KR-6600 tuning/signal meters

gort69

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello -

The tuning and signal meters on my KR-6600 are not working. The stereo indicator lamp works as it should. The signal meter gets a very slight almost undetectable wobble, the tuning meter nada. The lamp for the meters is burned out but I doubt that makes a difference. Opinions? Thanks very much.

The signal for both of those runs through the selector switch...a good cleaning with DeOxit D5 might help.

Thank you. It looks like there are 2 switches operated by the selector knob - one up front behind the face plate and one connected via a rod at the rear. Do you happen to know which switch the meter signal runs through? Thanks again.

Edit - I hosed down both the front & rear switches operated by the selector knob with Deoxit D5, as well as the source switch and no change. Quite the chore getting to the switches on the rear of the unit - pretty much torn down to the hubs! Any other ideas, or should I just take it to a shop? The receiver works perfectly otherwise. Thanks

Last edited:
When I have the tuner zeroed in on a stereo FM broadcast and tap the signal meter the needle moves in the proper direction to the right, and with the power off tapping the meter causes the needle to move toward zero to the left. It seems that the meter must be getting a signal but the needle is stuck. Is there a fix for a sticky meter?

Continuing this conversation with myself - after tapping the signal meter in order to make the needle move all of the way in each direction then switching back & forth between PHONO 1 and FM repeatedly it is now fully functional. The tuning meter however seems to be stuck, although it has drifted to the center of the scale as it was stuck to the right of center. Unfortunately it did while I wasn't looking and no amt of tapping on the lens seems to make it wiggle even a little.

I finally found out how to use the search function here so did a little digging around -

Connected my super-fine Harbor Fright $7(free with coupon) DMM set on 200mv DC to the output pegs to the tuning meter and observed the voltage. The range was ~ -24mv the farthest I could get away from a station - would go to zero at a good FM stereo station (stereo light on, signal meter pegged) and then go to positive voltage on the other side and get up to 15mv or so before it detected another station then head back down.

Next I shut the receiver off, waited a minute and set the DMM to the ohms scale and tapped the pegs with the leads to see if the needle moved. Not even a budge. Reversed the leads and tapped again - still nothing.

So what think you experts? Valid test? Bad meter or something else wrong concerning the signal it's getting? Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
You didn't say if the meter indicated a reasonable resistance reading or not...

If the coil is open, the meter is finished. But you probably cannot make that definitive call unless the meter is disconnected from the circuit.

You didn't say if the meter indicated a reasonable resistance reading or not...

If the coil is open, the meter is finished. But you probably cannot make that definitive call unless the meter is disconnected from the circuit.
Thanks for the response.

I was afraid of toasting the meter so I tapped the pegs for an instant to see if the needle moved. I found a used meter - hoping that it'll work.

The meter wires are connected to the posts via wrapped wires - if the new meter works is it best to splice the wires or just solder the new meter wires to the pegs?

Last edited:
New (used) tuning meter arrived - jumpered to test it and it works just fine. Old meter was bad. FYI - the replacement meter is out of a KR-9600 (not mine!) - same part number.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom