The Basic Turntable Setup Video - a new version

I learned a lot from this and now I have to question how well my cartridge was installed. The guy only used an overhang gauge. The table sounds good to me but am I missing something in the fact that a protractor wasn't used? It's a Sure v-15 III and the stylus he put on is a 4764-DE Generic Stylus. Polished elliptical diamond, .3 x .7 . it says made in Switzerland. The more I read on this forum the more I hear terms like "soundstage and imaging". Is this a tweek that will improve on these aspects? The next question is should I just go ahead and get the Jico sas and a protractor? All the rave about this cartrige is to use the Jico. :scratch2:

Great video, thank you.I noticed when you used your protractor you didn't align the horizontal sight line with the tone arm pivot point when checking the outer alignment grid. I thought that was critical to ensure the correct overhang or do you just go with the factory recommended overhang?

It doesnt work like that

Great video, thank you.I noticed when you used your protractor you didn't align the horizontal sight line with the tone arm pivot point when checking the outer alignment grid. I thought that was critical to ensure the correct overhang or do you just go with the factory recommended overhang?

The two point protractor does not require the pivot point sight line. Overhang should be set first as close as possible and then the protractor.

If you learn to use the protractor, overhang becomes irrelevant because you can actually achieve overhang by perfect alignment.

Now a single point protractor (like the one clearaudio provided me) uses the pivot point sightline as does the VPI alignment tool, etc...

Best process I have found is get that overhang close. Now use the protractor. To get the perfect alignment may require a slight forward or back but one achieved, should be pretty awesome...:D

Overhang gauge

I learned a lot from this and now I have to question how well my cartridge was installed. The guy only used an overhang gauge. The table sounds good to me but am I missing something in the fact that a protractor wasn't used? It's a Sure v-15 III and the stylus he put on is a 4764-DE Generic Stylus. Polished elliptical diamond, .3 x .7 . it says made in Switzerland. The more I read on this forum the more I hear terms like "soundstage and imaging". Is this a tweek that will improve on these aspects? The next question is should I just go ahead and get the Jico sas and a protractor? All the rave about this cartrige is to use the Jico. :scratch2:

Overhang gauge works very well...and MIGHT be spot on...but I would always verify with a protractor...for $16 , you cant beat it.

As to JICO, many people rave...PERSONALLY I am not fond of them and I have seen way too many have diamond shearing issues...I mush prefer a true microline stylus or your native elliptical

excellent video! cleared up a lot of stuff. however, would it not be better to do the cartridge force last as the small change during alignment may change the weight?

Thanks so much for posting that video! Answered a LOT of questions. One thing however, you say that the arm is level, but to my eyes it looks like it's lower in the back. Optical illusion? Along what line should I be sighting that?

Another watcher here. Quite interestingly I watched the video on youtube before joining this forum, so it's a nice surprise the author of such good tutorial is part of this community. Well done: it helped me a lot with my new/old Pioneer PL-518.

There is however one thing I need clarifications about: the precision scale for weighting the vertical tracking force is positioned on the platter, causing the arm being tilted upwards instead of being horizontal. For the correct weighting of the arm, shouldn't the precision scale be positioned outside of the platter so that the arm is weighted when the stylus is at the same level it would be when playing a record?

This video Iis great! As a novice it was very easy to follow and I feel better prepared with my first major system build. Thanks man!

I watched this video this afternoon. Thank you for the accessible overview! As a newb, this makes TT setup accessible and fun.

Last edited:
Just watched the setup video. Very nice job. I have it book marked for a couple of digital friends who have listened to my new VPI Scout Jr setup. Their jaws hit the floor. It was a scream to watch them. So, both are looking for tables and setting aside the funds.
BTW, where did you find the scale? I am shocked at what the audio salons are charging.

Why don't the plastic scale manufacturers just include the divot indentations and save customers the need to manually use an awl?

Because there is no competition. You're going to buy one anyway (not you personally...you in the general sense) and no one is going to come along and offer a better product with the little divot.

They have no incentive to spend money on tooling.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

great video , i just assumed they had things adjusted correctly from where i bought it. I was mistaken . So far I adjusted the anti skate and leveled the unit. Noticed an incredible improvement in sound just doing that . I will get the scale and protractor and finish the job.

Back
Top Bottom