Gibson SG Pics Please.

Pardon my hijack. A question for you Gibson/Epiphone folks.

I'm Thinking of getting The Kid an Epiphone ES-339. He played one today & really, really liked it.
Here is my conundrum. The one he played Has the Alnico Classic PUPs. The one available online only (bastards) for about $120 less has the modern P90s. My concern is that with the P90s, it's a significant enough difference that it won't be the guitar he was falling in love with.
So here's what I've done: I'm having them ship the P90 model to store so he can play them both and compare.
In the mean time, your thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 6
Will you be my Dad? :thmbsp: Great way of handling this!

Ha! Since I (an admitted drummer) have way too many amps, and turntables, and speakers, and... my fear is visiting this character defect on The Kid.

I swear, we only went to the store to get strings....

Pardon my hijack. A question for you Gibson/Epiphone folks.

I'm Thinking of getting The Kid an Epiphone ES-339. He played one today & really, really liked it.
Here is my conundrum. The one he played Has the Alnico Classic PUPs. The one available online only (bastards) for about $120 less has the modern P90s. My concern is that with the P90s, it's a significant enough difference that it won't be the guitar he was falling in love with.
So here's what I've done: I'm having them ship the P90 model to store so he can play them both and compare.
In the mean time, your thoughts?

Gonna guess that contemporary P-90s (unless would by Seymour D) will be much hotter than Alnico Classic PUPs, reish or vintage. Question: Are the Alnico PUPs neck and bridge, or neck only? even w/ LP Customs '54-56 it was customary to have the Alnico in the neck position and a cobalt (P-90) in the bridge for the hotter lead tone.

1997SG.03.png
SGS.9.5.13.png

Gonna guess that contemporary P-90s (unless would by Seymour D) will be much hotter than Alnico Classic PUPs, reish or vintage. Question: Are the Alnico PUPs neck and bridge, or neck only? even w/ LP Customs '54-56 it was customary to have the Alnico in the neck position and a cobalt (P-90) in the bridge for the hotter lead tone.

The Alnicos are in both positions. He spent some time playing both guitars, and chose the one with the Alnicos. He loves it!
Her name is Samantha. ( He named the Tele "Sally", and his bass is Earl. )

The Alnicos are in both positions. He spent some time playing both guitars, and chose the one with the Alnicos. He loves it!
Her name is Samantha. ( He named the Tele "Sally", and his bass is Earl. )

I was tempted to name my ('69) Tele "Savalas" but resisted. I've had my '62 SG Special since circa '75 and still haven't named it, unless "the '62 Special' counts.

Back
Top Bottom