What is THE Kenwood TT To Own

4Play

Technics had the SL-1200, Pioneer had the PL-1000, Marantz had the 6300.

So, what did Kenwood have that was coveted as much as the ones listed above? Pics would be greatly appreciated.

I would say the KD550. The KD500 was the same table but came without a tonearm.

KD650, KD750 and KD850, etc. are rarer and are said to be progessively better.

If you can find one, the L0-7D is their supreme work, desirable but almost unobtanium.

Here is my KD550 and the second pic shows it alongside my KD5070, which I believe is one of their their TOTL fully auto:

Attachments

• kd550.jpg
    kd550.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 109
  • kenwood.jpg
    kenwood.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
+1 on the KD500/550, but really any of their TTs with the heavy ARCB base are very nice. I have a KD-4100, a couple steps down from the top, still a heckuva table - and fully automatic.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

The SL-1200 is a good turntable. The PL-1000 and Marantz 6300 are adequate but the coveted moniker comes from the Pioneer and Marantz fanatics not the general public.

The tables listed above are correct. The L-07D is a world class table better than anything from the three companies you mention.
The white ARCB turntables, 500/550 armless/armed and 600/650 quartz locked later models are very nice. The 750 and 850 use heavy material under the veneers as does something in the 900 range.

I prefer the armless tables for the added opportunity to put a better arm on the table than comes with it. Yes, this includes the armless 6300, called Marantz 6320. But it had to go so I could install a Kenwood KD-600 with the arm from the 6320, a Magnepan Unitrac I. Yes, a tonearm from that skinny speaker company.

My preference in the Technics line is a semi- or full automatic the SL-1700 II or SL-1600 II for easy use and no need to return the instant the record ends.

Technics made some very nice turntables without arms. Might be nice but I have the KD-600 and a Thorens so I don't need to go that way. And these usually need to have a plinth made to hold the arm.

Kenwood/TRIO KD-500 TT would get my vote (not counting of-course the L0-7D).. After all,it was their 1ST TOTL model in-which you could add any hi-end tonearm to,depending on your preference and/or budget.

Since the 70's I've had "midline" Sony, NAD and Technics turntables. While not owning any, I have "70's" experience with Dual, Hitachi and Pioneer on friend's systems. I've not much experience with Marantz.

In the last few years I have obtained my Kenwoods locally to replace my ailing NAD.

I think Kenwoods are real sleepers, esp. the ARCB models as described. I first picked up the KD550 and was so impressed I later scooped up a local KD5070 for my living room system, which my wife uses, and likes the auto features. Both sound very nice with the vintage Ortofon and Shure cartridges I use.

L07 info: http://www.thevintageknob.org/kenwood-L-07D.html
KD500/550 info: http://www.thevintageknob.org/kenwood-KD-500.html

Last edited:
Kenwood

I've recently picked up a kd-770t.I don't know where they rank with the 550,550 or any of those mentioned above. I like mine. Sorry no pictures. Eric

Nice table you have in the KD770.

The KD770 appears to be a higher end deck than the 550, but is not common like the 550. I guess it depends on how you define "What is THE Kenwood to own." Do you mean the best, or the most ubiquitous quality TT?

wrong model number

I've recently picked up a kd-770t.I don't know where they rank with the 550,550 or any of those mentioned above. I like mine. Sorry no pictures. Eric

Sorry, it's actually a kd-770 d as in dog. (.fat fingers on a phone).Eric

Back
Top Bottom