Parallel Resitive Loading

cdk99

I'm restoring a table, the contacts are exposed right now and I don't have any y-adapters, but I'd like to try it.

Can I just connect a resistor across the terminals for each channel?

Also, is there a reason why using the MC setting on my Proton with a DL-160 seems to de-edge highs and fill out the mids a bit? Wondering if I'm doing something similar to the loading by setting it like that.

I'm restoring a table, the contacts are exposed right now and I don't have any y-adapters, but I'd like to try it.

Can I just connect a resistor across the terminals for each channel?

Also, is there a reason why using the MC setting on my Proton with a DL-160 seems to de-edge highs and fill out the mids a bit? Wondering if I'm doing something similar to the loading by setting it like that.
Yes to simply connecting resistors across terminals.

With HOMC carts connected to an input designed for LOMC, input loading forms a divider with the DL-160 coil resistance so coincidentally level match might not be as bad as one might think. However the cartridge operates quite differently, because current load is significantly higher than intended - and so voices somewhat differently. Also coil output impedance may have a more significant role in voicing/EQ of the overall result. HTH! :pawprint:

Thanks, luckydog!

I want to try some 1k resistors and see what that does to voicing on both settings.

'preciate your help.

Need to find the manual to find out what it is, but so far on MM it's less brassy on top and a bit richer in the middle (hollow bodies and voices are rounder), perhaps a bit tighter bass. Does that sound like I'm on the right track?

Looking for manual, then will try MC.

Since I'm building a plinth, pondering the idea of a variable resistor built in beside the RCA's.

Would this one work? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/3310C-001-204L/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvKnC5v18FNSGuZP4PzqH/p

Data sheet...http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/54/3310-61252.pdf

Last edited:
Check your Proton for a high/low output button for the MC input, I know the P-1100 has one.
Also the input resistance will be 100 ohm on the MC setting, the MM would be 47k, I think that aids in dampening any resonance spikes.

My 930 only has MC/MM. And I haven't found the manual, so thanks for the number Buttercup.

I tried it with MC and the 1k resistor and so far it's the best I've gotten out of it. More body and palpability, and I'm hearing more detail. But it bares some records production values and musician's slips.

Placing 1k resistors in parallel with the MM input will reduce the input impedance to 1k and will definitely make an audible difference. 1k might be a bit on the low side. Perhaps you could try 2k or 3k as well, or anything up to about 10k. It would help to know what the source impedance of the DL-160 is, but I couldn't find any specs.

Placing 1k resistors in parallel with the MC input probably won't make any difference because the input impedance is probably well below 1k already. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any info on the Proton amp either, sorry.

So that means I can just use MC then, I'll do a comparison that way next, thank you!

Check your Proton for a high/low output button for the MC input, I know the P-1100 has one.
Also the input resistance will be 100 ohm on the MC setting, the MM would be 47k, I think that aids in dampening any resonance spikes.

Don't take these numbers as fact, the input resistance specs are from the Proton P-1100 pre-amp, not your 930!

I truly wish I understood what you're all talking about. I get resistance, but impedance goes right by me. How can it impede but not resist? Not being smart...

I truly wish I understood what you're all talking about. I get resistance, but impedance goes right by me. How can it impede but not resist? Not being smart...

Think in terms of the opposition to the flow of electricity to keep the terms clear.

Plain resistance and impedance are both a forms of opposition to the flow of electricity.

In simple terms pure resistance (just a resistor) in a circuit behaves the same whether the signal is AC (alternating current) or DC (direct current).

If we also include an inductor, a capacitor or both, then the circuit will behave differently on AC and DC and how it behaves is frequency dependent.

The opposition to the flow of AC electricity when an inductor and/or a capacitor are also included is called impedance. It will vary with frequency.

The contribution to the opposition to the flow of AC electricity by a capacitor is called capacitive reactance and the opposition to the flow of AC electricity contributed by an inductor is called inductive reactance. These values will vary with frequency.

Impedance is made up of the resistance that is in a circuit plus the capacitive reactance (from a capacitor) or inductive reactance (from an inductor) or both.

Impedance in an AC circuit is the sum of the opposition to the flow of electricity from pure resistance in the circuit plus any opposition supplied by a capacitor, inductor or both.

To be clear all circuits will contain at least some resistance, capacitance and inductance, so there will always be a difference in the way the circuit behaves with DC and AC electricity, all though depending on the circuit these differences may be quite small.

It is common practice to refer to the opposition to the flow of electricity in a DC circuit as resistance and the opposition to the flow of electricity in an AC circuit as impedance, even with out knowing the actual make up of the circuit in terms of resistance, capacitance and or inductance.

Phono cartridges, whether moving magnet, moving iron or moving coil all contain an electrical generator made up of a magnet and coils of wire. The coils of wire are inductors and since the audio signal generated by the phono cartridge is AC (alternating current) electricity we speak of a phono cartridge as having specific impedance. This impedance will vary with frequency.

We also speak of the DC resistance of the wire of the coils in the phono cartridge. This does not vary with frequency.

We also speak of the input of the phono preamplifier in terms of its impedance (how it behaves with AC electricity (the signal from the phono cartridge). This will vary with frequency.

We also speak of the purely resistive component of the impedance of the phono preamplifier because phono cartridge manufactures may specify a certain range of DC resistance loading for their phono cartridge. This does not vary with frequency. This is what we vary when adding resistors in parallel (parallel loading) with the input of the phono preamplifier.

We also speak of the capacitance of the input of the phono preamplifier because cartridge manufacturers may specify a range of capacitive loading for their phono cartridge. The contribution to the opposition to the flow of the electricity generated by the phono cartridge will vary with frequency.

To end in simple terms, we speak of the opposition to the flow of electricity in a DC circuit as resistance and the opposition to the flow of electricity in an AC circuit as impedance. The impedance is the sum of the opposition to the flow of AC electricity provided by the plain resistance in the circuit plus the contribution to the opposition to the flow of the AC electricity provided by any capacitance and or inductance. The contribution to the opposition to the flow of AC electricity provided by the capacitance and inductance will vary with frequency.

Resistance can be measured with a DMM but measuring impedance is more complicated.

Impedance and resistance are sometimes (although not correctly) used interchangeably.

JBL GUY, thank you for that. I apprehended parts of it already thanks to your clear explication. Just need to ruminate on other parts. I'll come back to this and reread a few times.

Appols, never mean to use terms which aren't clear. JBL's post is great and sets out the distinction between resistance and impedance. It's not that easy to explain plainly I find.

It's all conceptual really - it's not like we can see or touch or get a bucket full of 'impedance'. Impedance is the thing we care about mostly here, because if we wish to predict what will happen when we say change a loading resistor, we'd need to properly know how the cartridge and preamp behave at different frequencies - ie ac. But if we don't care about prediction/analysis, there's no law (yet) about simply making resistor changes and going pot luck. In practice that is what most people seem to do, trying R loading resistors until they settle on something which works for them, often based on suggestions from others who have tried previously. HTH! :pawprint:

I was just reading about the Gold Rush in California. The geologists couldn't predict where gold would be (plate tectonics was not to be taken seriously for another 120 years or so), their predictions were almost always wrong, but the people who just dug because they loved it found tons it. Two fellows from Germany turned over a random boulder and found gold pebbles underneath.

Something to be said for pot luck. If one digs. :^)

Back
Top Bottom