Setting Pioneer PL-10 overhang

telemike

The Pioneer Pl-10 uses a 45rpm adapter with a 15.5mm radius line to set the overhange with. The manual doesn't state where the position of the tone-arm should be when setting the needle on the line. I am assuming with the headshell parallel to the front panel?

The Pioneer Pl-10 uses a 45rpm adapter with a 15.5mm radius line to set the overhange with. The manual doesn't state where the position of the tone-arm should be when setting the needle on the line. I am assuming with the headshell parallel to the front panel?

I had a PL-10 a million years ago. As I very vaguely recall, the overhang specification was provided by the cartridge manufacturer. Don't you have to bring the tone arm to the center of the platter, positioned over the adapter? Or am I completely missing your point?

Install the 45 adapter on the spindle. Then move the tonearm so the cartridge sits on top of the adapter. Adjust the cartridge until the stylus lines up with the mark on the adapter. Page 6 of the owners manual. http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-10.shtml

I'd be willing to bet it's probably the same distance (49mm) that later PIONEER turntables with removeable headshells used for headshell/cartridge/stylus alignment.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Technics-Pioneer Headshell alignment.JPG
    Technics-Pioneer Headshell alignment.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 78
Hmmmmm. Try 52mm, or if you have the adapter, put it on the spindle, and move the tonearm so it's centered on the spindle. Line up the stylus with the mark on the adapter, and tighten slightly to hold the mark. Lay it on it's side and measure from the rubber washer to the stylus tip. It might be easier to lay it on it's side on a piece of paper and make 2 marks on the paper and then measure it.
Write it down somewhere you know it'll be safe (like the inside of the owners manual). Now you can use that measurement to set it any time without resorting to breaking out the adapter and setting up the process.

Back
Top Bottom