Audiokarma Winter Frankenfest Photo Thread

Taylor Player

AK Subscriber
Subscriber

16488755368_0fafa98a6b_b.jpg

Its plastic....from Chinacave's collection. They sounded pretty fine, but we wondered about the addition of a sub.

Yeeeaaaaa... Most open baffles give just a hint of sub 100hz bass... I'm sorry I missed those! 6201's are Niiiiiice :music: it was great to see everyone.. So many new faces! And so much cool gear....... My little direct coupled el84-->el84 amp was being bitchy but the Newcomb kx50 was singing :D

Thanks frank!

Thanks for the pictures - as mentioned on the original thread -

Our summer get together will be on Saturday June 27th

Markus and "thedelihaus" Paul were there?!

Dang!

I was doin' truck repair with my son-in-law way up north...

That was fun! I enjoyed talking with you all and getting to demo my AR3's again. Ian's open baffles are amazing as well as the home brew tube setups there. Lots of great gear on the main floor, I'm glad I didn't have a lot of extra cash and a small car! Frank, thanks for being such a gracious host and the bergers!

Glenn

Yeeeaaaaa... Most open baffles give just a hint of sub 100hz bass...

Thanks frank!

Not necessarily ... I think Chinacave had an epiphany today in that regard :). True, the first watt matters most, but so is the headroom... You should have heard the bass coming out of those baffles!!! There were no place to hide from it!

The Fest was fun!!! Thank you Fred, and Jim, and everyone who brought food and dragged themselves in...

Cheers, Paul.

This was a great gathering. Lots of nice gear and a lot of really good conversations. I came home with a pair of KLH Fives that I was definitely NOT going to buy. Until I did. Thanks to Jim for the two output transistors for my QRX-7001 in restoration.

I screwed up and left a turntable belonging to Barncats (Bruce) that was supposed to be picked up there by Tom (Tcomiskey). Bruce had to leave on the early side so he left the TT on the floor near the loading dock door and I put my name on it so Tom could call me. I didn't hear from him so he may never have made it. Unfortunately I totally forgot to take the TT with me. Sorry, Frank.

If anyone took that with them, please let me know. I can come get it. My thanks. --Dan

Last edited:
In a Technics Box?

It's here and safe. Let me know what you want to do with it and your will be done.

Frank C.

This was a great gathering. Lots of nice gear and a lot of really good conversations. I came home with a pair of KLH Fives that I was definitely NOT going to buy. Until I did. Thanks to Jim for the two output transistors for my QRX-7001 in restoration.

I screwed up and left a turntable belonging to Barncats (Bruce) that was supposed to be picked up there by Tom (Tcomiskey). Bruce had to leave on the early side so he left the TT on the floor near the loading dock door and I put my name on it so Tom could call me. I didn't hear from him so he may never have made it. Unfortunately I totally forgot to take the TT with me. Sorry, Frank.

If anyone took that with them, please let me know. I can come get it. My thanks. --Dan

Markus and "thedelihaus" Paul were there?!

Dang!

I was doin' truck repair with my son-in-law way up north...

Hi mhardy! :D

Sorry you missed it... It was great to hang out with another *ghost of AK* O DIDN'T RECOGNIZE deli at first... He looks like Santa Claus :yes:

I was amazed how many people were there...I think I knew maybe 10 of you! And SOOOO much amazing gear....

Thanks for being a gracious host as always frank!

When I post photos, they always appear as thumbnails....how do I post full-size photos like all the ones above?

Here are a few more...

Attachments

• ak1.jpg
    ak1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 375
  • ak2.jpg
    ak2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 369
  • ak3.jpg
    ak3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 407
  • ak4.jpg
    ak4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 363
  • ak5.jpg
    ak5.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 371
And a few more. That Optonica turntable is actually pretty nice....I guess the Stanton cartridge doesn't hurt anything. Also a box of 78's came home with me....and 9 blank "HI-MD" Sony discs (pretty rare birds, for some strange reason).

Attachments

• ak9.jpg
    ak9.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 345
  • ak8.jpg
    ak8.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 411
  • ak7.jpg
    ak7.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 351
  • ak6.jpg
    ak6.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 421
  • ak9a.jpg
    ak9a.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 350
  • ak9b.jpg
    ak9b.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 406
Really nice to see Paul "thedelihaus" there. I was unable to make it for a number of reasons. Looks like a nice get-together.

Thanks for sharing these! I came home with a new receiver for the bedroom and an ass-kicking phono preamp (thanks Don). I heard Ian's open baffle setup but (imho) it can't compare with those amazing electrostatic B&Ws he used to lug for the fest. I grew up on my Dad's very similar EV tri-axials and I think they sound better in an 8 cubit foot sealed box. Guess I'm not an OB guy...

I never got to hear that cool Stax amp though the DQs but it certainly looked interesting.

Thanks again Frank for hosting us all!

Jblnut

Those DQs were pretty sexy. I keep thinking what a great pair of rear drivers they would be when matched with my DQ10's. What a cool surround system....

Back
Top Bottom