Replacement for Denon DL-110?

HyKlas

Well, "something" happened to my DL-110 while I was away. :tears: The cantilever is now bent and I need a replacement. Seeing as they have almost tripled in price since I bought it, I want something different (ie; cheaper). Any recommendations? I need a similar cart given it'll be on the low mass arm of my PL-707. One more question.. Are we still legally allowed to apply the rule of thumb in these circumstances? :D

Staying with HOMC is not cheap these days. Can't find any that are less than $200.

Ever considered a MM? Ortofon Red.

Considering the cost of a DL-110 these days, maybe you could get it repaired for less.

And the bent cantilever is causing sound problems?

There have been threads here (and other places) about the DL-110 showing a bent cantilever after use but few have mentioned sound degradation. I think mine might be bent a bit too, but not as much as I've seen in other images - and no sound degradation that I've noticed yet.

But, to answer your question. I've been thinking about the same question and I have my eyes on the Nagaoka MP-110, "vintage" Shure m91e with JICO upgrade and Ortofon 2m red.

Well, "something" happened to my DL-110 while I was away. :tears: The cantilever is now bent and I need a replacement. Seeing as they have almost tripled in price since I bought it, I want something different (ie; cheaper). Any recommendations? I need a similar cart given it'll be on the low mass arm of my PL-707. One more question.. Are we still legally allowed to apply the rule of thumb in these circumstances? :D

I have a quick question: is your cantilever actually bent, or is it skewed to one side or the other? Sometimes people say "bent" when it's actually skewed.

Send it to Andy at the Needle Retipping Services. He can get you set up for a $100 to $150 and give you a better cantilever and diamond than stock. The most cost effective alternative in my book.

Regards
Mister Pig

I have bent my cantilever on my DL110 as well, due to my own stupidity.
But luckily I was able to straighten it again. OK, it was quite a delicate surgery, but with some patience, a good eye and a sensible hand I got it back as straight as new.
Do you have a pic of the cantilever?

I my be behind the power curve, but I was just looking at Denon's on Needledoctor.com and the DL 103 is $229 vs. the DL 110 @ $299, what gives. Isn't the DL-103 a step up from the DL-110 ?? Just read the specs, it's a low output.

Last edited:
I really enjoy my DL-103R on my Pioneer. I purchased it used in Barter Town( I need to resubscribe) a few months ago $150.00.:thmbsp: It's a very forgiving cart/stylus combo that is very musical. My ATOC9ML/II needs to be re-tipped do to my stupid move with a stylus brush handle hitting the cantilever...:tears:. Andy quoted me $200.00 plus freight both ways to re tip it with another ML stylus. I have read so many good things over the years about the DL103 and the newer 103R I went for it. No regrets here with this near new DL103R.

Thanks LAB3. What type of SUT are you using, as this is a low out cartridge ?

I borrowed a Denon AU-300LC SUT from AKer "Autobot" and we used one of my metal head shells for a bit more mass up front with the 103R. It tracks Great with my PL-518X "S" arm. We used a Stevenson protractor from advise from a mod on vinylengine. I think my ATOC9Ml/II had a bit more detail but those ML (Micro Line) and Shibata (my Pickering MM XUV D4500Q)stylus are much more picky about alignment to get the best from them. And if there is a tic in a LP those ML/Shibata stylus will find it, the reason I posted the 103R was a more forgiving cart/stylus combo for the money.

To be honest, this was my first attempt at a HiFi turntable setup. Not opposed to MM carts but I've never critically listed to any, not one. I have tons of DJ carts, as I have mixed for years, but I doubt an Ortofon Nightclub or OM will do me justice here.

I may try to straighten this since I really don't have anything to lose and own many pairs of tiny pliers. If it doesn't work out I will definitely give Andy a shot. Though I really did like this cart, I have absolutely nothing to base an opinion on, no control so to speak...

If I had the cash and time (2 things we never have enough of) I'd roll some carts over this thing and see what I do and don't like. Thanks all for suggestions. I have a few leads to look in to now...

Back
Top Bottom