Parasound JC3 and the Zesto Andros 1.2 phono preamps

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
I had the chance to try these two phono preamps in my system over the weekend.

parasound_zesto.jpg

Last night was the Parasound JC3. I really like this pre. The high end has great detail, air and separation. It has the crispness that I like with my horns. The midrange is smooth and full with a nice bottom end. Not to tight, yet not to flabby. The upright bass on Tsuyoshi Yamanoto's Midnight Sugar just snaps, the snare sizzles with the brushes and Tsuyoshi's piano notes hang on air.

ParasoundJC3.jpg

This morning the Zesto Andros 1.2 in the mix. This first thing I noticed is the gain isn't has high. I had to turn the volume up on my linestage. As has been my expience with tubes versus solid state, the tubes have take the edge off the top end. The highs are still there but a tad smoother. This may also explain what seems to be more mid bass and bottom end. I don't know if the pre has increase this or that it is just the perception of more bass because the high end isn't as pronounced. Still the Zesto is a fantastic phono pre. The music has great separation, imaging and depth. If your system is bright, this would really help to tame it.

ZestoAndros.jpg

Wow! Lucky you! How did you manage to get a simultaneous home audition deal?

If I'd have had $2500 more dollars than my Fosgate Signature cost me, an Andros would have been mine, no question.

If you have more observations, I'd love to hear them.

The Andros looks much bigger than I had imagined it from solo photos. Any more impressions of the sound, differences and similarities?

Surprising to me how quickly this thread dropped out of sight with not even an ahhh, let alone an oooo.

Oooo. Ahhh.

Thanks for sharing.

:tresbon:

Interesting thing about the Parasound is that it uses op amps which a lot of people denigrate, it would be interesting to have a side by side with the AD797 stage.

I've always assumed my Luxman L-505u uses op-amps in the phono section, but don't know for sure. If so, Luxman did a very fine job with them. Regardless, the Fosgate Signature has shown me that job can be surpassed. I'd love to hear both those phono preamps.

Back
Top Bottom