Replacing lamps in a Diplomat.

hammondcrazy

Ok,, now I got the console in my living space,, I noticed two things.. low volume on the Phono,,, and no lamps work in the tuner,, Are there any LED replacements availalbe? and what can cause hum and low volume on the phono section? Also I have a little Metropolitan for free if anyone is in the Mo area or in the Kentucky area. I can deliver it between Springfield Mo to Lexington Ky.

I am trying to locate the hum and low volume, I unhooked the TT and still hum,, I uplugged the cartridge and still hum,,, I took out the tubes and reinstalled them and same hum,,, it is like a bad ground hum,, Not the 60 cycle hum,, it is that hum you get with a bad ground,,,, I get close to the tone arm and the hum gets louder,,, The stereo sounds good on the aux and the tape input,, But the Phono is giving me fits. What else can cause this problem?

Could be, take a peice of wire and touch the TT and the receiver and see if the hum goes away.

Good luck.

The hum is in the phono preamp since you disconnected the TT. 2 - 12ax7's (V-8 & V-9) all the way in the front (under the tuning cap) are the phono preamp tubes. Grounding issues and dried out caps are possibilities also. There are two PEC's in there that can be substituted for discrete components.

Fuse lamps can be used. depending on the length of the lamp, you may have to add some brass tubing to the end of the lamps to get them to fit. You could use LED's but the lamps are set up to light the dial thru the glass edge like the receivers FISHER made. DGWOJO (AK-er) is the go to guy here.

Larry

OK I didn't remove those two,, I know where you are talking about. Everything else works like new,,, I will have to go on a recapping spree as I have to recap my Concert Grand and the theatre and a few other consoles. I would love to use green leds the pretty green ones not the pine colored ones (that is what I call that color) But right now I want to get this phono working. Thanks so much Mike.

Back
Top Bottom