Help needed with RT-909 restoration

jcnash

BUSTED!!
First of all, thanks to pustelniakr for his amazing thread over in the DIY section! Kudos for the detailed write-up.

Posted this question in his thread, but figured I would post here as well, in case any other gurus have experience with this.

Currently rebuilding my newly acquired 909. So far I've replaced the capstan motor belt, re-built the motor itself, and have also replaced the pinch roller rubber.

Currently in the process of re-building the tensioners and am having some issues dismantling the assembly.

I've removed the initial section and am currently at the tap plate. Cant seem to figure out how to get the little metal rod (tap plate) out to be able to access the rest of the tensioner. I've managed to lift the rod out of the crevice , but the outer raised edge of the guide case prevents it from being lifted up further to be removed. (see pic).

Would appreciate some advice from someone who has done this in the past on how to dismantle the rest of the tensioner.

Thanks!

Pic here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=572360&d=1422908825

Not that I know of. The little rod needs be lifted out of its crevice and pulled out to release the case below it.

I cant seem to figure out how to remove the little rod.

Anyone?

Unfortunately no! :(

The holes have a small nylon protrusion from the inside (probably to maintain the orientation of the piece under the guide case). Also the guide case doesn't even rotate because the rod in the crevice prevents it from any motion in any direction.

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out how to dismantle stuff. I'm at a loss on this one though.

Try pushing down on the plate the rod is holding, or lifting UP on the shaft the rod is going thru. Also on the back side see if there is a flywheel or something that is screwed to the shaft (like the tuning knob on some of the receivers) to allow the shaft some play.

First, the part you want to remove is called the "guide case." It is not normally retained by the "parallel pin." Instead, it is supposed to be retained by a c-clip and spring washer (see this image: http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34180&d=1166522852).

In your case, someone has tried to drive the pin out while the guide case is still in place (bad mojo). Take a center punch, and carefully drive the pin back to a centered position (off of the guide case). Then, the guide case should slide right off. The slot the pin sits in is clear through the guide case, so it is not in the way of sliding the guide case off. Be careful to put your cupped hand under the tension arm assembly, to catch the parallel pin, if it falls out once the guide case has been slid off.

Good luck,
Rich P

Thanks so much for this Rich!!

Couple of details...I removed the C-Clip and the spring washer. Once those pieces were off, I didn't know how to proceed, but your message clarifies the next steps.

I will put the parallel pin back into its slot and try to slide the guide case off.

I will attempt this when I get home tonight and report back.

Thanks again for the response. Much appreciated!!

First, the part you want to remove is called the "guide case." It is not normally retained by the "parallel pin." Instead, it is supposed to be retained by a c-clip and spring washer (see this image: http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34180&d=1166522852).

In your case, someone has tried to drive the pin out while the guide case is still in place (bad mojo). Take a center punch, and carefully drive the pin back to a centered position (off of the guide case). Then, the guide case should slide right off. The slot the pin sits in is clear through the guide case, so it is not in the way of sliding the guide case off. Be careful to put your cupped hand under the tension arm assembly, to catch the parallel pin, if it falls out once the guide case has been slid off.

Good luck,
Rich P

jcnash, I just finished doing the exact procedure you're in the middle of, a week ago. My guide case just lifted right off and I'm sure yours will too.

I do want to give you a heads-up when it comes time for reassembly; specifically, reattaching the Damper Assy to the Shutoff Cam. It's not difficult in the least, especially if you know what to reference (as Rich makes mention of).

The Damper Assy has (slight) spring loaded tension applied, and you will need to ensure it is "reloaded" the same. I took some photos (OK, during my rebuild, I took a LOT of photos)(for my sanity!) and here's a couple that hopefully will explain what I mean and help save you some time.

Good luck with the rest of your rebuild, Rich's guide is AWESOME.

- Jeff

Tapeheads.net has a lot of people who have worked on this deck. If you need additional guidance, I encourage you to check out the reel to reel forum.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the experts who chimed in and helped me with this rebuild, specially to Rich (pustelniakr) for the incredibly detailed thread on the rebuild and to Jeff (hertzdonut) for the pictures, without which I would've almost definitely messed up the orientation of the mechanisms.

My RT-909 is up and running! Ive replaced the capstan belt and pinch rollers, and have rebuilt the dampener assembly, which were the main pieces of work required to get it up and running.

However, ultimately, once Ive had a chance to use the deck for a while, I might PM Rich and send it over for a full and thorough re-build!

THANKS ALL.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the experts who chimed in and helped me with this rebuild, specially to Rich (pustelniakr) for the incredibly detailed thread on the rebuild and to Jeff (hertzdonut) for the pictures, without which I would've almost definitely messed up the orientation of the mechanisms.

My RT-909 is up and running! Ive replaced the capstan belt and pinch rollers, and have rebuilt the dampener assembly, which were the main pieces of work required to get it up and running.

However, ultimately, once Ive had a chance to use the deck for a while, I might PM Rich and send it over for a full and thorough re-build!

THANKS ALL.

Congrats on getting your 909 up and running! Great feeling, isn't it? Glad the pics were able to help. I'm sure you'll really enjoy your deck, especially with the work you've put in so far. :thmbsp:

If I may make a suggestion, depending if you feel like doing "just one other thing": You undoubtably followed Rich's suggestion to swap left and right Guide Tables, to provide a new surface for the tape. If you haven't already, I would also recommend rotating the Tape Guides and Foil Sensing Guide. Easy to do, and doesn't involve massive teardown. Nice fresh tape path!

Back
Top Bottom