AR 91 Speakers

Phluxed

Hi everyone,

Just getting into the sound stuff a bit myself here, and I was digging through my mother's garage and found an old pair of AR-91, suffering from what seems to be the most common problem for them, disintegrating foam surrounds on the subs.

I bought a refoaming kit from ebay for the speakers specifically for just under 40 bucks shipping included. I have a few questions for you guys.

1) How easy is it to restore speakers like this? The instructions seem a tad overwhelming, though reading through it over and over make it seem easier. Any tips would be helpful!

2) How good can the AR-91's really be? I've heard it's based on the AR9.. which I've also heard is a 'legendary' sub. Any thoughts? Any places I should visit for these speakers? Information on them? Manuals?

I'm having trouble finding any real info on them.

I have AR 9LSis and AR 94s. Good speakers.

Welcome to AK!

1) The refoaming seems daunting, but in reality, if you're mechanically inclined even somewhat, you should be okay.

Search here for "refoaming" or a term used jokingly here, but also describing the process, "racooning woogers". Seriously.

2) The AR-91s are a good speaker. Indeed, the AR9 is a legend. Not a sub- much more- a full range speaker with lows low enough that a subwoofer is not needed/required for most people. The 91s are in a different league. Doesn't make 'em bad, but the AR-9s and AR-91s are the top of the line. The 91s are a step down, but are worth fixing, and are a wonderful speaker indeed.

3) For information, I'd normally go to the Classic Speaker Pages. Usually, the classic speaker pages is the place to go for all things AR, but it's currently getting a makeover, a thorough re-fresh, so will be missing lots of its typical information, of which it has a lot. Give it a bit of time- it should be up and back to better than normal any day now. Anyhow, here's the link-

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/

NOTE- I don't recall exactly, but these are either 4 ohm or 6 ohm speakers. Make sure your amp is good and strong enough to drive 'em. Too wimpy an amp, and you'll cook it, or fry the tweeters. Especially if they turn out to be 4ohm loads.

Any way I can find out which Ohm they are? Or just wait for classicspeakerpages to come back up?

Also, what should my receiver/amp be pumping out would you suggest?

What happened was my old system died and I put together this one with an old receiver from my mothers garage as well.

I poked around in my files, but couldn't find any info on 'em.

I have a feeling they are 4 ohm though.

What amp are you using for them?

Is it fully re-loaded? Lots of files were missing last week.

Is it once again fully populated with the info?

A great site, that classicspeakerpages.

There isn't much AR-91 info there though, mostly AR-9 and Ar-90.

I'll have to let you know my receiver/amp when I get home from work.

Greetings the AR-91 is a 4 ohm system. It is essentially the AR-3a with improved power handling and other refinements in a vertical cabinet. It is perhaps the best 3 way system AR ever made. They require a nice amplifier to sound their best and can absorb the full output of 300 wpc super amp on peaks. They are worth fixing correctly and will be a treasured possession to the discerning listener.

Greetings the AR-91 is a 4 ohm system. It is essentially the AR-3a with improved power handling and other refinements in a vertical cabinet. It is perhaps the best 3 way system AR ever made. They require a nice amplifier to sound their best and can absorb the full output of 300 wpc super amp on peaks. They are worth fixing correctly and will be a treasured possession to the discerning listener.

Well that is very good to hear. I'm on a strict budget so I don't know if I can get a good amp, but I'll let you guys know what I have as soon as I get home.

A good receiver that can produce a clean 50 wpc will make them sound great.

technics SU-C03 is what I have at the moment.. any thoughts?

I can't seem to find any information on it :(

Lists it as a preamp? I honestly don't really know jack about this stuff... Really just wanted to get some good speakers going and learn something in the process.. do I need a seperate amp for this?

Aha, I found something

Model Year WPC
SU-C03 80-81 40 20-20 0.03 0.03 77 0.4 110 0.25 AB 13.0 340.00

Lists it as 40w per channel.. I guess thats not enough.. but it has these 3 power outlets in the back... would that be for a seperate amp?

Is this thing any good for the speakers?

