In Appreciation of T.A. Edison.

Tesla was a mad genius, read his biography some time.

100 years from now nobody will be saying Facebook was a great invention.

Tesla was a mad genius, read his biography some time.

100 years from now nobody will be saying Facebook was a great invention.

Tesla was an interesting character as well as a genius, but like Edison his creative resource was exhausted rather early in his career.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Edison was my childhood hero. My opinion of him dropped when I read about his thing with George Westinghouse. Really low blows. Was it really necessary to electrocute an elephant to prove a point? Kind of a dick move.
And Westinghouse had the better idea anyway. Period.
Tesla was pretty cool too. Albeit a little weird, but an incredible mind, maybe too brilliant.

But when I read about Archimedes, WOW..that guy was a thinker.
Archimedes didn't make a movie, a record or the light bulb, but he did invent the screw. Talk about contributing to civilization!
Loved his quote: "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
His Antikythera mechanism hasn't been figured out yet and his "Heat Ray", (though debated) is really clever and simple. The "block and tackle pulley" system is another great one.
Much more than "The Eureka Guy". He's my new hero.

That being said, it is amazing how much rich information can be put on a piece of plastic. The epitome of "Analogue", no argument there.

Thank you Mr Edison. You may no longer be my hero, but what you did adds joy to my life.

We were using whale oil for our lamps until the last part of the 19th century. Kerosene, because of it's better fragrance, took over until the use of Mr. Edison's electric lamp.

I would not condemn 19th century pioneers simply because they lacked 21st century sensibilities.

I think I will get out the ol' rod and reel and go murder some fish. (Not really, but you see my point.)

Last edited:
All because of those wiggly grooves in wax, er... vinyl ...

I'm afraid that, in this instance, it has become less "the what" and more "the who". (Not to be confused with Townshend and the gang.)

Last edited:
We were using whale oil for our lamps until the last part of the 19th century. Kerosene, because of it's better fragrance, took over until the use of Mr. Edison's electric lamp.

I would not condemn 19th century pioneers simply because they lacked 21st century sensibilities.

I think I will get out the ol' rod and reel and go murder some fish. (Not really, but you see my point.)

Kerosene is where John D. Rockefeller comes in with the Standard Oil Company, but that's another thread topic. While daylight historically regulated activity for most, whale oil or earlier, olive oil lamps were a luxury, with candles the historical option for those that could afford them after dark before kerosene lamps brought oil light to the masses, with feeble candle light the only other option for after sunset light for those who could afford them. Electric lighting displaced the oil lamplight in time and provided relatively safer and cheaper light where and when it was needed. The gratitude to Edison was genuine from those that remembered the times.

The ethics of conduct are always a matter of concern for those who consider such a matter of public interest, such as profit over safety, or trust agreements to artificially inflate profits or regulate wages at the lowest possible rate.

Last edited:
All hail the first guy (or gal) who picked up the burning stick and discovered that it was hot.

Don't even think about mentioning the guy who invented the wheel. He introduced humans to thousands of years of animal abuse.

Last edited:
Since were on the subject of standing on the shoulders of others accomplishment (not denouncing the pioneers of industry and innovation already mentioned), here's a surprise I found out about 6 months ago:

tumblr_nen3wefwHa1u0k8dzo1_1280.jpg

Personally I think Tesla should have hit her up for a date...

Last edited:
Man you guys are ruthless. How about Mr. Rockerfeller or the Facebook founder. Many great contributions were made by people who were otherwise not nice people, Wow.

As all human beings are , we are both great and we all have flaws . It's the nature of the beast .

Edison is also credited for motion pictures and motion picture entertainment. The story of Hollywood is supposedly based on movie makers in search of reliable outdoor sunlight putting distance between themselves and Edison's patent enforcement process servers ftom New Jersey.

I think of Edison as a practical inventor, rather than theoretical inventor like Tesla.

From what I've read the people working for Edison did the actual "inventing" even though he got all the credit. He had several Steve Wozniaks to his being a Steve Jobs of the day back then.

Hedy Lamarr. She's one well rounded intellectual. I must acquire some of her films.

Sorry, Elfasto, about the demise of your cherished Radio Shack. Maybe they can re-organize and return to those glorious days of yesteryear. (Before they sacrificed everything for cellphones.)

I remember, fondly, the perusing of Radio Shack, Allied Electronics and Heathkit catalogs.

Back
Top Bottom