In Appreciation of T.A. Edison.

Stevedel

The question is not how a piece of pressurized carbon can follow a groove cut into a vinyl disk as to reproduce sound, but how it can do it so well.

So, thank you Mr. Edison, for so many things.

Last edited:
A posthumous thank-you to Mr. Edison for giving us so many things that we enjoy and take for granted. I would not be enjoying the coffee, whiskey, AK, and the Pink Floyd right now if not for your efforts.

The question is not how a piece of pressurized carbon can follow a groove cut into a vinyl disk as to reproduce sound, but how can it do it so well?

So, thank you Mr. Edison, for so many things.

Edison players used wax cylinders ...
The disc players were Emile Berliner's Gramophone -

And both those players were a long way from the electronic LP record players we are famliar with.

Earlier this year, someone had recommended Greg Milner's book
"Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music" - I finished it a few weeks back and highly recommended it to all the music fans here!

Its not TOO technical but does have enough tech to tell the tale well.

http://smile.amazon.com/Perfecting-.../1862079420/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429384998

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0..._laughter_as_jayz_tidal_waves_goodbye_to_56m/

On Wednesday, I attended the unveiling of an IEEE Milestone plaque to commemorate the invention of stereo recording in 1931 by the prodigious scientist-engineer Alan Dower Blumlein. The event was hosted by Abbey Road Studios, where in 1934 Blumlein demonstrated his invention by recording the London Philharmonic Orchestra in stereo within a single groove on a gramophone disc.

This was just one of the 128 patents earned by Blumlein before his untimely death in a plane crash at the age of 38. His life’s work revolutionised everything from audio to telephony to transatlantic cables to television to radar.

Edison is more fondly remembered than deserved in the opinion of many as is Henry Ford, his close personal friend. Their contributions were undeniable but not role model worthy in truth.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Edison is more fondly remembered than deserved in the opinion of many as is Henry Ford, his close personal friend. Their contributions were undeniable but not role model worthy in truth.

There's a lot of truth in that.

I have to agree that Edison is a great example of entrepreneurship and certainly had some great ideas, but after studying Tesla and the relationship he had with Edison, I don't feel the same way about him as I did prior. I have been a Tesla fan for years.

Well, if Edison had his way, we wouldn't be chasing AC hum from our power supplies,,,he wanted to power the world with DC... Tesla came along with AC for the masses!!

Man you guys are ruthless. How about Mr. Rockerfeller or the Facebook founder. Many great contributions were made by people who were otherwise not nice people, Wow.

There was a special on PBS "American Masters" if I'm not mistaken on the title re: Thomas Edison. Excellent 2 hour (I think) program. It's probably available on the PBS website. It's also available via services like Amazon Fire TV. Heck, maybe even Youtube at this stage of our mass communication explosion. ;)

They ran a special about Bing Crosby, Johnny Carson, and Henry Ford this winter as well. Really interesting stuff. Music, comedy, automobiles and Edison for many other things. There may have even been an episode re: Tesla. He too was a genius. Bell, Ford, Edison, Tesla, etc., etc. Amazing progress via these and others.

Man you guys are ruthless. How about Mr. Rockerfeller or the Facebook founder. Many great contributions were made by people who were otherwise not nice people, Wow.

Do some research into Henry Ford's connection both with the rise of Hitler in the 1920s and ongoing corporate support of the Nazis prior to and during World War 2.

Do some research into Henry Ford's connection both with the rise of Hitler in the 1920s and ongoing corporate support of the Nazis prior to and during World War 2.

Henry Ford's revival and printing of the fabricated "Protocols of the Elders Of Zion" did for Jews what D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" did for AfroAmericans, tho with Ford the harm was totally intentional. Hitler appreciated his contribution, Edison shared Ford's viewpoint.

Last edited:
His revival and printing of the fabricated "Protocols of the Elders Of Zion" did for Jews what D. W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" did for AfroAmericans, tho with Ford the harm was totally intentional. Hitler appreciated his contribution, Edison shared Ford's viewpoint.

Hmmmmm. Thanks for the history lesson. I'm on it. I guess I thought we were talking about technical stuff here. I'm going to read up on the statements here, but please don't look in my closet!

Hmmmmm. Thanks for the history lesson. I'm on it. I guess I thought we were talking about technical stuff here. I'm going to read up on the statements here, but please don't look in my closet!

Plenty of folks deserve our respect but they are usually the quiet ones. Check out George Westinghouse for someone that does in all respects.
He is directly responsible for safe reliable railway service, the improved steam turbine for American power generation and ship steam drive, broadcast radio in the US, and with Tesla the AC power system used worldwide, amongst other many accomplishments a believer and practitioner of fair and safe labor practices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom