1 year in to this hobby and I am hooked

bborders33

Noob Extraordinaire
In a year I have been through 5 amps, 2 TT's, and working on my 3rd set of speakers. Every time I change something I think, "wow, it sounds so much better!" and then I start looking for the next change. I guess that's how it works.

Current setup is a Marantz 2270, Dual 1229, and a pair of BIC America FH65B's.

I haven't seen anybody else on here talk about the BIC's but I have read elsewhere how similar they are to Klipsch in sound due to the horns they use. Really never heard the Klipsch before, but I do like the sound of these.

Working on repairing some Pioneer CS-63DX's, just ordered the caps and starting cleaning up the cabinets. Thanks to everybody on here for all the info.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 345
I just ordered a pair of those same BICs... looking forward to hearing how those sound.

Suppose you want help but, there is no cure for this sickness once it has been caught except buy more, buy more often and never be satisfied.

As for the BIC sounding like Klipsch, maybe if you really stretch it. The heritage models, no but maybe the writers were referring to a newer series such as the KLFs. Also, the core models such as the Chorus, Fortes, Heresys, etc. are candidates for the diy modders and great for that group. I just played a bit with the Heresy IIs and the result was an altogether different and far better sounding speaker. Not sure I could buy a new set of speakers flr less than a couple of grand that sound as good and my investment was only a couple of hundred and about 2 hours of non-sweat inducing work.

The reviews I have read compare them to the Klipsch's Reference series specifically. Really don't have much experience with Klipsch speakers at all, but I really do enjoy the BIC's. Classical music is definitely clearer and more pleasant from the horns, and they are capable of producing adequately low frequencies for a 6 inch woofer (to my ears). However, I should note I don't have a lot of experience with other speakers for reference. I started out with the Micca MB42's as they were recommended in multiple places as a great budget speaker for beginners. They were clear and crisp, but lacked in the low end. Would be great for a desk setup though.

Last edited:
bborders33 … once the bug bites, it doesn't let go easily. Enjoy your journey. Keep in mind as you go that "better" become more and more elusive as you get better and better equipment. Different? Yes … Better? well, that is in the eye (well ear) of the beholder. Every change is going to bring out things you didn't hear before (sometimes due to flaws in the new or old equipment) and you may also in fact lose some things that you had before without really noticing it - until later. But, that is what makes this hobby so much fun. Perfection is not really achievable, but different and more satisfying is …. so have a great time. Just make sure you keep the $$$ spent in line with your means :)

A lot of stuff went in and out during the last 4 years on my part :D It`s both fun and exausting.

Welcome to the machine. You have a great amp and a decent turntable (and I assume you have a clean needle and cartridge, set up properly). I am guessing you also have a CD player or computer for digital music. In my opinion, you should compare a dozen or more speakers. Buy and sell different speakers as you test them, moving slowly towards the sound you prefer.

You will find speakers you think are "sluggish", you will find speakers you think are "bright", you will find speakers that sound "awesome" that after an hour or two you hate. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

You are training your brain to figure out what you like. Once you know what you like, and have speakers you like with your sources, you can test your other equipment.

You will change your amp, your cartridges, etc. and improve your system, as the years go by. If you don't drink the snake oil, you might be able to avoid spending years changing your speaker wires and interconnects.

Yea, you're among a Great group of addicts that help one another, so enjoy your stay!

Rome

bborders33 … once the bug bites, it doesn't let go easily. Enjoy your journey. Keep in mind as you go that "better" become more and more elusive as you get better and better equipment. Different? Yes … Better? well, that is in the eye (well ear) of the beholder. Every change is going to bring out things you didn't hear before (sometimes due to flaws in the new or old equipment) and you may also in fact lose some things that you had before without really noticing it - until later. But, that is what makes this hobby so much fun. Perfection is not really achievable, but different and more satisfying is …. so have a great time. Just make sure you keep the $$$ spent in line with your means :)
Well said, soundmig! :)

Welcome to the machine. You have a great amp and a decent turntable (and I assume you have a clean needle and cartridge, set up properly). I am guessing you also have a CD player or computer for digital music. In my opinion, you should compare a dozen or more speakers. Buy and sell different speakers as you test them, moving slowly towards the sound you prefer.

You will find speakers you think are "sluggish", you will find speakers you think are "bright", you will find speakers that sound "awesome" that after an hour or two you hate. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

You are training your brain to figure out what you like. Once you know what you like, and have speakers you like with your sources, you can test your other equipment.

You will change your amp, your cartridges, etc. and improve your system, as the years go by. If you don't drink the snake oil, you might be able to avoid spending years changing your speaker wires and interconnects.

The guy I purchased the TT from helped me set it up correctly. Simple Audio Technica cart (for now). I don't have a CD player, really don't listen to them, but I am using an old Mac Book with a Behringer UCA202 External DAC for digital music (internal DAC sounded questionable). I'm switching over to FLAC and ALAC files, but still have a lot of MP3's. Speakers are my next focal point, but I am going to fix up the Pioneers CS-63DX's and try them out. Will probably stick with them for a while though, as to not upset my better half (she is starting to question my constant changes). Just using standard heavy gauge speaker wire and RCA cables for now and no plans on changing them.

Love this site, thanks for the words of wisdom guys.

There will come a point in time when you realize it's time to sit back and enjoy the music.

About 6 months ago I went to my storage, and found my old Onkyo Tx 4500 receiver, Yamaha YP-701 turntable, and Pioneer CS-77 speakers.
Unpacked them, dusted them off, and plugged them in..............and wondered why I have been listening to digital for the last 30 years.
Pioneer speakers are in the garage for a little TLC right now, So I replaced them with a pair of Klipsch Chorus. I think the Pioneers will remain in the garage, but as a pair of garage speakers after I finish working on them. Now I have to find a decent garage receiver for them!
I also need to replace most of my vinyl that I got rid of when I thought CD was the future.....so I got that going for me too!:D

There will come a point in time when you realize it's time to sit back and enjoy the music.

So TRUE!!!

I spent too many years and too much money chasing the proverbial dragon, just to find out that I had wasted way too many years and too much money ignoring the important part--the MUSIC.

I have owned much worse gear, and as finances permitted, much better gear, but now I have a kind of middle of the road system. It's no slouch, but you won't see it on the cover of Stereophile anytime soon, but I'm OK with that. It does what I want it to do, and sounds good to me.

Now I just have fun pulling out obscure lps and shopping for more music.

Back
Top Bottom