Record Store Day 2015 Purchases/Listening

clucking

(Understanding that some of you are pissed off and feel it's gimmicky, ruining the market for cheap LPs, and overrun by hipsters, let's please put that aside for the moment and ask...)

For those of you that bought any of the 2015 Record Store Day special releases:
what did you get, how do they sound, and what band did you see/meet-n-greet? It's still 3 hours before Stinkweeds here in Phoenix opens, I'll report back afterwards.

I just made the short walk to my office from Back Door Records in Johnson City, Tennessee, which opened at their usual 11am. I showed up at 7am and was 7th in line. I arrived with $300 and managed to make it out with change back.

I'm spinning Stripped by Daniel Ash right now, a double LP of new recordings/arrangements from his back catalogue (Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Love and Rockets plus solo work). The price was high for a double LP, but I'm a big fan and really wanted it. I already own several of the coloured vinyl reissues on Drastic Plastic Records (this one is yellow), and this one sounds very nice, just like all of the others. So far, I'm really enjoying this.

(Understanding that some of you are pissed off and feel it's gimmicky, ruining the market for cheap LPs, and overrun by hipsters, let's please put that aside for the moment and ask...)

For those of you that bought any of the 2015 Record Store Day special releases:
what did you get, how do they sound, and what band did you see/meet-n-greet? It's still 3 hours before Stinkweeds here in Phoenix opens, I'll report back afterwards.

Wow, ruining the market for cheap LP's? Really? New records now are the same price as 45 years ago when I was in high school, counting for inflation of course.

Yeah, RSD is broken but it is what it is.

Carl

Crappy cell phone photos of the Daniel Ash on the turntable, and the rest of what I bought.

Frank Sinatra ~ Songs for Young Lovers 10" LP
Miles Davis ~ The Prestige 10-inch LP Collection, Vol. 2
Johnny Marr ~ "I Feel You" 7" single (Depeche Mode cover)

Swans ~ s/t 12" EP
The Replacements ~ Alex Chilton 10" EP

Curtis Fuller ~ Bluesette 12" LP
Brian Eno ~ My Squelchy Life 12" LP
The Residents ~ Intermission 12" EP

Attachments

• 20150418_134815[1].jpg
    20150418_134815[1].jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20150418_134843.jpg
    20150418_134843.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 78
Record Store Day for me was much the same as it has been the past several years, except that us customers that always show up at the head of the line all know each other better year after year. Generally,the college kids were looking for the White Stripes reissue, while us older guys have different tastes.

Only thing I looked at on ebay today was the pocket knife I won this morning ($13 shipped for a green Schrade Century pseudo-SAK).

Record Store Day is what you make of it.

Last edited:
Picked up all of these for a total of $58 CAD
c6644f0d964d39c23633530021821d23.jpg
4255230949eb193f4c45831519f48cdc.jpg
18afe4aab12ca0298310773128fb3801.jpg

Record Store Day is what you make of it.

That's a good attitude!

I refuse to support scalpers who throw the stuff on eBay. I won't be the one to let those jerks make a profit.

But there's not a HUGE amount that I've missed, either. This year, I got the Joan Jett & the Blackhearts 2xLP of B-sides, singles, and covers called Flashback. I also got a 10" single from Garbage, a 7" single from Big Data called Dangerous which was pretty rad, and a Kinks EP

The guy who runs the store I went to actually held a copy of the Joan Jett for me because he knows how huge a fan I am. There was a line out the door (with someone making sure no more than a fire dept-approved number could be in at the same time), and as I waited outside, the guy at the door leaned in for a few seconds before walking outside with the LP. I had a stupid grin on my face.

AND I got to try a vegan donut (which the people selling put signs up telling us they didn't suck, which was true).

So there's certainly problems with it, but RSD left me pretty happy this morning.

I fell while walking from one record store to another with my purchases luckily only I got damaged not my records but man I'm in pain still had a great day for the finds I had because it is very hard to find West Coast hip hop around these parts

Wow, ruining the market for cheap LP's? Really? New records now are the same price as 45 years ago when I was in high school, counting for inflation of course.

Yeah, RSD is broken but it is what it is.

Carl

Ok, thanks. So did you buy anything?

Last edited:
I fell while walking from one record store to another with my purchases luckily only I got damaged not my records but man I'm in pain still had a great day for the finds I had because it is very hard to find West Coast hip hop around these parts

Three years ago I broke my small toe, stubbing it against the bathroom door post, early in the morning of Record Store Day. I limped around using an umbrella for an ad hoc walking stick, bought the records I desired, and survived the experience. It wasn't until I saw the bruise the following morning that I realized how much damage I had done.

Three years ago I broke my small toe, stubbing it against the bathroom door post, early in the morning of Record Store Day. I limped around using an umbrella for an ad hoc walking stick, bought the records I desired, and survived the experience.
We can't be stopped. I'm currently enjoying one of my new pickups right now

Happily walked out with what I went in for, The Decemberists 'Picaresque'
985d1fa92fda96380725716e6e60f937.jpg

My buddy walked out with the Slayer 7", Metallica cassette and the Joan Jett LP.

~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
Spinning the Replacements' "Alex Chilton" EP now. I played the B-side first since those were the non-LP songs, now I'm on the A-side with the songs I am familiar with. Great sound, Rhino pressing with the period Sire label, 45rpm on a 10" record, where the original was UK-only 7" EP.

"I never travel far, without a little Big Star"

I too got the Decemberists album. Saw that Metallica, kinda wish I'd picked it up. Here's what else I ended up with:

Neko Case: Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
Robert Plant: More Roar 10"- (recent live tracks)
Gov't Mule: Stoned Side of the Mule Vol. 2 (I missed out on Vol. 1 last year)
Doc & Merle Watson: Ballads from Deep Gap - remastered from original tapes
Willie Nelson: Teatro
Garcia: Garcia (Compliments)

and I'm right now listening to Goldfrapp: Felt Mountain, which is *fantastic*, and sounds like a million bucks.

What a great day. Just the fact that I got my husband out of bed at 6 am to come with me to stand in line is just awesome in of itself. :banana: I love him so much!

We went to Newbury Comics at the Buckland Mall in Manchester and had a great experience.

The store really did a great job today. They gave everyone a numbered ticket and had you write your list out on the ticket. Each order was filled first come first served and the bags were waiting at the register when the store opened.
Sweet deal!
No fighting and no tall dudes reaching over, around and pushing me out of the way.
Really had fun today!
Lots of flippers in line with me the $$ they make is crazy.
Forgot to put the Stooges on my list. Dang it!!! Really upset about that. Oh well.

Enjoying Eno's My Squelchy Life. Sounds really fantastic. Grab a copy if you can.

snow

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 52
Unfortunately both record stores I went to did not have the exclusives I wanted. but I did score a hell of a deal on a few other records so I can't complain too much

Larry Young: "In Paris: the ORTF Recordings". Resonance 10"
Miles Davis: "The Prestige 10 inch LP Collection, Volume Two"
Curtis Fuller's Quintet: "BLUES ette" Savoy 12"
Sun Ra: "Calling Planet Earth" Org 12"
Sun Ra: "Planets of Life or Death: Amiens '73" Strut 12"

a good grab. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom