Forte II parts

turkey

Anybody have any Forte II's for parts? I am possibly looking for a passive if available.
Or anyone know how to patch a tear in the cone portion of the driver?

Thanks

Go to craft store and pick up,
Black tissue paper like they use to stuff gift bags
Elmers glue
1/2 inch paint brush

Remove the driver,
Place the speaker cone tear back in position the best you can,
Cut 10 pieces of the tissue paper about an inch bigger then the tear,
Dilute the glue in a bowl with plain water to soup consistency,
Brush the glue around the tear and place a piece of tissue on the wet spot and wet brush the tissue,
Do the same on the other side of the speaker,
Allow about 20 minutes for dry time between the layers,
Brush glue on five layers a side.
Allow 24 hours dry time before using the speaker.
Done

Anybody have any Forte II's for parts? I am possibly looking for a passive if available.
Or anyone know how to patch a tear in the cone portion of the driver?

Thanks

What part of the planet are you on? Can you post a picture of the tear?

Go to craft store and pick up,
Black tissue paper like they use to stuff gift bags
Elmers glue
1/2 inch paint brush

Remove the driver,
Place the speaker cone tear back in position the best you can,
Cut 10 pieces of the tissue paper about an inch bigger then the tear,
Dilute the glue in a bowl with plain water to soup consistency,
Brush the glue around the tear and place a piece of tissue on the wet spot and wet brush the tissue,
Do the same on the other side of the speaker,
Allow about 20 minutes for dry time between the layers,
Brush glue on five layers a side.
Allow 24 hours dry time before using the speaker.
Done

Yeah, I've read this before....Honestly, I'm just scared to do it due to not wanting to ruin the driver.

What part of the planet are you on? Can you post a picture of the tear?

Cant hurt to ask, there has to be a few people who don't like Forte's on this planet somewhere... ;)

photo.jpg

Well, from the looks of the tear, without a repair, the passive is already ruined. You have very little to lose and much to gain by trying a patch. If the patch works for you, the money you save can be spent on more music.

My passive on one of my Forte had the same problem. Two years later, the patch is still holding strong.

Good luck in what ever direction you decide to take. I love the sound of my Fortes.

Can you get behind the tear? If so, another method you could try is get some blue painters tape, (3M NOT $ store) tape a big enough piece behind where the tear is, following the contour of the cone, then with both hands, slowly press the tear onto the tape, to match the contour. Go to one of the sewing stores and pickup some Allene's Original Tacky Glue, (it stays mildly flexible when dry). Dilute some in a bottle top, (about 30% water). Get a long sewing needle and gingerly "paint" some of the glue mix on just the tear seams and cracks. Let it dry for a day, then carefully peel the blue tape off of the back of the cone. If you take your time, the repair will look close to original.

Yeah, I've read this before....Honestly, I'm just scared to do it due to not wanting to ruin the driver.

Cant hurt to ask, there has to be a few people who don't like Forte's on this planet somewhere... ;)

photo.jpg

What I meant was are you in the Detroit area?

Yeah, I think I may have met with you before at a meet, or spoken with you on the phone before.

I need to take the driver out of the cabinet and see what it looks like inside. I'm sure I can do it, I just need it perfect otherwise I'll feel as though it's not good enough, then it will bug me.

If you're uncomfortable doing this, or want a professional opinion, you can try Alan @ Spiral Reconing in Berkeley, MI. He works out of his home, but has been doing this since the mid-70's.

Back
Top Bottom