AK Bracket Game is Back!

Kudos to Kevin Collins on some great picks, especially Louisville and MSU in the East Bracket :thmbsp:

And kcollins ends up with 4 in the final 4, with Roger and several others lacking Sparty with 3 teams left in their brackets.

That was a lot of 7th seed bonus points there Kevin.:thmbsp:

By F'n you mean "firing" right?:D

Rick Barnes made Longhorn basketball relevant and then suffered from his own success. Growing up and well into my twenties, basketball was not even on the radar. In the early '80s, we used to go mainly to watch the Lady Horns play, you could watch both the men's and women's games for the price of a one ticket. Jody Conradt's women were actually more relevant than Abe Lemon's and Bob Weltlich's teams.

Barnes changed everything and had pretty resounding success his first ten years - the last few, not so much. I became a basketball fan (mainly UT/Big12 - i still don't watch much other than that) watching Rick Barnes teams.

Something you hear locally but is not in much of the national coverage is the fact that UT is looking at having to build a new basketball arena within a few years because the Frank Erwin Center is going to give way to the new medical school. The AD and others had to have been worried that with the malaise in the fan base, they would not be able to raise the $70 million needed this next year without doing something to energize the program.

I hate to see Barnes go because there's no question he's a good coach, a good guy, and has run a great program. But it is just time to go a different direction.

Oh, he probably has a job by the time you read this. Best of luck to Coach Barnes in the future.

Oh, he probably has a job by the time you read this. Best of luck to Coach Barnes in the future.

The ESPN PTI guys had him pegged for Tennessee this afternoon. The guy makes the tourney 16 outta 17 years and gets shown the door, my perennially underachieving school would put up a statue of him and make him coach for life.

At least I have a narrow lead on the professional bracketologist.

And an insurmountable deficit to the other Purdue guy.

The ESPN PTI guys had him pegged for Tennessee this afternoon. The guy makes the tourney 16 outta 17 years and gets shown the door, my perennially underachieving school would put up a statue of him and make him coach for life.

The funny thing is that most fans probably wouldn't have a problem putting up a statue of Rick Barnes.

Pretty much all the buzz so far here in Austin on a replacement has been about Shaka Smart. I haven't seen VCU play so I can't say one way or another whether this is a good move.

And kcollins ends up with 4 in the final 4, with Roger and several others lacking Sparty with 3 teams left in their brackets.

That was a lot of 7th seed bonus points there Kevin.:thmbsp:
Utter dumb luck.:D In the case of Wisconsin though, that's udder dumb luck. Good games tomorrow!

Wisconsin...
Smell our Dairy Air. :D

38-1 works for me.

I'm back home and watched the game with my family in a bar; what a surprise.

I bet I could swing through Indy and get a deal on Monday's tix from Kentucky Fan

Nice job, Badgers :thmbsp:

The Badgers were tough :thmbsp:
Their physical play should wear down the Dookies, especially Kaminsky and Dekker versus Okafor and Winslow.

Tumbling down the bracket,
Roger

The Badgers were tough :thmbsp:
Their physical play should wear down the Dookies, especially Kaminsky and Dekker versus Okafor and Winslow.

Tumbling down the bracket,
Roger

Certainly a tough talented team but Duke beat them by 10 back at the beginning of the year when Duke were fielding essentially a freshman team.

No doubt Duke is more improved than is Wisconsin since as freshman year brings the greatest growth by far to a college player.

I picked Duke preseason to win it all, I changed to KY after NC State beat Duke. I started to back peddle on KY ever since post season, they just looked more and more vulnerable to good teams. I think their schedule did them in. Just weren't challenged enough in the regular season.

Now I have got it down to two teams, Wisconsin or Duke. :D

Seriously, I like Duke in this. As I already said, I think Duke is more improved from the first meeting, Duke already won, by 10, AT MADISON, history shows that teams that win a first game against an opponent generally beat them again if they meet and Duke just took out the team that played Wisconsin dead even for the Big Ten title.

That said, Wisconsin has the single most talented player (at this level, this year) and I have seen year after year a player like that just will his team to victory and Wisconsin seems a team of destiny. From the no call that got them the Big Ten championship and #1 seed to them always capitalizing on the ball bounces.

Should be a good one. :thmbsp:

As I already said, I think Duke is more improved from the first meeting, Duke already won, by 10, AT MADISON

Dekker was half speed at that point of the season, I think he had 5 points in their first meeting. I bet he scores more this time.

I was disappointed last night, right after the game, seeing the interview of Bo Ryan where he was complaining about the refs.

So today, the first two stories I see are about he and a couple of his players taking the low road again.

it's a shame.

Maybe they ought to realize that without a "bad call" in the Big Ten Championship game they don't win the Big Ten nor gain a one seed which may well have cost them a chance to play in the final.

Such is sport, it's hard to lose with grace.

Final Leaderboard

Congratulations to kcollins. He takes a year off as commissioner and wins it by a healthy margin!
Here's a look at the final leaderboard:
attachment.php

We got to see some great games this year. Can't wait til the next one.

Any opinions or feedback on this years scoring experiment? It certainly didn't help my shabby bracket, but the champ picked up significant bonus points from MSU's run.

Oh, and I saw that there were trumpeters from the major Indiana universities helping with the national anthem last night. So Purdue did get players on the floor for the finals!:D

Attachments

• leaderboard.jpg
    leaderboard.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for putting the Bracket Game together! I did terrible, as did my team, but it was fun! Only six months till Late Night. :thmbsp:

Thanks for putting the Bracket Game together! I did terrible, as did my team, but it was fun! Only six months till Late Night. :thmbsp:

You are very welcome, Darcy!
Sorry about your Jayhawks. At least your team was at the dance.:tears:
My buddy (MSU fan) was over watching the finals with me and we recalled the 2013 final.
Michigan started 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores.
All 5 are in the NBA now.
They could all still have been in the NCAA.:sigh:

I know, this sport is loaded with "What If's" .

Back
Top Bottom