Any fans of Art Dudley's Listener?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Of all the audio magazines I have read, my all time favourite is Art Dudley's magazine, Listener. Art is actually a true journalist, so other than maybe The Absolute Sound during it's heyday, Listener was about the best written audio magazine I ever read. The articles were always interesting and informative, even if you weren't interested in the gear he was reviewing. Really an incredibly enjoyable magazine to read.

Any other fans?

I discovered Listener about the same time I discovered Fi, only to see both go under within a short time of each other.

No more bunnies.

Of all the audio magazines I have read, my all time favourite is Art Dudley's magazine, Listener. Art is actually a true journalist, so other than maybe The Absolute Sound during it's heyday, Listener was about the best written audio magazine I ever read. The articles were always interesting and informative, even if you weren't interested in the gear he was reviewing. Really an incredibly enjoyable magazine to read.

Any other fans?

Oh yes! Listener was my absolute favorite audio magazine!

I used to buy my copy off the newsstand and eagerly awaited it. Its tight focus on quality 2-channel, vinyl-based home audio was pretty narrow for general consumption, which is probably what did it in, but was right on-target for me and the stuff that I cared about then.

Fortunately, Dudley's Listening column and other features in Stereophile still carry though a lot of the flavor of the old Listener magazine. He is an excellent writer and I really enjoy his work.

I like Art Dudley in general. Just a cool guy. Excellent audio journalist...I enjoy his openess. Often if he doesn't know something he is brutally honest about it. I appreciate that.

Tremendous fan of the Listener; almost cried when it went under. I think I still have some mags here somewhere.

I like Art Dudley in general. Just a cool guy. Excellent audio journalist...I enjoy his openess. Often if he doesn't know something he is brutally honest about it. I appreciate that.

+1
Wish I'd known about Listener when it was around.

The thing about reading Listener is that it is still relevant. You can pick up an issue today that is 10 years old, and get more out of it than any of the new mags. It really is that much fun to read.

That's funny; I just looked over the weekend through my (complete) collection of Listener mags for an article that Art wrote on Linn LP12 setup. A very enjoyable afternoon. In fact, I bought a few of the components that were favorably reviewed in the in the mag, and still have them. It was fun to reread the reviews.

I still have mine too...quite a magazine!

I really read Listener in ways I haven't read many publications since...cover to cover, every word, every if I didn't have the slightest idea what the hell they were talking about. I was a big solid state amp guy, but LOVED reading about tubes and horns, and Spendors...in addition to Mr. Dudley, the late Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg's writing was exceptional.

...oh, and I learned a lot about "The Band" too :)

I've kept all of my Listener magazines, can't say I've ever done that for any other journal. He's the sole reason I've kept my subscription to Stereophile going.

I liked Listener because it was one of only two magazines (the other being Sound Practices) that regularly covered horn speakers. Unorthodox.

My involvement in this hobby at any serious level happened after Listener ceased to exist. Art Dudley's column is one of the reasons I still pick up Stereophile- I wish that the rest of them had his sense of humor and his seeming grasp of reality and following whatever path he wants to.

I loved Listener and still re-visit issues from time to time - they do seem very timeless, at least to me and what I found works in audio.

Probably the only magazine I enjoyed more was Sound Practices - another I re-read regularly (I have the whole run) as it speaks right to the heart of the systems I love.

I loved Listener and still re-visit issues from time to time - they do seem very timeless, at least to me and what I found works in audio.

Probably the only magazine I enjoyed more was Sound Practices - another I re-read regularly (I have the whole run) as it speaks right to the heart of the systems I love.

Bill, I still have a bunch of your issues of Listener in storage. In a box. Somewhere. They are safe. Just need to go through them and get them back to you.

I was hoping I could talk Erik into becoming a "Listener" lending library for those of us not fortunate enough to have been privy to it in the day. :)

Back
Top Bottom