need help rewiring Denon DP-60L arm

smitkoku

So I need to rewire this arm. The wires broke on a couple occasions, and now it is just time to replace them. BUT..... I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it. I've taken the arm apart easily enough. But the wires run to a connector at the very back, which I have photographed. I can't figure out how you can replace the wires. I've tried to take off the back where the wires connect. I pulled out the wires, but the copper pins stayed in the white plastic piece. To make matters worse, I'm not sure which color wire goes into which connector. It looks a little like a DIN connection, but the pin positioning are different. I have the service manual, it says nothing about rewiring the arm. I've searched through all the forums here, as well as vinyl engine to no avail. Can anyone help me out? I don't want to have to find a new arm.... :thumbsdn:

Attachments

• DIN.jpg
    DIN.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 32
  • Inside end.jpg
    Inside end.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 24
  • nothing removable.jpg
    nothing removable.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 23
Good luck!

I own a DP-59L and I have always wondered what I would do if the wires broke? My guess is that you will need a new arm. They do appear on the auction site from time to time. Good luck!

Carl

No, I can't believe that...

Good luck!

I own a DP-59L and I have always wondered what I would do if the wires broke? My guess is that you will need a new arm. They do appear on the auction site from time to time. Good luck!

Carl

Yeah, someone is trying to sell one now for 225. BS! I can't see any reason why it can't be done. There were 5 wires I took out. There MUST be a way to put 5 wires back in. :scratch2:

If I could push the pins through into the tube, then take them out the top. Connect the wires to those pins, feed the wires through, then push the pins back through from the bottom, that seems like it could work. BUT, I need to know which color wire goes to which pin.....

Any thoughts? I really don't want to buy another arm when there isn't anything wrong with this one except $30 worth of wires.....

Typically, in connectors like that the pins have a tab which locks them into the housing. You need an extraction tool to remove the pins and will have to fabricate one.
A suitably sized piece of very thin walled brass tubing would work. Get a piece slightly smaller in inside diameter than needed then swage it out to the correct size. This will thin the tubing wall, too, which is desirable.
Rick

Typically, in connectors like that the pins have a tab which locks them into the housing. You need an extraction tool to remove the pins and will have to fabricate one.
A suitably sized piece of very thin walled brass tubing would work. Get a piece slightly smaller in inside diameter than needed then swage it out to the correct size. This will thin the tubing wall, too, which is desirable.
Rick

If I can remove the pins, why couldn't I just use them again? And what is this extraction tool I need. Sounds promising, thanks.:scratch2:

I think you misunderstood my post. It was instructions for fabricating a suitable pin extraction tool from a piece of brass tubing obtainable from any hobby shop.
Once the pins are extracted, you can, of course, reuse them.
Rick

I think you misunderstood my post. It was instructions for fabricating a suitable pin extraction tool from a piece of brass tubing obtainable from any hobby shop.
Once the pins are extracted, you can, of course, reuse them.
Rick

You are correct. I thought you meant to use a tool then fabricate new pins. Okay, I will give this a whirl.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom