New member of the family, baby SX-1980

aussiedan

Ambition beyond ability
I was a happy boy today, scored an SX-1980. After chatting to a friend he informed me of his fathers passing. I was taken back at first, I remeber the pain of loosing my dad. Long story short, due to a bad situation with the will (contest) he was forced to get rid of his fathers old gear.
I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a one owner SX-1980. I also got a pair of JBL-110's that need a refoam.
As much as I'm happy to be able to help him, I still feel a bit of guilt that it was through the passing of his dad. Its kinda easy when you dont know the history or have a connection, its just a score. And I'm happy to give his baby a loving home.

Something odd with this unit is the heat sink grilles. Never seen them before on an SX-1980. Maybe it was a local design rule unique to Australia, dont know. But kinda funky. It states its a 240v unit on the back panel, not multi voltage, I'm still to pull the voltage setting plug and see if theres other voltages listed underneath.

First pic is as it arrived
2nd is cleaned up and working
3rd is the same
4th is the veiw of the heat sink covers.

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
As much as I'm happy to be able to help him, I still feel a bit of guilt that it was through the passing of his dad. Its kinda easy when you dont know the history or have a connection, its just a score. And I'm happy to give his baby a loving home.

Your friend's father probably loved music and loved the gear too, judging by what he had. It has passed to someone who loves the music and loves the gear.

I say :music:

I agree. At least it's in good hands. However the circumstance, its a nice acquisition. You can now remove the 'one day maybe' from your signature.

true frahengeo, must do that.

jhtstone, I'm grateful to be able to help, but theres a selfish part of me thats also very happy. I guess auidokarma is just that.
These things find a way of finding a home. They find you, you dont find them.
Its taken me a long time to get sweet with that.

This year has been an awakening. I've not long got a Spec system set up, after convincing myself a spec system would be the best I could achieve. Spec 2 was due to be collected from a minor issue with the right channel, right when this SX showed up.

Karma goes around and comes around. When its time, its time. I've got a Spec 1 thats been fitted out with a remote volume control. I got my tech to relocate the mic input to the rear and fit an IR pick up in the "mic" hole. Might be the only remote controlled spec 1 around(?) I've been really enjoying that, but a Spec1 and 2 V's a 1980.....

Thats a big call. Jurys out atm....

Hi aussiedan,

congrats, and I agree, the unit is in hands that will enjoy the receiver. you clearly are not looking to make money off it. The receiver is in good hands and you should enjoy it as the original owner did.

I acquired my L-110A's in a similar situation. The brother of the owner passed, and he was forced to sell the estate. We got to talking and come to find out the original owner worked in a Palo Alto studio where CCR did some recordings. He asked me what I was planning on doing with them. I explained they would be restored, and be used in my personal set up. Did the restore, and posted the restore process on the LH forum. I sent him the link so he was able to watch the restore process.

He sent me an email a few weeks later telling me thank you, and his brother would have liked to know they went to someone who would enjoy them. While I have better gear, I would never feel right selling them. I love them, and appreciate the history of the item. I hope one day the next owner gets them in the same manner... not to be morbid, but it's how the hobby is. :)

Great thread man, you should check the L110's to see if they are the A model. They should have an A and H after the serial number. They have better woofers and XO's. Better built cabinets as well.

Note: The foam job on the LE111h woofers are quite tricky.

I want to say great score, but a congrats is a better word.

Congrats man!

Thanks jo, I'll look into your info on the 110's. Seems I've not got the A model. I've got some HPM 100's that seem to be enlightened with the 1980.
Thanks very much for the pointers. As it stands there is only one of the 110's that needs attention, but they will both be done as the pair they came as.
I was aslo offered a chance to buy some JBL-212's, but i'm into 2 channel stuff. The 212's seem big ticket, but I'm not interested in satelite stuff. I guess these are comments more appropriate for the speaker forum, but its just how this deal rolled.
Mates dad was into the good stuff, thats hard to get past.
If theres someone after some classic JBL-212's I'm happy to hook you up, as it will help him. He dosnt need ebay taking a hungry cut.
I'd love to be able to help him out with someone that could value and treasure them than just a punter of the bay. You guys here value this stuff.
Sorry if it sounds like an add, thats not the intention. If someone genuine is interested, I'm happy to pass the info on and let him make the judgement. I've got my dream receiver, I cant ask for more.

Thanks jo, I'll look into your info on the 110's. Seems I've not got the A model. I've got some HPM 100's that seem to be enlightened with the 1980.
Thanks very much for the pointers. As it stands there is only one of the 110's that needs attention, but they will both be done as the pair they came as.
I was aslo offered a chance to buy some JBL-212's, but i'm into 2 channel stuff. The 212's seem big ticket, but I'm not interested in satelite stuff. I guess these are comments more appropriate for the speaker forum, but its just how this deal rolled.
Mates dad was into the good stuff, thats hard to get past.
If theres someone after some classic JBL-212's I'm happy to hook you up, as it will help him. He dosnt need ebay taking a hungry cut.
I'd love to be able to help him out with someone that could value and treasure them than just a punter of the bay. You guys here value this stuff.
Sorry if it sounds like an add, thats not the intention. If someone genuine is interested, I'm happy to pass the info on and let him make the judgement. I've got my dream receiver, I cant ask for more.

Good Luck with the 110s, the basket lip is really narrow, and the gap between the cone and basket is also narrow, another issue to be aware of is the cone travel on the woofers are so tight it makes a foam job some serious work.

My suggestion: apply adhesive to the back side of the cone prior to the installation of the foam. Just be careful not to get adhesive on the foam when attaching. If you try to apply the adhesive to the foam, it will be a pain. The inner foam lip is extremely narrow, and the foam has a thin roll bubble, so its a real tight fit. I would also use a good quality adhesive (Simply Speakers), I would stay away from the Elmer's style glue, you are going to want something that is fast curing for an accurate coil set.

I know the A has a different woofer, but the foam is the same. It also uses a rubber "gasket" instead of the standard speaker gasket. All said, makes it a harder woofer to foam, but well worth the extra work.

I have a set of the L-150's and I would let them go in a heartbeat over the 110's. Simply amazing for only 10s.

Thanks for the info on the 212's, I'm with you on the 2 channel set ups, not only that shipping would probably be out of control. :) Thank you tho!

Ill bet the HPM-100's will sound perfect matched with the 1980, we would love to see some pix when you have it all set up! :) Congrats again man!

- John

Last edited:
Aussiedan, congrats on your 1980, and welcome to the club!!! I absolutely LOVE my 1980 - it gets listened to many hours a day every day. Mine was fully recapped and restored by AKer Mattsd, and it's been making beautiful music for several years now, and I look forward to it doing so for many, many more :D

Thanks jo, seems they are not the A model. I decided to get them done professionally, will cost a few more bucks than doing it myself, the ones i have done have been easy but your the second one that has told me they are a difficult refoam. The HPM's are rocking away nicley so far, sounds great:banana:
I still need to do some rack rearranging before I'm happy enough to post some pics of it set up.

Thanks for the welcome Skylab, lol. I imagine the time will come for a recap, but I'm just enjoying it for a while, its been a long hunt. So far it seems to be nicer than the spec separates, that could be a condition related issue.
I've often admired your sig picture, way cool!

Back
Top Bottom