Sears AM/FM Stereo System/Turntable issue

Gryhon78

Well I just picked up a Sears AM/FM Stereo system model # 132.91714900 its a radio, 8track player/recorder and turntable& 2speakers. $5 and the radio works for sure, not sure as to the 8track yet, but the turntable won't spin. The label on the bottom of the TT says c197/8/1 DF 5133/617 m 18x l3 volts 120v hz 60 amps 0-140 switch rating 5amps 2017000/003 b85 ink stamped Ref no a88 made by BSR. Any leads on how to repair/unstick? motor spins but the platter won't budge.

Common in older BSR turntables is the center bearing gets frozen from dried hardened grease. If the platter is hard to turn by hand that is probably the deal here. Have to remove the platter and clean and oil the bearing/bushing as needed. Also put a drop of oil on the idler wheel bushing.

Good news that is. Any tips or tricks to getting this stuff apart easily? I can be rather brutish when things become stubborn. I took the small c-clip off but the platter doesn't want to slide off.

If the platter is NOT plastic, then remove the mat and apply heat to platter support dowel with a soldering gun. Better yet, try a hair dryer first.

Well I just picked up a Sears AM/FM Stereo system model # 132.91714900 its a radio, 8track player/recorder and turntable& 2speakers. $5 and the radio works for sure, not sure as to the 8track yet, but the turntable won't spin. The label on the bottom of the TT says c197/8/1 DF 5133/617 m 18x l3 volts 120v hz 60 amps 0-140 switch rating 5amps 2017000/003 b85 ink stamped Ref no a88 made by BSR. Any leads on how to repair/unstick? motor spins but the platter won't budge.

Hey I found this exact model that one of the local thrift. I know some of these units can be real POS so I wanted to do some research before I bought it.

Did you get yours up and running?

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom