Garrard changer problem

schoonbeke

I just acquired a Garrard A70 pusher changer to stack 78s. The seller did a great job of cleaning/restoring it, and I love the sound--so punchy and dynamic. But there are a few problems. Most seriously (for me) is that some records with enlarged center holes get wedged in the spindle and will not drop. It seems to me that given the size, shape, and angle of these records, the record platform, and the spindle, these particular records MUST get jammed.

The irony is that I bought this changer because I thought the Garrard pushers were tolerant of imperfect records. Is the A70 an exception? Or is there some way to make it drop these records that I am just not seeing? I would appreciate any advice.

This isn't an answer to your question, but I would think twice about stacking 78s on a changer. Those ancient shellac discs are brittle and may have hairline cracks that you can't see.

stacking

We experience our music in different, individual ways. For myself, I wouldn't enjoy 78s nearly so much if I didn't stack them. (These are not rare and precious records that have to be preserved.)

Solution to Garrard Type A spindle problem

Just in case anyone else is interested, I have been told how to fix--or at least deal with--this problem. The solution requires finding another (hopefully just one) stacking spindle, putting it in a vise, and then reducing the bend (or unbending it) somewhat (probably a little at a time until it works). That should allow it to drop records with an enlarged center hole that have frayed (and therefore gotten a bit thicker) around the center.

Back
Top Bottom