Impedance question Fisher 800c

762rob

I have a pair of Wharfedale 90c's

The impedance notes on the cabinets say "4-8 ohms" -- never seen a range before. Just 4 or 8 depending on design, etc.

I'm getting very weak sound/volume with the amp's speaker terminals set to 8 ohms - should I move them to 4?

The sound has nice detail but with the volume all the way up it's still very low.

Any ideas/help?

Thanks guys!

You shouldn't really be able to tell any difference in volume at normal listening levels no matter which speaker terminals (4 or 8 ohm) that you choose.

If the volume is low with the volume control up, something is wrong.

Connected a pair of BIC Ventura Formula 5"s @ 8 ohms to the 800 C and they sound fantastic. Lots of power and very punchy.

The BIC's are very efficient speakers and must be a much better marriage to the 800C.

The Wharfedales must have been very inefficient, but, connected to a powerhouse Marantz transistor amp, they sounded fine.

Recapping the Wharfdales might also help. I've noticedthat on my 800C that anything under 92db/1w/1m sounds weak and tinny, but over does fine. Currently AR2ax's @ 8ohm. Also make sure the impedance selector is connected correctly.

Larry

I dunno about that. I have my 500C hooked to a pair of BBC/Rogers LS3/5a speakers and it works just fine. Those things are power sucking grubbers!

Larry, those AR-2ax are 82db @ 1W. About the same as the LS3/5a.

I'm running AR-3a (83db) on my Fisher 400 and they get plenty loud a half volume in my medium size room. It's takes a bit more to push those than the Klipsh Heresy I had before.

Not sure about the Wharfdale 90c - are they a bass reflex design? If so, should be very efficient.

Here's a chart from High Fidelity on efficiency of some popular speakers:

attachment.php

Attachments

• speaker1.gif
    speaker1.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 65
Nice chart thanks!! No wonder My volume is around the number 2 on my klh6 and it is plenty loud!

Back
Top Bottom