Record Store Day 2015 Purchases/Listening

Could not go to RSD yesterday so I went online last night and found a still sealed 2014 RSD LP I wanted (Iron Butterfly~Heavy) and got it for $10.

I got the dolly parton release, the grass is blue

Sounds amazing

Also found a couple of Keith Whitley's in the 4.98 bin. All in all a good day

Well, we arrived at Main Street Jukebox 9:05, no line, but more of a crowd inside than in previous years. My Donna went a little wild, noting she only buys music on the 2 RSDs each year, whereas I have cut back on acquisitions, and get a few at yard and estate sales now and then, as I have too many used LPS to clean and properly organize at this point.
We've listened to about half at this point, some are curiosities, some are non-RSD replacements or better copies of pieces we already have, and some are recordings we had been hoping to find.
In no particular order other than by size, we bought,
7 inch:
Stiff Records Box Set, Ten Big Stiffs
Side by Side, Dark Globe
Side by Side, Kingdom Come
Bowie Picture Disk (PD)Changes
Coldplay, Midnight
Hendrix, Purple Haze
Van Dyke Parks, Come to The Sunshine
Zappa, 200 Motels Overture
Dylan, The Night We Called It A Day
10 inch:
Cassandra Wilson/ Billie Holiday, You Go To My Head/ The Mood That I'm In RSD
12 inch
Mystical Weapons, Grotesque (Sean Lennon et. al., WNYC Live Broadcast)
Beatles, 1967-1970
Boogie Nights Soundtrack
Doors, Strange Days Mono 180g
Dolly Parton, The Grass is Blue
Gov't Mule, Stoned Side Vol. 2 180g RSD?
Otis Redding, Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul 180g RSD 2LP set w/45 single
Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon 180g RSD
Bruce Springsteen, The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle 180g RSD
Bruce Springsteen, Darkness On The Edge OF Town 180g RSD
Johnny Winter, It's My Life Baby NOTE: This one has a half-dozen pops and clicks
We've yet to listen to:
The Stooges, Have Some Fun, RSD
The Decemberists, Picaresque 180g RSD
Jaco Pastorius, Anthology RSD
Sun Ra, Calling Planet Earth 180g RSD
Thelonious Monk, The London Collection Volume 2 RSD CLEAR Vinyl!
Eno/Hyde, Someday World 2 LP Set
Eno, My Squelchy Life RSD
Zappa, Finer Moments 180g 2LP Set

Whew, gonna need a new stylus on the TT

I picked up the Joan Jet LP, the Rocky Horrer Show, EP and the Headwig and the Angry Inch featuring Neil Patrick Harris LP. At Sisters of Sound in Manhatten, KS. Did anyone else get the Headwig release? I am on a business trip and haven't been able to listen to it yet. I love the original soundtrack.

The Miles Davis box set was priced at eighty bucks before tax etc. I did all of my RSD shopping at Zia's, where we had a hundred-buck store credit for like four or five boxes of books that we took in some time ago. I went to two of their stores -- the first being much closer to us. I bought everything except the Curtis Fuller at the first store, applying the store credit and some cash, which generated points (that registered immediately on their computer), and by the time I found the Fuller record at the second store, it cost me under eleven bucks. All told, my haul cost $62.

Zia's:

http://www.ziarecords.com/

Just opened the Deep Purple 7". No obvious passing flaws. Sounds a little on the dark side.
The 45 opens from the top for those of you that would like to keep the cello on.

Did pretty good...spinning Blue Mountain now, excellent record!

fdVdJAI.jpg

Wasn't able to go yesterday (or am not into standing in lines), but managed to grab the Bowie/Verlaine 7" today. Saw the price of the Otis Blue LP and thought better...

Wasn't able to go yesterday (or am not into standing in lines), but managed to grab the Bowie/Verlaine 7" today. Saw the price of the Otis Blue LP and thought better...

My wife asked for the Otis Blue and the Simon & Garfunkel 7"; I got her Homeward Bound, but I ordered the Sundazed reissue of Otis Blue because of the price difference. Plus, she doesn't really need a mono mix and a stereo mix!

I stopped in today and picked up the Stooges record; I flip-flopped on it yesterday, decided I wanted it today...

I went to goodwill on record store day and scored about 25 interesting records among them empire stikes back double lp, rush exite stage left, richard prior bicentenial nigger, and a slew of earl 80s rock

Haven't listened to any yet, but I've verified that the mono Doors "Strange Days" fits perfectly into the 2008 box set, where it should have been in the first place. :D

My wife asked for the Otis Blue and the Simon & Garfunkel 7"; I got her Homeward Bound, but I ordered the Sundazed reissue of Otis Blue because of the price difference. Plus, she doesn't really need a mono mix and a stereo mix!

I stopped in today and picked up the Stooges record; I flip-flopped on it yesterday, decided I wanted it today...

I plan on doing the same with Otis Blue.

I hiked out to Joe's Records in the Mt. Vernon mall with 2 purchases in mind: Goldfrapp's "Felt Mountain" and the Dead Milkmen's "Beezelbubba". No goldfrapp, and I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help? Anywho, playing the DM now and it sounds great! Classic album!

Attachments

• DSCF2512.jpg
    DSCF2512.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 23
The quality control on the Savoy repress of Curtis Fuller's Bluesette isn't good; mine has an underfill on the B side. Listening to The Resident's Intermission EP right now, and this sounds much better. And stranger too, of course.

Back
Top Bottom