A T4P/P-mount cart for $60 or less - which one is the least bad?

andx0r

I need a cheap P-mount cart for a cheap P-mount table.

I can see that AT, Ortofon, Gradohummmmm, Nagaoka, and Shure all make at least one in this price range. Who does the best work at this price range?

Depends on your TT and your expectations. The AT92E is pretty much guaranteed listening goodness for just about any table this side of the multiple hundreds price point.

Agreed. The AT92E sells for under $20 on Amazon. Heck of a deal. I'm successfully using one in a Technics SL-D3 via the 1/2" adapter. Works awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Grados, Ortofons, and the Tonar (Nagaoka) all have issues where they track best at more than the 1.25 gram T4P standard tracking force. The Shure is OK (better if you upgrade the stylus). The AT92E is the clear winner at this price point.

Another vote for the AT92E. Hard to beat for the price. Shure makes the M92E which is a nice cartridge as well, but the AT has a much better quality diamond.(all those 92's are confusing) You can upgrade the Shure stylus all the up to an SAS. If stylus upgrades are not a consideration, get the AT92E.

Then there is the vintage market. For $20 more, you could get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Stanton...rd_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item3a977ef0b0

Cheers,
David

For $20 and shipped free from Amazon Prime, I think I'm going to give the AT92E a whirl. :)

For $20 and shipped free from Amazon Prime, I think I'm going to give the AT92E a whirl. :)

The AT-92E is a great choice. It actually performs as well as, or better than some $50 cartridges.

At a later time, if you want better performance, it can be upgraded further than most with genuine styli (that is, not aftermarket). In fact, it can be upgraded right up to a Microline stylus, the best profile available, or at a slightly lower price, a Shibata – both available from lpgear.com, and both genuine Audio Technica quality, although for a (not unreasonable for the performance upgrade) much higher price.

AT 92E is excellent, cheap, and works great on all T4p applications. The Shure is also very good and T4p compliant. As stated earlier on in the thread, Grado, Ortofon, and Nagaoka solutions are not T4p compliant as they need to be tracked outside T4p allowance for tracking force. AT 92E best for your price point, it is a really fine performer here.

I use both the AT92E (upgraded to a hyper-elliptical stylus) and a Shure M92E and latetly, put a N97xE on that . So, both AT and Shure and both are upgrade able.

AT 92E is excellent, cheap, and works great on all T4p applications. The Shure is also very good and T4p compliant. As stated earlier on in the thread, Grado, Ortofon, and Nagaoka solutions are not T4p compliant as they need to be tracked outside T4p allowance for tracking force. AT 92E best for your price point, it is a really fine performer here.

You make an excellent point that not all "p-mount" cartridges are "T4P" compliant. I highly recommend that you check your tracking force with a suitable scale to make sure it is set for the recommended tracking force. Although P-mounts were originally designed to be "plug n play", it is not true for many cartridges. On most Technics P-mount turntables, there is a "fine" adjustment on the back of the tonearm (usually a phillips head screw). I found that when I "upgraded" my Shure M92E with a N97xe stylus, the tracking force was off. I also had to account for adding 0.5g of force to account for the dynamic stabilizer brush. Making sure the tracking force is correct is imperative for the best performance.

Just to repeat... cos' it bears repeating :yes: :

You make an excellent point that not all "p-mount" cartridges are "T4P" compliant. I highly recommend that you check your tracking force with a suitable scale to make sure it is set for the recommended tracking force. Although P-mounts were originally designed to be "plug n play", it is not true for many cartridges. On most Technics P-mount turntables, there is a "fine" adjustment on the back of the tonearm (usually a phillips head screw). I found that when I "upgraded" my Shure M92E with a N97xe stylus, the tracking force was off. I also had to account for adding 0.5g of force to account for the dynamic stabilizer brush. Making sure the tracking force is correct is imperative for the best performance.

:thmbsp:

+1

In my opinion, it is more important to get a p-mount cartridge that meets the T4P standards when it is intended to be used on a low end p-mount turntable (as the original poster was requesting), where adjusting the tracking force will be more difficult. It is much simpler to get a cart that meets the standards, and one is more likely to get good results.

Depends on your TT and your expectations. The AT92E is pretty much guaranteed listening goodness for just about any table this side of the multiple hundreds price point.

I would agree with the consensus re the AT92E. Stay away from the Shure M92E...it's crap. Well, perhaps I should instead say the M92E is not suited to all types of music.

I have other P-mounts but they are no longer available (one of them being a Shure M94E, which is awesome...and fortunately replacement stylus is still available).

And I concur with Decibel. Not all P-mount cartridges are the same. Some are not T4P compliant and need higher tracking forces. No problem for me because I have an MCS table with a P-mount arm/headshell but with a STANDARD counterweight, which is great because with it I can really zero in and fine-tune the tracking force to a particular cartridge. This table also has antiskating adjustment which most P-mount tables do not have. For those who are curious, the table is the MCS 6603 direct drive. It's a rebadged Technics, so the quality is there...and the sound quality is excellent. I'm listening to it now...sweet jazz sound of Mark Levine's "Concepts".

Last edited:
The table in question does already have an AT cart, but it looks sketchy enough that I want to replace it. The table's a Technics SL5 close and play.

I figure for 20 bucks the AT92E should be cheap insurance against damaged records. I know the Technics does have a very slight adjustment in tracking force via a screw, and the Technics' adjustment range matches the AT92E's tracking range.

Indeed, as you desire. And very excellent as it is. A good inexpensive cartridge. Works in every T4p and P mount arm without issues. Much better than it's modest price belies.

Back
Top Bottom