Long time Fisher owner, kinda new to the forum

Nekguda

Hi everyone, I found this site in January while looking for information about a Fisher console I have had for thirty years. From my research here it appears that I have a 1960 Coronet C-808 Provincial with a 100-T, a SA-16 Amp, and a Garrard turntable. I picked it up when I was sixteen and was working at a thrift store. I always loved the sound of the system, and spent many nights laying on floor in front of it drinking in the sounds of Yes, Cannonball Adderly, Steely Dan, and many other great LPs. I ended up putting it in storage when a couple of the tubes in the amp died, and it has been there for about 20 years. I know it needs a lot of work, and I did some stupid stuff to it when I was a kid (cut the cardboard tubes in the speakers and filing down the spindle on the turntable), but it is all there and original. I am the second owner and was there when we picked it up from the original owner, he told me he purchased it for his wife for Christmas in 1959. It looked like brand new when I got it and hopefully with the help of the great people who post here it will be once again, and will take me back to those nights laying on the floor getting lost in the music.
I will post pictures as soon as I get it cleaned up and in the house.

I've got a C-55 (the next year up) cabinet that had the same gear. The previous owner gutted the cabinet for the 100-T and SA-16, then flipped them, thinking quick money (+1K). He ended up getting about $200. :D :D :D !!!!

Right now I have my 800C stuffed in the cabinet, but my plan for it is to find either a 100-T and a SA-16, or a 500S. Both were original for the C-55. But I digress.

It shouldn't cost more than $200. to recap and replace a few of tubes. Cheaper if no tubes. But the amp and the preamp need to be recapped. Go over to the
FISHERCONSOLES.COM site and get the manual for the Coronet. It's got everything you need to know in it. 6p14p-eb Russian tubes are probably the best modern replacement for the 7189's. Or the EL-84M New Stock. Personally I like the sound of the russian tubes.

Larry

I've got a C-55 (the next year up) cabinet that had the same gear. The previous owner gutted the cabinet for the 100-T and SA-16, then flipped them, thinking quick money (+1K). He ended up getting about $200. :D :D :D !!!!

Right now I have my 800C stuffed in the cabinet, but my plan for it is to find either a 100-T and a SA-16, or a 500S. Both were original for the C-55. But I digress.

It shouldn't cost more than $200. to recap and replace a few of tubes. Cheaper if no tubes. But the amp and the preamp need to be recapped. Go over to the
FISHERCONSOLES.COM site and get the manual for the Coronet. It's got everything you need to know in it. 6p14p-eb Russian tubes are probably the best modern replacement for the 7189's. Or the EL-84M New Stock. Personally I like the sound of the russian tubes.

Larry

Seconded on the 6P14P. They're robust and sound decent and get the nifty black smudges on the glass like old Mullards.

BTW: don't let Larry talk you out of your SA-16, I'm already dangling a 500-S over his head (mwahahahaha).

-D

Back
Top Bottom