800C with R2R

visman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have really been enjoying listening to R2R tapes with my Fisher 800C - using my new to me Pioneer RT-707.
I don't know how to explain it but it brings me right back to the 60's in a solid way:yes:
Tonight I've gone throug Buffalo Springfield, Beatles, Dylan (a bunch) and wait for it ...... the Cowsills:D

Man the combo of Fisher Tubey goodness and R2R is just perfect.
Anybody else experienced this special combo?

Oh yeah, I hear that!
I have three RTR's on my Fisher 800b, and they all sound great.
The Wife keeps asking me why I need three RTR's, she just doesn't understand :D

Glenn

A GX-730D and a A4010GSL on my 800C. Plus a GXC-710 Akai Cassette Deck, and a PIONEER PLA-45D with a V15III, pushing AR2ax's or Koss Pro-4A's. Don't get much better than that on a budget.

Larry

Been thinking on a reel to reel, had a TC630 (sony) back in Nam, wish I still had it. Wondering if it would sound as good as a CD player these days... if so I would get one again for sure. Any advise?? Thanks.

Oh yeah, I hear that!
I have three RTR's on my Fisher 800b, and they all sound great.
The Wife keeps asking me why I need three RTR's, she just doesn't understand :D

Glenn

Tell your wife I have four. (If she asks, don't tell her I have no wife, as she might add two and two.)

But seriously, Cowsills? :yikes:

Not sure why an RT-707 would give you "60s sound" - maybe depends on the source tape.

Actually, an 800C in good operating condition shouldn't sound very "60s", either IME.

(but, yeah, I do know what you mean...)

Not sure why an RT-707 would give you "60s sound" - maybe depends on the source tape.

Actually, an 800C in good operating condition shouldn't sound very "60s", either IME.

(but, yeah, I do know what you mean...)

Valid point - should be that 60's/70's sound I suppose :D

What I really wanted to say was that the Fisher did a really nice job with R2R source material.

Now a nice 60's Ampex tube R2R would be very interesting and since I only have two R2R's I should be entitled to at least one more right?:yes:

Oh Yeah, the more the merrier. But keep an eye on them. They breed like rabbit's.
Started out with a GX4000D....Next thing I knew, there was a GX365D, a GX 370D, another GX4000D, an A4010GSL and a SONY TC-230 laying around, with another TC-230 in transit.

That's a good question for the Tape Forum - those guys can tell you about different manufacturers tapes that perform best, anticipated life etc. etc.

My experience is with used tapes (from 50's - 70's) and most seem to retain fine sound quality - although some have been abused and do have various levels of clarity (sometimes on the same tape - I have one tape (Zeppelin III) where the entire left channel is dead on side one and side two has spectacular clarity on both channels).

Back
Top Bottom