Dual 1249 missing stuerpimpel?

steve65

This turntable functions, but skips due to friction in the rotation of the tonearm as it tracks inward. It is stiff. Is my stuerpimpel gone? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC01641.jpg
    DSC01641.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC01642.jpg
    DSC01642.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC01643.jpg
    DSC01643.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 105
It's pretty safe to assume that the steuerpimpel is ALWAYS gone. The problem you are having sounds like it too, and in your second picture you can see the pin on which the guide (AKA steuerpimpel) is supposed to sit and it doesn't appear to be there. It's beneath that fan shaped plastic part in the top middle.

So, is the tonearm stiff when you try to move it inwards? In other words, it doesn't track smoothly across the record? If that is the case, the missing steuerpimpel might not have anything to do with it.

These 1249's are changers and you can adjust the height of the tonearm to compensate for stacking records. If you rotate the mechanism that lifts the tonearm up, after all of these years, the stiff grease inside that pivot will/may cause the arm to move stiffly. I'm not saying this is what's wrong with yours. But I have that exact model and one day I rotated that mechanism and sorely regretted it. The tonearm became stiff and would not track smoothly across a record. I had to remove the tonearm, the mechanism, the bearings - all of it - clean it and re-grease. I have never raised the tonearm since then. Have no idea what would happen if I did.

the steuerpimple is located on the post under the black paddle and is a clutch pad that allows the paddle to grab and move the tonearm. you can dyi one, just make sure its 1mm taller than the post it sits on. the skips are not caused by this. you should statically balance the arm so it floats w/ the anti skate set to 0 then set the arm at the spindle and increase the anti skate. it should float back to the arm rest. if not something is binding (wire ,guide plate,ect..) get the manual and read it a few times before you start adjusting things. not sure about the 1249 but if this has the multi/single tonearm lift check the rubber washer (2nd photo w/the caramel colored grease in it ) if its hard or cracked the bearings that it holding wont seat and can cause binding.. good luck

somewhere on the WWW is a site that claims you can make that steuer thingy out of a short piece of an ink pen cartridge.

somewhere on the WWW is a site that claims you can make that steuer thingy out of a short piece of an ink pen cartridge.

just about anything that will fit and is pliable enough to provide grip. i used the tip cover from a test lead.

The thing that needs to be stressed, however, is what others have said. The stiffness in the arm in playing position, causing the stylus to skip (it's actually stickng), is not caused by a missing guide (stuerpimpel). Something is binding in the arm pivoting.

Is the cueing mechanism completely lowering?

Doug

Last edited:
Those "niner" changers from Dual have sometimes an issue with the "mode selector". That is a kind of rubber ring that holds the bearing in the tonarm-height-selection-process (the little lever with "S" and "M" or "single" and "multi" markings). When this ring is broken or missing, the tonarm is impared in it's movement.
Fixing this means disassembling the tonarm (at least the base) and replacing the broken (or missing) rubber ring with a 3/8'' rubber seal.

The Steuerpimpel is only used in the tonarm transportation process in the automatic modes. It's out of contact with the tonarm while playback.

Those "niner" changers from Dual have sometimes an issue with the "mode selector". That is a kind of rubber ring that holds the bearing in the tonarm-height-selection-process (the little lever with "S" and "M" or "single" and "multi" markings). When this ring is broken or missing, the tonarm is impared in it's movement.
Fixing this means disassembling the tonarm (at least the base) and replacing the broken (or missing) rubber ring with a 3/8'' rubber seal.

The Steuerpimpel is only used in the tonarm transportation process in the automatic modes. It's out of contact with the tonarm while playback.

X2, if the steuerpimpel is gone, it's also very likely the rubber ring is rotted as well. I've had this occur on two Duals. The 1st was a 1249 that Bill fixed, the second a 1229 I fixed with the fuel injection o ring (Help! part 90100). If you're mechanically inclined you can do this with a little patience. After fixing this, then you can get the steuerpimpel replaced, you'll go nuts if you try to fix the pimple first.

Post how you make out. You are in two areas I stay out of with Dual's. No arms or steurpimpls. Good luck!

Eric, the home of many Dual's.

I wouldn't spend more than .50 for a steuerpimple. They can be easily made at home. Again, the steuerpimple is the cart and the shaft sleeve is the horse. If the horse isn't up for pulling, the cart ain't movin. Take a real close look at the rubber sleeve, it's likely cracked and if you tap it with a screwdriver it will come apart. (CAUTION: if you do this beware of the ball bearings that sleeve is holding). The added resistance with this sleeve/bearings will make the table randomly skip/stick AND create enough drag to make the auto feature problematic. Once a new sleeve and greased bearings are taken of you can make a steuerpimple.

Im dealing with a 521. It too needs this steuerpimpelnbut there is a similar pin nearby too, does this also get a cap (steuerpimpel?)?

On my 521 the lift lever isn't engaging the plate underneath as if the plate is always in the lift position.

I have a 1228, mine was gone when I took ownership too. The part is from the factory a little plastic cap if you will. I cut a short section from a rg59 or equiv cable. Removed the outer black sheath, braid and internal conductor so I was left with a small tubular piece of semi stiff plastic. I think slowly trimmed the ID so it would fit snugly on the post. Its been working fine ever since. IMO probably one of the easier fixes, once you force your brain to go DIY not just look for a replacement PN on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom