Diagnostic Question?

buildingnut

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on a diagnostic procedure for non working stereo equipment? I know this seems like a loaded question so I will attempt to clear it up. If a piece of equipment is completely inoperative we know that we have to check fuses and verify power and grounds, however if the equipment lights up but has for example has no sound on fm where would one start? This is not for a specific model it is just a general question in attempt to better understand the flow of diagnostic procedure. Is their something in the service manual that describes the flow ( is this possibly what the block diagram is and if so could someone please explain how it works ). Generally there is a clue that one could see like in the example about no fm, does the tuning meter respond, does the fm light light up etc and then one could start checking voltages on the tuner board and pin out values on the ic chips etc. I mainly work on Pioneer equipment hence I posted it in this forum, I hope the question makes sense, if not please respond and I can reword the question or respond to the replies, thank you for all the people who take time to read and respond to this question, I think it will help myself and many others.
Trevor

I had been repairing sets for some time now (No Pro, just a hobbiest) and It seems each set has a different approach. I was working on a Realistic STA-2100D for a friend and downloaded the Service manual. In it was a really nice troubleshooting flow chart. Logical and easy to understand. It could work for almost any set. Check out the Realistic SM when you get a chance.

Nothing will work without power. That may seem obvious, but ALL circuits need to have the correct power supplied to them at the correct points. Circuits generally follow fairly conventional concepts, but their designs vary in almost as many ways as there are equipment models.

As for your question about FM receiving circuits, RF circuits are a different chapter in the book. Their designs also vary widely.

Diag

Thank you Zeb that was exactly what I was looking for a trouble tree that would lead to that correct area, I realize this will not always be the case but a good guideline to follow. I will print those pages from the service manual.
Watthour you make very good points, circuits must have proper power and ground to function. I enjoy following these threads as they help everyone learn. I am a firm believer in the no stupid questions, we all have our own unique ways of learning. Thank you gentlemen for your prompt replies! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom