I got me the Denon DP-37F turntable blues

hwystar

Its a nice looker and sounds great, even came with a Grado black cartridge with an excellent stylus to boot. It just has some issues.

The issues...Will not auto cue, tonearm drops abruptly after a delay when down button is pressed, will not auto return. When forced to return with stop button turntable will not shut off.

So this is what I do. I can either manually cue it after the start button is pressed. I can do this by the real manual method or I can press the up/down button and place it over the groove and press the up/down button again with my finger under the finger catch so it doesn't bang down on the record. At the end of play I can manually return it or hit the stop button and the arm will lift and return then but the platter will not stop until I hit the power button.

I was hoping for some insight to what the trouble might be but I'm thinking this is a full blown electronic / logic problem that is not an easy fix. I'll probably just keep on playing it this way because I like the way it is sounding in my system right now.

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 76
Hope you work it out. Those are beautiful decks - afraid I'm not the guy to help you tho. Is the service manual on vinyl engine?

I watched a DP33L beat itself to death one day. As soon as I plugged it in, the arm started to swing wildly back and forth at a high rate of speed. It broke the arm stop pin off underneath and then the real fun began. I don't work on Denons anymore, they scare me, I hate to admit.

Last edited:
The 35F, 45F, and 47F all have service manuals on VE. Which one is most like the 37F I wonder.

Google, there is a little info out there on some adjustments but not a lot. This is where the microprocessor becomes a liability, instead of a benefit

To try and fix the dropping cue problem, readjust the vertical pivot screws. Loosen the two locking nuts and back out the two inner set screws a tad, then screw back in until they just bottom. Snug the outer locking nuts back down. The pivot screws are located at the back of the tonearm on both sides.

Owning a DP33F with TA issues as well I am sad to say resources and repairs are hard to come by. Most likely it is the microprocessor and I have a computer whiz relative willing to give it a look but all audio repair efforts have so far failed.
My issues are as follows:
Auto start button depressed sends TA to the spindle directly/
Stop button depressed sends TA direct to spindle
End of LP has TA lift but no return

I do use it manually though with no issues. Since the TA is "electronically" controlled it is vitally important to not try to force it. Power off and back on should cancel any auto features previously applied letting you go full manual. I get no resistance or bad tracking this way.

Many of these solutions came from folks here and if you search Denon DP33F here you may find some of my old threads.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the screw adjustments for cue drop. If that problem gets solved it would be one step in the right direction. I see the manual for a 35f gives some electronic adjustments for the tonearm using an oscilloscope to set voltages. I'll give it a whirl. Couldn't a multimeter be used for those voltage measurements?

I guess you are mentioning the vertical and horizontal opamp adjustment. I have not read the sm for the 35F but the sm for the 52F only requires a dmm to read the voltages. Make sure you are working on the arm control board and not the motor control board. Both boards have trim pots that can be adjusted.

That's the ones. The trim pots are located through holes in the top of the deck however, under the platter. There is also a tracking force trim for a total of 3 adjustments.

Make sure you use a plastic adjustment tool so in case you miss or slip off the adjustment you don't short some thing out. The tracking force and q-damping adjustments are on the top of the plinth by the tonearm rest. Some of these tables can be adjusted with the holes through the top while others have to be adjusted from the bottom with the bottom cover removed. Some tables have the holes while others don't. If you are relying on the sm you are using, just be aware that these tables vary a lot in their configuration from model to model.

They do vary quite a bit I'm sure, that's why I wish there was a manual specific to my model. That being said the service manual for the 35f and 45f shows a picture that looks just like mine. The user controls for Q damping and Tracking force/anti skate are on top by the tonearm as you mention but the V5 under the platter is for a service tech to calibrate it I suppose.

My Dp-52F looks like yours also but adjusts from the bottom. My V-5 is the adjuster by the tonearm.

The manual can be bought for $5.00 form a few sites in pdf format. Not a bad deal at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom