Found a 500C recently and it works!

Audio Fan

YT Channel - https://tinyurl.com/29zytwu9
Last week, I happened across a 500C from the original owner. A very nice elderly lady bought it new and even spoke to Avery Fisher apparently when it needed a repair back in the 60's.

Over the weekend, I brought up on my variac and about an hour ago it sang for the first time in about 2 decades. Thus far, it seems to be fine, although stereo mode is less pronounced than mono.

Here are some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1050178.jpg
    P1050178.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 369
  • P1050179.jpg
    P1050179.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 379
  • P1050197.jpg
    P1050197.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 376
Welcome to the fold. We're happy to have you.
I always like those dual getter Westinghouse 7591s.

Thanks all. It is in very nice shape. Other than a small chip on the corner veneer and some missing brass caps, it is in fantastic shape. A good (but careful) cleaning, some new brass caps and some woodwork and I think she'll look good as new.

Wow, that's a nice one. Did you get the original manuals with it?

No, BUT, she said she had some replacement tubes for it somewhere and as soon as she finds them, she will give me a call. She and her husband have a rather large house and have been working to "de-clutter" things, so I am hoping when she finds the tubes the manual will also be there. :thmbsp:

Got some time to deox the pots that were a little scratchy. I just fired it up and WOW! The low signal in stereo mode cleared up and it sounds sooo much better.... and different. I can't quite describe the unique sound coming through my bench speakers, but it is definitely different than all of the solid state gear I've listened with them.

Working to fix a chip on the cabinet before I remount it and replace/repair some of the front knobs. Then I'll be able to set it up in inside with some better speakers and give it a proper listen.

Spent a good bit of time today fixing the chip, refinishing the cabinet and polishing up the front.

Got her all back together and she's a HEAD TURNER for sure! :thmbsp:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1050221.jpg
    P1050221.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 264
  • P1050219.jpg
    P1050219.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 264
  • P1050213.jpg
    P1050213.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 263
  • P1050211.jpg
    P1050211.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 265
Got her all setup as my office system. Also just happened to finish recovering some Timewindows that are both the right size and seem to be sensitive enough to pair with the 500, so here we go. Need to pull it out from the wall a little, but otherwise, I really like it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Will run with this until I complete the recap of my X-101-B, then I'll see about recapping the 500C too.

Attachments

• P1050241.jpg
    P1050241.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 241
  • P1050238.jpg
    P1050238.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Got her all setup as my office system. Also just happened to finish recovering some Timewindows that are both the right size and seem to be sensitive enough to pair with the 500, so here we go. Need to pull it out from the wall a little, but otherwise, I really like it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Will run with this until I complete the recap of m X-101-B, then I'll see about recapping the 500C too.

It is so much fun to read these success stories! Well done :)

Got some time to deox the pots that were a little scratchy. I just fired it up and WOW! The low signal in stereo mode cleared up and it sounds sooo much better.... and different. I can't quite describe the unique sound coming through my bench speakers, but it is definitely different than all of the solid state gear I've listened with them.

Is your FM stereo as loud as the signal in mono mode? I had a similar issue with my 500C which I just acquired. The stereo mode sounded distant with an echo effect. I jumpered a new 1uF/400V capacitor across the existing one in the MPX circuit and it fixed the issue. Now my FM stereo is as loud as in mono mode. The echo is gone as well as some distortion that was present.

Cheers
Steve

I'd say congratulations also, but GREEN ENVY won't let me. Make sure the electrolytics aren't getting too warm. You don't want them to pop. Also the selenium bridge could catch fire which is even worse! I have an old 500 that I need to recap and all these stories of people finding and using 500s are making me want to get off my butt and get to it. Someone designed a PCB for modern caps and rectifiers that fits underneath. Not original, but my 500 was in the trash so it does not look like yours. I just want to listen to it without worrying about smoke, fire or blowing up the tubes. Even without a recap they do sound sweet! Ok, CONGRATS!

Congrates on the nice 500C, I have a 800C that I use with DCM QED's, sounds good to me as I have a smaller sized room to listen in, love the timewindows..

It is so much fun to read these success stories! Well done :)

That is beautiful!

Thanks, I also really enjoy bringing these great pieces back into use again.

Is your FM stereo as loud as the signal in mono mode? I had a similar issue with my 500C which I just acquired. The stereo mode sounded distant with an echo effect. I jumpered a new 1uF/400V capacitor across the existing one in the MPX circuit and it fixed the issue. Now my FM stereo is as loud as in mono mode. The echo is gone as well as some distortion that was present.

Cheers
Steve

Yes, that is exactly what mine is doing. Thanks!!! Will look at doing that fix and others.

I'd say congratulations also, but GREEN ENVY won't let me. Make sure the electrolytics aren't getting too warm. You don't want them to pop. Also the selenium bridge could catch fire which is even worse! I have an old 500 that I need to recap and all these stories of people finding and using 500s are making me want to get off my butt and get to it. Someone designed a PCB for modern caps and rectifiers that fits underneath. Not original, but my 500 was in the trash so it does not look like yours. I just want to listen to it without worrying about smoke, fire or blowing up the tubes. Even without a recap they do sound sweet! Ok, CONGRATS!

I have an X-101-B unit to do first, then I'm going to order a cap kit for the 500C. I'm also worried about something going awry. Hope you get yours going soon!!!

Congrates on the nice 500C, I have a 800C that I use with DCM QED's, sounds good to me as I have a smaller sized room to listen in, love the timewindows..

Although the TW's are not very efficient, they seem to play just fine. Although, admittedly, my office is also quite small, so I don't turn up the volume much at all.

I'll post pics of the X-101-B recap when I get it going.

In an earlier post, I mentioned the previous owner said she had another set of tubes somewhere in the house and when she found them she would give me a call. I gave it about a 20% chance of ever really happening, but lo and behold, she called me this past week and I picked them up today! :banana:

She says they are new, but they are not in boxes, so not really sure. A quad set of Fisher 7591A.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1050666.jpg
    P1050666.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 60
Congrats on your acquisition!

If you haven't done so yet, I would suggest using the contact cleaner on the tube pins and tube sockets. That can also make a big difference in the sound quality.

Nice Audio Fan, and thats great that you were able to get a second quad of 7591's as they are getting pretty difficult to find. It took me a while to get a quad, which by the way look just like the ones you got, the seller said they were Westinghouse tubes but like yours they say Fisher.

Back
Top Bottom