I might be able to snatch a Pioneer VSX-401 for around $50... would that be much better?

Going to use this for stereo (2-channel use) only?

Going to listen to CDs?

MP3s?

Records?

Let us know- it'll help us steer you right.

Dunno much about the Pioneer- decent, maybe, around 100 claimed WPC, but I dunno. I'd pass.

The Technics? I'd personally look for something else to use. May do the job, but why chance it on such a well-regarded speaker? You may end up damaging both the Technics and the speakers.

For $75-up you could get a nice receiver (amp, pre-amp, tuner all in one), or in my opinion, better yet, an integrated amp (pre-amp and integrated together, tuner seperate). You don't need to run seperates (seperate tuner, seperate amplifier, seperate pre-amplifier).

Look at these integrated amps to start with- the Kenwood KA-6100 and KA-7100, the Sansui AU-317, AU-417, AU-517, the Yamaha CA-810, and I'm sure the fellas here will have other good suggestions, from the likes of Pioneer, Marantz, and many more.

Bide your time, skip a few coffee breaks or bag lunch of baloney for a week, if you can, and get a nice piece of kit for around $75 and up, and you'll be in a good place.

I think the SU-C03 is a peamplifier. Does it have speaker terminals? If not it needs a power amp to drive the speakers. Perhaps it is hanging around also. that combo wold be great with the speakers.

It has speaker terminals ( I assume you mean places to wire the speakers into ). It also has what looks like 3 electrical outlets with voltage ratings on them, which I assume are for an amp. I can't seem to find the amp, I actually think my mother may have given it to my uncle. Should I just look for an amp? Or should I look for something completely seperate. Two different opinions.

I have it hooked up to my television, for watching movies and hockey mostly. I also have it hooked up to my PC for mp3s and games and movies.

I've also started the refoaming. Just need to glue to the basket and I'm done :)

If it has speaker terminals, the amp is built in. The amp is what sends the power to the speaker. The pre-amp just processes/controls the signal.

Those three outlets- switched and unswitched- are just a way for you to plug in other gear- CD player, tape player, ect.

AR-91 Amp Choice

I've had a pair of near-mint AR-91s for two years; second owner. Had the woofers reconed by Millersound. A speaker worth keeping and one of the best 3-ways of its type (sealed, vertical alignment). Don't give you the bass of an AR-9, but don't cost near as much and are much easier to find a place to set them up, or ship.

(Although if I could use my 91s as part payment for a pair of AR-9s they would be out of here as fast as I could get their wires off them. <G>)

They are not an easy impedance load. Can suck mousy amps inside out. The dome high and mid speakers are outstanding.

Not that you won't get any sound out of them with 40wpc. But, in general, I've found they work well with 100 wpc and up. You'll notice strong bass out of them as you put more wpc to them. Otherwise, it can sound sort of timid.

For another observation, I have a pair of ADS L-810 that were "trailered" by the AR-91s. YMMV

I've had a pair of near-mint AR-91s for two years; second owner. Had the woofers reconed by Millersound. A speaker worth keeping and one of the best 3-ways of its type (sealed, vertical alignment). Don't give you the bass of an AR-9, but don't cost near as much and are much easier to find a place to set them up, or ship.

(Although if I could use my 91s as part payment for a pair of AR-9s they would be out of here as fast as I could get their wires off them. <G>)

They are not an easy impedance load. Can suck mousy amps inside out. The dome high and mid speakers are outstanding.

Not that you won't get any sound out of them with 40wpc. But, in general, I've found they work well with 100 wpc and up. You'll notice strong bass out of them as you put more wpc to them. Otherwise, it can sound sort of timid.

For another observation, I have a pair of ADS L-810 that were "trailered" by the AR-91s. YMMV

I think I'll be picking up the pioneer which says 100wpc... got the dude down to $40. Should be good enough.

Not sure what you mean here but I heard AR91's and ADS L810's back to back and liked the 810's better.

I've never had a really good pair of speakers honestly. This will be my first good pair, and they seem to be a very good first :)

Back
Top Bottom