Did I screw up? KA-801 Int Amp

RT Fan

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Stopped by a yard sale on Saturday and was surprised to see some actual stereo equipment for sale, instead of the usual all in one systems. There was a Kenwood KA-801 Integrated Amp with a Nakamichi cd changer & some Yamaha tower speakers. Tried hooking everything up in their garage, but the Nak cd player wouldn't open so I couldn't test the Kenny.
A real heavyweight, but to be honest the folks didn't know anything about it & the power switch look like it had been kicked, out of joint like a boxer's nose.
Gave me the impression it had been abused, a good miss or did I pass on a classic?

Depends on what they wanted for it, and if the switch was the only problem.
From 1980, so it would have needed some work to bring it up to snuff.
Spilled milk...

Thanks I would have just cleaned it up and given it away, like many here I have too much gear of my own. The weight was in my mind an indication of build quality, but I didn't want to buy a boat anchor, considering I don't have a boat.

Great integrated and very underrated. Second from the top of the line. The switch issue is a common problem with this model year and it happens on their tuners and tape cassette also. Would have sounded fantastic with your Cornwall IIs.

It was a pretty excellent machine back in its day. Huge power supply (dual power transformers IIRC) and very good sound.

I think the output devices are also NLA, so if it didn't actually work it would have been a doorstop or parts unit.

I was impressed with the build quality & could tell it was a beast, but already having some equipment that needs restoration, I am afraid it was a pass.

I own a Trio KA-801,and it's a very good quality amp,very similar sounding to the TOTL Trio KA-907.The only annoying thing with them is that the toggles on the end of the switches could break off easily,therefore it's quite difficult to find a cosmetically perfect one.

Back
Top Bottom