budget I have it hooked up to some NHT SuperZero's sounds amazing

Craigslist is your friend, but not much in Phila for $100. I bumped the price up to $150 and a lot opened up. Sansui, Rotel, Toshiba, Sony, Harmon-Kardon etc. all looked promising. Saw a Kenwood in a nearby area. Check the number and type of inputs since you want to attach several components. Many have 2 turntable inputs but few have more than one aux input. Any 30 wpc receiver should handle those speakers with power to spare.

Do not overlook Realistic. Radioshack put out some fine vintage equipment. There is an STA-870 in your area way under budget. Puts out 65 wpc and has two aux inputs.

Last edited:
Craigslist is your friend, but not much in Phila for $100. I bumped the price up to $150 and a lot opened up. Sansui, Rotel, Toshiba, Sony, Harmon-Kardon etc. all looked promising. Saw a Kenwood in a nearby area. Check the number and type of inputs since you want to attach several components. Many have 2 turntable inputs but few have more than one aux input. Any 30 wpc receiver should handle those speakers with power to spare.

Do not overlook Realistic. Radioshack put out some fine vintage equipment. There is an STA-870 in your area way under budget. Puts out 65 wpc and has two aux inputs.

All of the above are great suggestions. If the Realistic STA-870 is in good working order it would be one to look at.

i'm looking to pickup a vintage receiver that has enough power for the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer floor speakers (on my wish-list), has a great, warm sound, is pleasing to the eye

my budget is as close to $100.00 as i can get, but if it makes sense to spend a little more, than so be it.

Perhaps a Luxman R-1050,it has a great,warm sound.. and looks rather classy with it.

I've only bought one piece of audio equipment off ebay and it was a Sherwood s7100a.So I can agree with mhardys suggestion.It was around $100 shipped.Don't think you can just go looking for any particular piece of vintage in a thrift.It is all about chance.Generally speaking most lower powered 70s receivers were pretty good for a starting point.

Just get the biggest tank you can find. There is a $2,000 SX 1980 in Pittsburgh. If you got that, you can ignore all the other stuff floating on by ... you have the mega monster.
Buying small receiver now, only leads to getting 1000's of em later.
Cool.
Srinath.

Here are a couple of relevant examples from Sherwood, e.g.

I'll bet you could find a Sherwood S-7100(A), S-7200, S-7210, etc. in the Philly area for $20 or so if you look around.
The two above were both freebies from the "take it or leave it" ("Yankee swap") pile at our erstwhile town's "dump" (transfer station)

Agreed. If you can find an S-7100A buy it. Sweet sounding, beautiful little receiver. Not high output, but enough to please your ears! :thmbsp:

picture.php

Just get the biggest tank you can find. There is a $2,000 SX 1980 in Pittsburgh. If you got that, you can ignore all the other stuff floating on by ... you have the mega monster.
Buying small receiver now, only leads to getting 1000's of em later.
Cool.
Srinath.

can i borrow $1900.00. i'll pay you back ;)

If I had 1900 and was 400 miles closer you wont have that option of buying it from Pittsburgh, cos I'd have it.
BTW that thing may be a scam. Its been there for 6 months.
Seriously, its the best option. I knew of a guy who had a 1250 - and he never even thought about buying another receiver.
Now I have 3 1250's, but my first 1250 was my 100'th receiver, by then I was craving receivers like a crack ho looking for a John.
Now, Bring me a 1980, I'll be happy ... for a week. Best way to kill the craving IMHO is to buy the most monstrous tank ever made and then ... let it be.
Cool.
Srinath.

my interest is to get something that sounds good, doesn't break the bank, and is a foundation to learn and explore. i like the looks of Harmon Kardon 330 and the Sherman 7100.

people often lust after the marantz, pioneer and sansui. but i think Vintage Sonys are often overlooked and they are great

Back
Top Bottom