Sony PSX-600 Down

Panamafred

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I came home to possibly the worst case of bad audiokarma last night.

Turn on the old Sony PSX-600 and none of the buttons are responsive. There is a record sensor light which turns on, but none of the display on the front (size, speed, locked) lights up. None of the buttons work- this is an overnight development! What gives?

:sigh::sigh::sigh::thumbsdn:

Nothing in my backup bench comes close to this turntable, anyone have any experience fixing these things? Could it just be a failed transistor or capacitor?

Shit! Where to start?

Woah,

Uh unplug and check if there is power to the control board

This is quite untimely, as I just picked up a psx600 on the weekend.

Its the best table I have used and the musical quality and convenience is fantastic.

I hope an expert can chime in with more info. As before I decided on the psx600, I googled for any failure/fault/broken/issues and hardly anything had come up , especially regarding the biotracer enhanced arm

Right? It's going to be hard to make the step back to something else if I can't fix this one. Congrats on your new get however, this is a sweet table!

The TT is getting power as the record detector light still turns on

Bummer, looks just like my PS-X65 but with a nicer tone arm. I've had to take mine apart several times. Just recently I adjusted the VTA and it stopped working, moved it back and works fine :dunno:

First I would try unplugging (reboot). Next, I would remove the plater, secure the the tone arm and carefully flip it over. Take the bottom cover off and look around.

I've done the following:
-recabled
-lost a channel, it was the auto mute, 3 dirty ball bearings
-replaced a burnt out record sensor light.

Maybe this will help

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=39327

Last edited:
Right? It's going to be hard to make the step back to something else if I can't fix this one. Congrats on your new get however, this is a sweet table!

The TT is getting power as the record detector light still turns on

Check the power switch connections back to the main board that sends and receives input from the controller board. That would probably be the first place I'd go. Does the zero balance button work to disengage the arm resistance?

I would have to agree that the psx600 is a statement table that does everything right. The perfect combination of sophistication executed in simplicity.

Coming from an ATLP1240, TOTL modern audio technica, the 35 yr old Sony is in a whole other league of sonics and the arm seems more reliable and refined than the JVC and DENON cousins..

Please keep the thread updated on your findings!!

^^^yep break out the fluke meter, just checked to make sure mine still works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Glad to see this much interest on a Sunday morning!
There isn't a lot out there on fixing these guys, maybe their just reaching their period of obsolescence? :scratch2:

-"Reboot" failed to change the situation
- zero balance button doesn't do anything anymore either.

Strangely the record selector light still shines otherwise this TT would look as though completely dead. Has worked fine for 2-8 hours a day for the last year, this has me flummoxed.

I realize the next step will be open it up, just don't even know what to look for as this clearly isn't a mechanical failure and the schematic looks like the plans for the millennium falcon.... :D

Hopefully an expert will surface :smoke:

I have a Sony PSX-600 and the record detector lamp does not work but functions fine on LP's. Would replace lamp but don't know the voltage and wattage. I was using it in the garage but when it got cold the turn table "ran away" and would not lock on 33 or 45. Works OK in warm house.

I have a Sony PSX-600 and the record detector lamp does not work but functions fine on LP's. Would replace lamp but don't know the voltage and wattage. I was using it in the garage but when it got cold the turn table "ran away" and would not lock on 33 or 45. Works OK in warm house.

Bulb part number is 1-518-421-00. If it's like my X65 the plater the underside is coated with magnetic like paint, I suspect condensation may cause the speed problem. To nice a table to be left in the garage.

My X65 would not play with a burnt out bulb.

Sam-

I am a little new to the troubleshooting but I have a *bit* of experience, have recapped 2 amplifiers this year so I have some basic tools and knowledge -

Start checking power supply voltages.

By power supply do you basically mean any measurement on the schematic that is listed in volts? I think I see some Volt measurements that are associated with the control panel.

Also, I will be using my DMM set to DC, grounding to the chassis and taking the positive lead to the site of the labelled voltage, right?

I just had an SA-6500ii come off the bench this week, I guess this is my new project! Thanks to everyone who is pitching in, I promise to update with pictures once I get this bugger open!

By power supply do you basically mean any measurement on the schematic that is listed in volts? I think I see some Volt measurements that are associated with the control panel.

That would be the second stage. The power supply is going to (probably) be a separate board, the first thing after the transformer. The service manual should have voltages listed associated with the output connections and various points on the board. Check the output connections first, and if anything is amiss, you can work backwards from there.

From several projects, I've found that the high-tech 70s/80s direct drive tables can be pretty amazingly sensitive to even fairly minor deviations from a properly functioning power supply.

Also, I will be using my DMM set to DC, grounding to the chassis and taking the positive lead to the site of the labelled voltage, right?

Yep.

I just had an SA-6500ii come off the bench this week, I guess this is my new project! Thanks to everyone who is pitching in, I promise to update with pictures once I get this bugger open!

Good luck. Hopefully you figure this out faster than I did my PS-X70. Fixed the initial problems in a few weeks, then took 5 years of on and off tinkering to figure out the last few electronic gremlins...

Speaking of which, if there are any VD1212 varistors in that table (Sony loved the evil little things) change them out for your sanity.

Oh nooooo......
I have a PS-X700 that's acting up........and I stumble onto this thread....
With respect to the op ill start a new thread- good luck to you though sir- and PLEAsE post what you discover!!!

Alright, alright, due to overwhelming demand I have finally opened up the PS-X600.

It took a few minutes but my nerves relaxed and I realized that this isn't such a scary table. I don't see any capacitors that look like they've failed and there was hardly a speck of dust or dried grease within the table.

I poked around looking for points to check voltage - I love when these boards have values printed on them! How ingenious! I was only able to locate 4 locations:

1. On the small green board that was supposed to be 30v, but read 26.5

2. Another on the small green board that was supposed to be -15V and read -15V

3. And another on the small green board that was supposed to +15V and read -1.6V

4. There was a spot to check right underneath the unresponsive control panel that was supposed to read +5V and that read -.5V

I've circled these points in the attached pictures. I guess I need to follow the power supply back from the points it has failed at and find bad transistors?

I am lost in the woods here and greatly appreciate any help, thanks!
:D

Attachments

• DSCN1125.jpg
    DSCN1125.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1131.jpg
    DSCN1131.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1127.jpg
    DSCN1127.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN1129.jpg
    DSCN1129.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 24
Can't tell if capacitors are good or not by looking at them. Shorted caps can sometimes cause the problems you're seeing, but you need to test the semiconductors and probably the resistors in the sections of the power supply that are sending out bad voltages.

I was just in there poking around and found a surprising number of bad transistors - 5+
and I wasn't really keeping track just taking a peek. What are the odds that this many would go at once? They did.

One of these nights I will get serious and catalog which transistors have gone bad.

I'll see you on the dark side of ... board?
I guess since some things will have to come out I would need to flip it over sooner or later.
:eek:

They didn't waste any space on this board! Please look at the close up details, I noticed that there are some patterns which seem to connect separate points- does that denote a common circuit?

I've recapped a few receivers and greased a Dual, but this is pretty new to me, the diagnostic end of the equation. If I can keep this table from becoming a parts table it will only be because of any help I get here. Thanks in advance.

So, sometime next week (daughter turns 3 this weekend, won't be in the basement much!) I guess I will go ahead and try to determine which transistors are bad and write it all down. Have a good weekend!

Attachments

• DSCN1133.jpg
    DSCN1133.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1134.jpg
    DSCN1134.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1135.jpg
    DSCN1135.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom